OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lectio Divina  (Read 1538 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: May 01, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »

What do you think of the concept (an Orthodox version)? Anyone practice this at their Church in some form? I was at one tonight for the first time, after Vespers, and it was pretty interesting. The priest read some Psalms, a chapter from the Gospels, and some stuff by St. Ephraim the Syrian; then we prayed the Jesus prayer for 10 minutes in silence, the priest prayed the Jesus prayer aloud for a while, we prayed 10 more minutes in silence, and the priest finished off with a modified form of the Jesus prayer.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »

It sounds like is something made up recently.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »

It sounds like is something made up recently.

If by recently you mean 1,500 years ago, then yes, it was made up recently Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »

I should add that, of course, the specifics change over time, just like with any prayers. I mean, it's not like the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was set in stone 1,600 years ago. The idea was there, and then it was modified over time. Same thing with the Lectio Divina--the idea has been there for a long time, but it's been modified.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »

I had never thought of lectio divina as something done in congregation. My understanding, according to what I know of the Rule of St. Benedict and its application, is that it is something done by the monk in his cell, apart from his private prayers and prayers in church. What you described, though, very much resembles traditional Western Rite and Benedictine Matins, which is composed mostly of Psalm readings, Scripture readings, hymns, a Gospel reading, and sections of a Patristic sermon and/or life of a saint. But, to me, actual lectio divina, would be private study and reading, in principal. I could be wrong, though.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »

I had never thought of lectio divina as something done in congregation. My understanding, according to what I know of the Rule of St. Benedict and its application, is that it is something done by the monk in his cell, apart from his private prayers and prayers in church. What you described, though, very much resembles traditional Western Rite and Benedictine Matins, which is composed mostly of Psalm readings, Scripture readings, hymns, a Gospel reading, and sections of a Patristic sermon and/or life of a saint. But, to me, actual lectio divina, would be private study and reading, in principal. I could be wrong, though.

No, you may very well be correct on that point. Perhaps the priest just wanted a name for it other than "meditation" or something, or perhaps he got the idea from someone else who was also using that terminology to describe this type of thing.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »

I've been interested in this ever since I heard about it. Never tried though. I wonder how the concept has evolved since the days of St. Benedict. I recall reading that one Finnish parish practised some kind of Lectio Divina but it sounded like completely different than what I've read from modern Catholic sources. I figured out that their Lectio Divina must be just a cool-sounding name for a Bible study.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:26:58 PM by Alpo » Logged
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »

What do you think of the concept (an Orthodox version)? Anyone practice this at their Church in some form? I was at one tonight for the first time, after Vespers, and it was pretty interesting. The priest read some Psalms, a chapter from the Gospels, and some stuff by St. Ephraim the Syrian; then we prayed the Jesus prayer for 10 minutes in silence, the priest prayed the Jesus prayer aloud for a while, we prayed 10 more minutes in silence, and the priest finished off with a modified form of the Jesus prayer.

Was that event connected with this group?
http://www.centeringprayer.com
http://www.contemplativeoutreach.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »

Was that event connected with this group?
http://www.centeringprayer.com
http://www.contemplativeoutreach.org

Not that I know of, but then I didn't ask him where he got the idea from. I'll ask him this Saturday at Vespers, if I don't talk to him sooner.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: