OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite beer?  (Read 10808 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:10:13 AM »

What is your favorite beer?

Sorry we don't have enough spaces for all.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 12:16:21 AM »

Yuengling

(now you've made me thirsty...)

http://www.yuengling.com

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 12:17:23 AM »

of those listed - Killians

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
jmell

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 12:39:31 AM »

Bier!

Spaten
http://www.spatenusa.com

Franzikaner Hefe Weizen

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 01:18:56 AM »

Mackeson XXX Triple Stout

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »

Augustijn Ale

-Yazid Ibrahim
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 02:02:54 AM »

Bier!

Spaten
http://www.spatenusa.com

Franzikaner Hefe Weizen

Yum...but I said Guiness to make the poll simple.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 02:30:28 AM »

It's a cliche, but Amstel Light.
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 04:40:06 AM »

Sorry but most of the above are not beers.

Where is Old Thumper, Old Peculiar, Speckled Hen, Directors etc etc

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 04:49:43 AM »

Oh - Sub-Deacon Peter we will have to produce some educational material here Grin

I'll start with

http://www.beers-scotland.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=72&strPageHistory=cat

Bitter and Twisted - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - now that is beer Grin

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 05:21:19 AM »

Ask Michael Jackson Grin

John
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 07:58:33 AM »

Heineken, Elephant Lager.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 08:52:32 AM »

This is one I've wanted to try sometime...

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 11:07:41 AM »

My own homebrewed Weissbier or any of my own homebrews. They're all much fresher and tastier than any store-bought beer.

When I don't have any in the fridge, I'll take any good German weissbier.

I also like Double Bocks like Celebrator (but I forget who brews it), Spaten's Optimator, and Paulaner Salvator.

I like pretty much any good quality German beer.

The Czech beer Pilsner Urquell is also one of my favorites.

Guinness Stout is very good. I enjoy it.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 11:16:42 AM »

Anything red or darker. Can't stand most yellow beers.

Newcastle Brown, Honey Brown, Saranac (NY), Yuengling Black & Tan and Yuengling Porter (PA). I remember Samuel Smith and 6X being OK too.

LOL, I've had a bottle of Old Rasputin - it was pretty good. Still have the bottle with its label - it's on this very desk!

SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 11:36:11 AM »

The dark beers, Guinness and kin, are to my liking.  In the domain of light beers, a Becks is up my alley.

DON'T try Tuborg!....at least not in Turkey where they have licence to brew it.  It is much too sweet and will have you swear off beer.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:37:58 AM by SamB » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 11:58:36 AM »

Anything red or darker. Can't stand most yellow beers.

Newcastle Brown, Honey Brown, Saranac (NY), Yuengling Black & Tan and Yuengling Porter (PA). I remember Samuel Smith and 6X being OK too.

Amazing! Serge and I agree, especially on the Yuenglings. The only "domestic" yellow I favored at all was Henry Wienhart's Private Reserve, but it's hard to find fresh.

To our "across the pond" friends, most of your excellent beers and ales are not fully enjoyed here because in my experience they go stale before they are distributed and consumed here.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 12:16:13 PM »

I am a fan of a good German Hefe Wiesien.

Joseph
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2004, 12:48:02 PM »

Any beer that contains alcohol and is cold suits me.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2004, 01:40:53 PM »

It's a cliche, but Amstel Light.  

I like Amstel as well.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 01:52:34 PM »

I like anything microbrew, especially on tap. There is a local Texas beer called Shiner Bock, that is delicious on tap.

I have been once to a German bar and the beer was wonderful. The only name I remember was "Paulaner Weisse." It was a yeast beer, and it was delicious.

As far as mexican beers goes, I run the gamut. Lately I have been drinking Dos Equis for mexican beer (BTW all mexican beer is horrible, but I drink it anyway), and Michelob for domestic.

That dang microbrew is just too expensive.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 02:28:56 PM »

You can find Shiner Bock in most places now, but I haven't seen any of the other Shiner beers that I had while in Dallas a few years ago.  

Here's two more favorites from the Unibroue brewery in Quebec:

and

-Yazid Ibrahim
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2004, 02:35:29 PM »

I guess if you drink enough of THAT stuff you will see canoes & satan in the sky.

Si, Pacifico

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 09:47:53 AM »

Newcastle, Amstel, Guiness, Dragon Stout, Pete's Wicked Ale. PBR in a bottle if I'm feeling tacky.

In that order.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 10:12:17 AM »

I don’t know . . . this thread is becoming very divisive. . . . .

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 01:30:18 PM »

Bass in the winter and Corona in the summer.
Baltika if I want to get a little rowdy.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

Beer Facts

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the "honeymoon".  
 Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb or finger into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold, and the yeast wouldn't grow. Too hot, and the yeast would die. This thumb in the beer is where we get the phrase "rule of thumb".  
 In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts so in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's".  
 Beer was the reason the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. It's clear from the Mayflower's log that the crew didn't want to waste beer looking for a better site. The log goes on to state that the passengers "were hassled ashore and made to drink water that the seamen might have the more beer".  
 After consuming a bucket or two of vibrant brew they called aul, or ale, the Vikings would head fearlessly into battle often without armor or even shirts. In fact, the term "berserk" means "bare shirt" in Norse, and eventually took on the meaning of their wild battles.  
 In 1740, Admiral Vernon of the British fleet decided to water down the navy's rum. Needless to say, the sailors weren't too pleased and called Admiral Vernon, Old Grog, after the stiff wool grogram coats he wore. The term "grog" soon began to mean the watered down drink itself. When you were drunk on this grog, you were "groggy", a word still in use today.  
 In the middle ages, "nunchion" was the word for liquid lunches. It was a combination of the words "noon scheken", or noon drinking. In those days, a large chunk of bread was called lunch. So if you ate bread with your nunchion, you had what we still today call a luncheon.  
 Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle", is the phrase inspired by this practice.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 08:11:12 PM »

Beer Facts

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the "honeymoon".  
 Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb or finger into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold, and the yeast wouldn't grow. Too hot, and the yeast would die. This thumb in the beer is where we get the phrase "rule of thumb".  
 In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts so in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's".  
 Beer was the reason the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. It's clear from the Mayflower's log that the crew didn't want to waste beer looking for a better site. The log goes on to state that the passengers "were hassled ashore and made to drink water that the seamen might have the more beer".  
 After consuming a bucket or two of vibrant brew they called aul, or ale, the Vikings would head fearlessly into battle often without armor or even shirts. In fact, the term "berserk" means "bare shirt" in Norse, and eventually took on the meaning of their wild battles.  
 In 1740, Admiral Vernon of the British fleet decided to water down the navy's rum. Needless to say, the sailors weren't too pleased and called Admiral Vernon, Old Grog, after the stiff wool grogram coats he wore. The term "grog" soon began to mean the watered down drink itself. When you were drunk on this grog, you were "groggy", a word still in use today.  
 In the middle ages, "nunchion" was the word for liquid lunches. It was a combination of the words "noon scheken", or noon drinking. In those days, a large chunk of bread was called lunch. So if you ate bread with your nunchion, you had what we still today call a luncheon.  
 Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle", is the phrase inspired by this practice.

Bro Max,

Ya sure?  I heard that the rule of thumb was the thickness of the rod that you were allowed to beat your wife with (i.e. no thicker).
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 08:27:40 PM »

elisha: Hey I didn't write it, I just cut and pasted it Smiley

Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 08:48:08 PM »

Fort Garry Dark!!!!!

http://www.fortgarry.com/products/index.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 08:52:50 PM by Karamazov » Logged
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2004, 09:14:45 PM »

Another favourite:

http://www.artukraine.com/commercial/slavutych1.htm
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2004, 09:41:53 PM »

My favorite beer is McEwans scotish ale. It will definently lift your kilt!

On the lighter side, I like MacTarnahan's "scottish"style ale. (it's always the unofficial beer of the woodland CA highland games). It is actually made in Portland OR (but it's heart is scottish).

This all reminds me of a joke.

There were several businessmen from all over the world that were meeting at an international business conference in Los Angelas.  Towards the end of the first day, all of the gentlemen met in the hotel bar for some drinks and food.

The American and canadian businessman both ordered a budwieser and sat down. The Englishman and Russian both ordered a coors lite. The Romanian and Hungarian both ordered Miller Genuine draft.

When the Irishman showed up, he glanced at his collegues and ordered an Ice tea.

Puzzled as to why the Irishman ordered an Ice tea, the genlemen said "why did you order an Ice tea?"

The Irishman replied, "If no one else is drinking beer, than neither am I"

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 09:42:17 PM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2004, 12:08:02 AM »

Bass in the winter and Corona in the summer.
Baltika if I want to get a little rowdy.

Baltika is very good.

I started drinking it on the long train ride between Moscow and Volgograd. It made the trip more pleasant, although I had to pee more often, and the Russians shut down the toilets whenever the train nears a town (Why? Because the waste products just drop on the tracks beneath moving Russian trains, and in cities that ain't nice.).

Anyway, Baltika became a habit after that.

I like Ochakovo, too, and Tolstyak.

My wife and I attended the Moscow Beer Festival in the summer of 2001. That was a lot of fun. There were a lot of good bands there.

The Russians brew some very fine beers.

My favorite drink in Russia, though (besides Pertsovka), was Otvortka, the very large, pre-mixed Russian Screwdriver in a can.

Yum!

I used to drink one of those almost every night in the summer while strolling through Red Square with my wife.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 12:10:57 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2004, 12:34:56 AM »

Interesting, I'll have to try an Otvortka if I ever get a chance.

We just bottled a batch of homebrew today, trappist ale.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 12:52:38 AM »

Interesting, I'll have to try an Otvortka if I ever get a chance.

We just bottled a batch of homebrew today, trappist ale.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Otvortka is super (IMHO).

Wish I could try your Trappist Ale.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 01:16:24 AM »

Well, you may not wish to try it depending on how it turns out.  We let it stay in the secondary fermenter far too long, it may be undrinkable.  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 01:19:40 AM »

Well, you may not wish to try it depending on how it turns out.  We let it stay in the secondary fermenter far too long, it may be undrinkable.  Smiley

Oh, well, if it has become vinegar you can sprinkle it on your fish!  Grin

It's probably still good, this being winter and all.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2004, 12:47:48 AM »

Anyone here besides me ever try EKU 28 or Samichlaus?

They'll put hair on your chest!

How about Rauchbier?

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 02:26:32 AM »

Never even heard of EKU 28 or Rauchbier.

Samichlaus I'm aware of by reputation.  Being that SC, NC, and GA all obey the 6% law I can't have many good beers down here, but that one is on my list for my next excursion northward.

Ever had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot or Victory Hopdevil?  Those will sit you down as well, but not as much as Arrogant Bastard ale, from what I hear.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2004, 12:33:47 PM »

Looks like it would taste like the Neva...... Huh

Oh, man! Don't drink anything that came out of the Neva!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2004, 12:40:04 PM »

Never even heard of EKU 28 or Rauchbier.

Samichlaus I'm aware of by reputation.  Being that SC, NC, and GA all obey the 6% law I can't have many good beers down here, but that one is on my list for my next excursion northward.

Ever had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot or Victory Hopdevil?  Those will sit you down as well, but not as much as Arrogant Bastard ale, from what I hear.

EKU 28 is a blond Bock with a fiery level of alcohol (the "28" is the original specific gravity in degrees Plato), although I can't remember the exact percentage. I think it is up there at or near the level of wine. It's great stuff, with a good flavor, as well as a tremendous warming effect.

Rauchbier is German beer brewed by placing hot stones in the wort. Rauch means smoke, and Rauchbier has a smokey flavor.

Actually, I don't really like it that much. It kind of reminded me of Campbell's Bean and Bacon soup - good as a soup, bad as beer.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2004, 01:09:14 PM »

I'll have to keep an eye out for EK 28 it sounds interesting.  The highest alcohol percentage I've had in beer is 17.5% with Samuel Adams Triple Bock.  

I've had a smoke beer before(don't remember which, I have the bottle at home though) and I agree with your assessment.

-Yazid Ibrahim
DrJohn

OC.net

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2004, 02:04:02 AM »

This from the Domostroi, a 16th century book concerning life and household management in (Orthodox) Russia:

You should always visit God's churches faithfully, bringing an offering, a candle, communion bread, incense and frankincense, commemorative beer, frumenty, and alms. ... When a person is sick in the house, let the homeowner invite seven or more priests and as many deacons as he can find.  They will pray over commemorative beer for health and over frumenty to bring peace.  (pp. 74f)
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2004, 11:36:57 AM »

What is frumenty, I'm not familiar with that term.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2004, 11:53:03 AM »

Hey Slave,

Just had a good root around Sainsbury's and brought home some Bitter and Twisted, Adnam's Broadside and Fuller's 1845.

There was lots of Badger Ale's as well. When I was at bible college in the New Forest we used to hang out in a real ale pub just a walk away that served Badger's.

I even noticed an export US lager beer called Samuel Adam's Boston Ale, but I didn't buy any this time.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: Drunk Orthodox beer fasting 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: