OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper Orthography of St. Cyril's "one nature" phrase  (Read 668 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »

Howdy -

In writing a short paper for seminary, I'm a bit stuck on how to write a certain Greek phrase--the key "one incarnate nature of God the Word"--is the phrase spelled, "μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λóγου σεσαρκωμένη," or μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λóγου σεσαρχωμένη"

I'm a stickler for language, so any help you'd be able to give would be appreciate.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:39:15 AM »

Interesting how the first is found in St. John of Damascus
http://books.google.com/books?id=0PIUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1192&lpg=PA1192&dq=%CE%BC%CE%AF%CE%B1+%CF%86%CF%8D%CF%83%CE%B9%CF%82+%CF%84%CE%BF%E1%BF%A6+%CE%B8%CE%B5%CE%BF%E1%BF%A6+%CE%BB%C3%B3%CE%B3%CE%BF%CF%85+%CF%83%CE%B5%CF%83%CE%B1%CF%81%CF%87%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%B7&source=bl&ots=LWE_rsvZhk&sig=AfdUrw0JW-TxPsPmDSwq3gEr3BQ&hl=en&ei=td7eS7y3HYPSNaLlscwK&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

the second in St. Maximos:
http://books.google.com/books?id=0PIUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1192&lpg=PA1192&dq=%CE%BC%CE%AF%CE%B1+%CF%86%CF%8D%CF%83%CE%B9%CF%82+%CF%84%CE%BF%E1%BF%A6+%CE%B8%CE%B5%CE%BF%E1%BF%A6+%CE%BB%C3%B3%CE%B3%CE%BF%CF%85+%CF%83%CE%B5%CF%83%CE%B1%CF%81%CF%87%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%B7&source=bl&ots=LWE_rsv-lo&sig=zNZct3ukCAwo57RYDYRqfQi-5eQ&hl=en&ei=qd_eS4SSGIHaNZGKoTg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Looking this up, I came across Migne online at google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Q4sZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1791&lpg=PA1791&dq=%CE%BC%CE%AF%CE%B1+%CF%86%CF%8D%CF%83%CE%B9%CF%82+%CF%84%CE%BF%E1%BF%A6+%CE%B8%CE%B5%CE%BF%E1%BF%A6+%CE%BB%C3%B3%CE%B3%CE%BF%CF%85+%CF%83%CE%B5%CF%83%CE%B1%CF%81%CF%87%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%B7&source=bl&ots=oAXCILBqTt&sig=D3-gV-V4MZ1YnyuekRi4rkMqn_U&hl=en&ei=qd_eS4SSGIHaNZGKoTg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBA#

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

Howdy -

Hi!  Christ is Risen!

In writing a short paper for seminary, I'm a bit stuck on how to write a certain Greek phrase--the key "one incarnate nature of God the Word"--is the phrase spelled, "μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λóγου σεσαρκωμένη," or μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λóγου σεσαρχωμένη"

I'm a stickler for language, so any help you'd be able to give would be appreciate.

Well, the Fathers were sticklers for language, so you're in good company.  It is σεσαρκωμένη, from σάρξ, σαρκός - flesh (used here for incarnate).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:46:08 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »

Interesting how the first is found in St. John of Damascus

It's hard to see, but if you zoom in on Google's scan, you'll see the search engine just misidentifies the κ as a χ. It's a pretty low quality scan. Anyway, that Migne edition of St. John says σεσαρκωμένη, as it should.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags: St. Cyril 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: