OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:37:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ipods....whats the deal?  (Read 3481 times) Average Rating: 0
spiltteeth

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: May 01, 2010, 01:50:49 AM »

Ok I'm an idiot when it comes to new fangled gadgets but I have a MAC and I want to download itunes so I can listen to them.

The cheaper the better - should I get an mp3 player? Or an ipod? Or a walkman!? Which one and where can I get it on the cheap?

If you help me out the next time I see a rainbow I'll make a wish for you. Smiley

Thanks!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:13:15 AM »

Well..do you want quality or quantity.  I believe that question should be answered first.  Most people will say that any MP3 player is basically the same thing, which is true, but for me it's all about compatability and length of product.  I've had my ipod for 5 years +, and it works fantastic. 

It's all about what you're really looking for.  Well done on the MAC though...you'll hopefully never go back.   Smiley Smiley

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:23:40 AM »

Ok I'm an idiot when it comes to new fangled gadgets but I have a MAC and I want to download itunes so I can listen to them.

The cheaper the better - should I get an mp3 player? Or an ipod? Or a walkman!? Which one and where can I get it on the cheap?

If you help me out the next time I see a rainbow I'll make a wish for you. Smiley

Thanks!

I just bought a ipod touch wireless at a pawn shop for 120.dollars a 8 gig flash drive,took me awhile to get it to work, trying to load music on it ,figured it out finally..i still like my 30 gig hard drive ipod and the 4 gig one plus a two  gig one...with the hard drive ipods ,i can go to my computer and search there hidden folders and remove the music from them but can't with the 8 gig flash drive one though...
The negitive about the ipods, can't replace your own battery have to send it to them . When one goes to the hidden folder on the harddrive ones to pull music from it ,you loose the titles  of your music,so one has to rename each music file ,a bummer,but still you have your music...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:27 AM »

I very don't like the iPods. The most annoying thing is that you cannot simply paste the music and you are forced to use the iTunes. You can't also add a few new tunes, but you have to  replace all the music. Try Creative's players.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »

I bought a Philips mp3 player at Walmart for something like $50, and I've been happy with it so far. But then I've only had it for a few months, and I own a PC, and I don't have a ton of music that I needed to transfer to it.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

iPod, all the way. I have 120GB I got while i was in the service that I still use to this day. Video, photos, music and games. Even a radio!

But that's me... I'm a music junkie, I have half my iPod full with Music... (50 some GB)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 07:19:03 PM »

Bleh, Apple.  I'd go with Samsung.  I still have my first MP3 Player laying around (a Samsung), it only held 32MB but it still works.  My current one is 16GB.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »

Bleh, Apple.

Such a free spirit!
DeathToTheWorld

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »

Thanks!

I bought a $20 mp3 player with 2 GB of memory at the Dollar General. Its lasted me for almost a year.

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:50:20 PM »

iPod, all the way. I have 120GB I got while i was in the service that I still use to this day. Video, photos, music and games. Even a radio!

But that's me... I'm a music junkie, I have half my iPod full with Music... (50 some GB)

120!? Shocked I think my mp3 player has 3gb, and I can't imagine what I'd ever do with all that memory. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:50:40 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »

120!? Shocked I think my mp3 player has 3gb, and I can't imagine what I'd ever do with all that memory. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still...
Yeah, well I already used 50 of that in music, and i have another 4 devoted to movies... Movies are what really take up the most space, being 1-3 GB in size for about 2-3 hours.

Now, I just need some good Orthodox music as well, and I could probably fill up another 5 or so. Or maybe some more classical... Oh, and keep a ton of inspirational photos on there (around 250 photos, but like half a gig)
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »

Yeah, well I already used 50 of that in music, and i have another 4 devoted to movies...

So what is that, two movies? Cheesy
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »

Yeah, well I already used 50 of that in music, and i have another 4 devoted to movies...

So what is that, two movies? Cheesy
Three, actually.

Leon, Stalker (Russian), and I forget the other one... haha! I Haven't seen them in awhile. I just use it for music lately.
spiltteeth

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

Stalkers great. The directer, Tarkovsky, was Orthodox Christian.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »

Stalkers great. The directer, Tarkovsky, was Orthodox Christian.
Yes, I found the story line hard to grasp, it deserves multiple viewings. Do you have any other good movies from Russia I could download?
(Legal in USA, etc.)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »

Big thing to remember with ALL mp3 players. You can not just switch between WMA and mp3 format. I lost I dont' know how much music when I switched from a PC to a Mac, my little Rio just couldn't keep up Sad And unless the new version of Windows media is different, PC's default to WMA unless you specify otherwise. And you have to reformat WMA files one by agonizing one on a PC before you can transfer them to a Mac.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:16:42 AM by Quinault » Logged
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 07:48:30 AM »

Big thing to remember with ALL mp3 players. You can not just switch between WMA and mp3 format. I lost I dont' know how much music when I switched from a PC to a Mac, my little Rio just couldn't keep up Sad And unless the new version of Windows media is different, PC's default to WMA unless you specify otherwise. And you have to reformat WMA files one by agonizing one on a PC before you can transfer them to a Mac.
You make me want a mac now Tongue
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »

You can't also add a few new tunes, but you have to  replace all the music. Try Creative's players.

You can, you just have to make sure you haven't set your iPod to synchronise with your iTunes library. Then you can drag and drop individual songs, no problem.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

You can, you just have to make sure you haven't set your iPod to synchronise with your iTunes library. Then you can drag and drop individual songs, no problem.

Using Windows Explorer?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »

You can use an iPod with either a PC or a Mac, not both. One is is connected to a PC you can really only use it with a PC.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:24 PM »

My problem was that my brother obliterated my PC with the worst virus in the history of viruses before I could reformat my music. And then he wiped my hard drive to try and get rid of the virus. If I had lost all the baby photos of my kids, you would never would have been able to find him..... Lips Sealed Fortunately I had already transferred our photo library- so he was allowed to live police
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:13:36 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »

Mac's don't get viruses, that is enough to make me a lifetime Mac convert.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

Using Windows Explorer?

Using iTunes on any operating system.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »

Using Windows Explorer?

Using iTunes on any operating system.

It's to complicated for me to use. I've been using an iPod for more than a year and all the times I added some music was by accident. I do not know how to do it, what is in-understandably to me as I consider myself skilled with computers. I have also used a Creative's player and all I needed was to mark a music in a folder on my HD and paste it in the player. Nothing more.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
converted viking

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »

This is no longer the case the case.  Please follow this link to a New York Times article by Nicole Perlroth.  http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/widespread-computer-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-safe/

Long live the Penguin !  <Linux>

Seraphim
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:12:35 AM by converted viking » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »

This is no longer the case the case.  Please follow this link to a New York Times article by Nicole Perlroth.  http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/widespread-computer-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-safe/

Long live the Penguin !  <Linux>

Seraphim

Indeed. The only reason Macs get fewer viruses is that fewer people have them so they're a less tempting target.

In my opinion if you're interested in style above all else and don't mind the considerable downside of paying over the odds and being locked into Apple's private world, go with Apple. As a software developer myself, I wouldn't touch anything they make - not because I don't appreciate that they make stylish and well built kit, but because for me the downsides way outweigh that positive.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

I still use and like my Zune.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »

I have a Creative Zen xfi-2. The touchscreen sucks and the UI is terribly outdated but the sound is good and it wasn't that expansive. I can't afford an Ipod when I am addicted to books.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:35:48 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: