OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:53:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestants and Sacramentals  (Read 4174 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« on: January 19, 2004, 02:14:58 AM »

It's past one in the morning here, and I'm watching what looks like a "local" Pentecostal preacher/healer do his public access TV thing.  Lots of tongues, lots of healing, lots of preaching, etc., etc., etc.  But what I'm struck at is that, while in my experience many Protestants have a problem with the venerating of icons or relics, the use of prayer beads, the wearing of crosses and medals, and the use of other sacramentals, at least some of them, usually of the type I just described (at least as far as I've observed) are making them up on their own, and it's perfectly acceptable for them.  For instance, the same guy doing the tongue-speaking, healing, and preaching was also offering a "Green Prosperity Handkerchief", with a graphic on the screen complete with Biblical reference to the use of sanctified handkerchiefs by Saint Paul.  Also offered was a type of bracelet with coloured stones and a cross that looked kinda like a rosary...for a love gift of thirty-three dollars ($33).  It is not only the use of these objects in prayer among them that interests me, but the teaching this particular individual was preaching: namely (if I've understood it correctly), that sometimes people need to receive blessings from God through the use of a material object like a prayer cloth as a point of divine power, an object that mediates God's grace to the individual based on the individual's faith, and that God sometimes wills it this way.  While this TV show reminded me of my observations, this is definitely not the first time I've seen this, and it seems "prayer cloths" and other types of "sacramentals" are becoming more popular among those who would at the same time question/mock their use among Catholics (and, by extension, Orthodox).  

What's up with this trend?

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 02:47:16 AM »

Never really noticed this (especially since I can usually not stand more than a few minutes of a televangelist show), but it sounds interesting.  They sound like hypocrites to me (in the respect that they condemn icons, etc.)
jmell

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 03:47:31 AM »

All I ever see them offering is a free tape or book, with a minimum donation of course!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 06:30:10 PM »

I would submit that many of the televangelist types don't know anything about icons and that they are not so much "hypocritical" as unknowing.  I postulate that they have some ideas about the RC's and statues that, if they know about EO and icons at all, slops over east.  Not understanding the point of them, if they see someone kissing an icon, the link is "bowing to idols... bad"  However, while both statues and icons show people, the napkins, vials of water, etc do not and (remember the passage in NT about people bringing cloths to St. Paul) that it is in the Bible.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 10:34:49 AM »

I am always amused by televangelists and such that suddenly discover that there is benefit to ministers wearing distinctive dress and being able to be recognized as a minster by how you dress so they end up dressing like priests - ALMOST, but not quite . . . .Benny comes to mind with his suits . . . .

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 12:24:57 PM »

. . .Benny.

Roll Eyes
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 12:39:52 PM »

Benny Hinn amuses me.  I watch him when I can by choice, he's too funny.  Did you guys know he was originally Greek Orthodox (and an old calendarist to boot...Patriarchate of Jerusalem)?

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 12:45:54 PM »

Benny Hinn amuses me.  I watch him when I can by choice, he's too funny.  Did you guys know he was originally Greek Orthodox (and an old calendarist to boot...Patriarchate of Jerusalem)?

That's what I've heard, too.

Now he's a Lucre-an.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 12:57:19 PM »

No Way! I was not aware of that!  

Benny Hinn is great entertainment. I also love watching Paul and Jan Crouch on TBN.

It's all so scary and interesting all at the same time.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 02:00:30 PM »

AH Jan . . . that hair.  . . . How am I supposed to take the message of Christ seriously from her mouth?

I am always baffled that people who cannot be honest about who they are - and have to hide under wigs and toups - expect me to take what they are saying to be truthful.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 02:27:57 PM »

When I think of evangelical protestantism, I think of Focus on the Family, which is actually quite good. I listen to it often, even though I reject much of their beliefs. TBN, et al, are out for the money, but Focus on the Family actually provides services in gratitude for their donations.

That said, I'm stickin' with apostolic Christianity.
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 04:37:14 PM »

I realize this is dated, but she sponsored a seminar on Christian Liposuction. http://cultlink.com/ar/liposuction.htm.

I've been trying to figure out how "Christian" and "liposuction" ended up in the same sentence.

It's a wonder why secular America thinks "christian" = idiot

Again, The hair! That's why I started watching!  Grin
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 07:24:12 PM »

How about Jan's clothing--between the hair, all the makeup, and the clothing--she can make Tammy Faye look  modest!

Well, tele-evangelists can afford things that a pastor of a small local church could never have--like a home that costs millions of dollars.  Of course, some of the pastors of mega-churches might be able to afford to buy an expensive house.  So much for Christ's words to the rich young ruler to sell all that he had and then giving the money to the poor.  By the way, I was looking in the yellow pages the other day and the ad for a Foursquare Gospel church here in town announces in its ad that "Prosperity is God's will for His people!".  I was thinking to myself, "that's not what I understand from the Bible, especially the New Testament."  The ad listed about 5 things that the believe in and teach, and I couldn't agree with but one of them.  Of course, one of the things that they teach (according to the ad) is that if you have the Holy Ghost, you will speak in tongues.
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 12:37:31 AM »

Benny Hinn?  Benny Hill?  I keep getting those guys mixed up.

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 12:42:01 AM »

Benny Hinn?  Benny Hill?  I keep getting those guys mixed up.

Oh, man!

I loved Benny Hill!

Now there was a truly funny man.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 05:44:15 AM »

Nooooooooo!

There's one export we were glad to get rid of.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org
Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies
http://www.lsocs.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 12:53:34 PM »

Nooooooooo!

There's one export we were glad to get rid of.

Oh, come on!

Benny Hill was great.

My father and I spent many an evening laughing until the tears rolled down our cheeks.

May God have mercy on Benny's soul (and ours)!

I'm sure there must be an icon of him in some Anglican Church somewhere (they've got everyone else's).  Wink
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:58:31 PM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 01:30:34 PM »

I always get a kick out of feminists who attack Benny Hill as sexist.  Anyone with eyes can see that he poked fun at MEN not at women.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 03:29:39 PM »

Benny Hill was utter, utter rubbish. I think it must say something about the general level of US comedy Smiley

I'd rather watch an hour of Benny Hinn!!!!!!

Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 03:31:19 PM »

You have to remember that most of the things the British find amusing, Peter, don't translate well to American audiences.

Benny Hill, however, was outright risque slapstick.

My favorite part was when he would repeatedly slap the old bald man's head.  That cracked me up when I was 7 and still cracks me up today.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 04:21:09 PM »

The US comedy I find amusing tends to be the more gritty stuff like Malcolm in the Middle, Roseanne etc. I don't like the programmes that are all based on the 'normal' family trying to survive on a couple of million a year. That's why I like the Simpsons as well.

Don't you like Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army. They're the classics. There are some good modern ones but they are a bit too sexually explicit in language, but still with some brilliant bits in them.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2004, 04:29:19 PM »

The BlackAdder series is a favorite and all four series usually get watched at least once every other month, and the BlackAdder Christmas Carol gets viewed every holiday season.

I'm a big fan of the Young Ones, too.

However, most Americans won't get alot of the jokes, as they're very British and geared towards British cultural mores and pecularities.  Fawlty Towers generally "works" because of the slapstick nature of much of Cleese's comedy in that series.  However, things like the "TV Detector Man" from the Young Ones episode "Bomb" just don't compute to most Americans, who have never had to pay for a TV license nor have any idea what it is.  

The more silly it is, and the more visual, the better it will work in the States, as far as British comedy goes.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 04:36:24 PM »

The more silly it is, and the more visual, the better it will work in the States, as far as British comedy goes.

Interesting. That's pretty much the case with my youngest child  Wink

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 04:45:22 PM »

Just like I've been told I'm acting like an old man for watching "Last of the Summer Wine" all the time.

My two best friends and I are on a collision course for ending up like those three, with me being Foggy.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 04:47:27 PM »

Ahhhh...another good show. Part of early Sunday Evenings for most of my life, it seems.

At least you're not being set up for the part of Compo

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 04:51:28 PM »

Compo would be my best friend Taylor, who we also call "Pigpen" and who always seems to be chasing some woman around.  My friend Will is a perfect Cleggy, who gets caught in the middle of everything.

It really is uncanny how we three fit right in those roles. Smiley

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »

Man, I really detest the idea that the British are somehow superior in culture and therefore more refined in taste than Americans. And I especially detest the apparent willingness of so many Americans to acquiesce to that idea.

I have known too many Brits to buy that one.

I like what I like.

Benny Hill was downright funny.

Comedy, like so many other forms of entertainment, is a matter of taste.

I like a variety of comedic forms.

Benny Hill was not popular because the people who enjoyed him were stupid or inferior.

He was popular because he was funny.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2004, 05:00:05 PM »

Benny Hill was absolute rubbish

I find it completely appropriate that so many Americans like him.

Thank God that there are some who have real taste and appreciate the British sense of humour.

Now a really classy form of the more slapstick and old school variety comedy is Morecambe and Wise, and the Two Ronnies.

But Benny Hill.....never.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 05:04:13 PM »

Man, I really detest the idea that the British are somehow superior in culture and therefore more refined in taste than Americans. And I especially detest the apparent willingness of so many Americans to acquiesce to that idea.

I have known too many Brits to buy that one.

I like what I like.

Benny Hill was downright funny.

Comedy, like so many other forms of entertainment, is a matter of taste.

I like a variety of comedic forms.

Benny Hill was not popular because the people who enjoyed him were stupid or inferior.

He was popular because he was funny.

Linus,

Peace, brother!  I agree with you.  Benny Hill was hilarious.  But you cannot deny the fact that most British comedy, the kind that the Brits consider to be "high class" goes over the heads of most Americans.  

However, its not because its superior, but because it's very culture specific.  Very few Americans are going to understand jokes about Marmite or Guy Fawkes.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 05:07:50 PM »

Benny Hill was absolute rubbish

I find it completely appropriate that so many Americans like him.

Thank God that there are some who have real taste and appreciate the British sense of humour.

Now a really classy form of the more slapstick and old school variety comedy is Morecambe and Wise, and the Two Ronnies.

But Benny Hill.....never.

Your opinion, one not shared by millions of your own countrymen, as well as countless others.

peterfarrington: I find it completely appropriate that so many Americans like him.

I think you should keep such disparaging remarks about Americans to yourself.

I am generally very pro-UK, but you are doing your level best to change that.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2004, 05:10:31 PM »

Chill out for goodness sake. It was you who said

I think you need to learn to take a bit more ribbing.

[humour]
That's another thing us Europeans don't like about many Americans.
[/humour]

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »

Chill out for goodness sake. It was you who saidI think you need to learn to take a bit more ribbing.

[humour]
That's another thing us Europeans don't like about many Americans.
[/humour]

I said I don't like the idea that the British are superior to Americans. I did not then turn around and assert that Americans are superior to the British.

If what you wrote was ribbing, I guess I missed it.

Chalk it up to my lowly American sense of humor.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:14:38 PM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 05:28:45 PM »

I said I don't like the idea that the British are superior to Americans. I did not then turn around and assert that Americans are superior to the British.

If what you wrote was ribbing, I guess I missed it.

Chalk it up to my lowly American sense of humor.

Chill out.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2004, 07:56:26 PM »

The US comedy I find amusing tends to be the more gritty stuff like Malcolm in the Middle, Roseanne etc. I don't like the programmes that are all based on the 'normal' family trying to survive on a couple of million a year. That's why I like the Simpsons as well.

Don't you like Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army. They're the classics. There are some good modern ones but they are a bit too sexually explicit in language, but still with some brilliant bits in them.

Malcom RULES!!  I loved the first episonde - from the moment I saw it, I knew I could relate.  It was my family they were portaying . . . .  ALSO very good - Futurama, The Nanny, and Reno 911.

The best "britcoms" are: Are you being served, You rang m'Lord, black adder, Monty Python, 'Ello 'Ello ( a perfect portrayal of the french), Keeping up Appearances, Only fools and horses . . . .

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2004, 08:01:57 PM »

OH and YES PRIME MINISTER!!  TOO FUNNY that one.  A perfect indictment of the British parliamentary system.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2004, 09:28:37 PM »

Chill out.

Whatever.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2004, 10:44:37 PM »

I get BBC America, and I love that channel (I get digital cable so that I can get it).  Br. Max, I love "Keeping Up Appearances", "Allo, Allo", "Are You Being Served?", "One Foot in the Grave", and "Mr. Bean".    There's another one that I really liked that I can't remember the title of.  It took place in a retirement community and the main characters were named Diana and Tom, and they were next door neighbors.  They were very independent and always causing trouble for the administrator of the community.  Do any of you remember that series and what the title of it was?

I also have to admit that I love "Ground Force" (Tuesday nights I'm parked right in front of the TV to watch that),  "Changing Rooms", and "Cash in the Attic".  I wish that BBC American would start showing the old "Antiques Roadshow" programs again.  I like the American version of the show, but I prefer the British version.  They get much older items on the show.   I also wish they would start showing the program "Casualty" again because I enjoyed that show also.

katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2004, 11:08:53 PM »

Thank you, Vicki.  The way my memory is these days, maybe I need to be in that retirement community!
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 12:03:11 AM »

THE BEST program on BBC is of course - EAST ENDERS.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: