OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:10:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it permissible to cover satanic tattoos with christian symbol tattoos?
yes - 20 (80%)
no - 2 (8%)
not sure - 3 (12%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: covering bad tattoos with "better" tattoos  (Read 4657 times) Average Rating: 0
shadowofchrist

« on: April 29, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »

I intend to convert to the Orthodox Christian faith. Though, I have a past involvement in satanism. During that time, I got a number of satanic themed tattoos. It emotionally pains me to have to see these on my body. so I need to know if it is alright to cover these stains with Christian symbols?
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:20 AM »

I intend to convert to the Orthodox Christian faith. Though, I have a past involvement in satanism. During that time, I got a number of satanic themed tattoos. It emotionally pains me to have to see these on my body. so I need to know if it is alright to cover these stains with Christian symbols?
Yes, absolutely. Or get them painfully removed.

By Satanism, I assume you mean the watered down LaVeyan bull, or the actual Theistic Satanism(Non-JOS)?

In any case, welcome back, I've been there as well.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:37:41 AM »

You may want to consult your Priest or Spiritual Father. But I certainly find no reason why God would not honor your decision to cover up satanic tattoos with Christian themed ink. It's kind of analogous to transforming a pagan temple into an Orthodox Church. Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »

You could wear long sleeves, and keep them as a way to remind you what you once were, in order to humiliate you (i.e. make you humble). Also, that way you would never forget.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »

You could wear long sleeves, and keep them as a way to remind you what you once were, in order to humiliate you (i.e. make you humble). Also, that way you would never forget.

But the OP never said where the tattoos were.  Looking at me even in short sleeves, one would be hard pressed to know I have five tattoos.

As for the OP, I echo the advice of speaking with your priest. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »

...Or get them painfully removed.

...keep them...in order to humiliate you

Shocked  Wow.  Just, wow.

Seek guidance from your priest, not from the internet.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »

I was saying "painfully" in order to suggest that was the wrong way to do it - that covering up is my preferred option Tongue

However, I imagine Alveus and I would be good friends Tongue
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »

Christ is risen!

First, I want to congratulate you on making the journey.  It is a difficult one, and there will be aspects that will come back from time to time to test you.  Do not be afraid, just keep struggling.

I, for one, would suggest you explore laser therapy to have the tattoos utterly removed.  There are reasons for this, but I cannot comment fully because I'm not sure what you have and it really isn't my business anyway.

If this is simply not an option (even with financing, just like the trouble you go to to buy a car), then the next step would be to find an artist who can cover them up.  My personal recommendation is that you would do well not to let them remain for a variety of reasons.  Most importantly, I think getting rid of them will help you feel a bit more free from that humiliation and temptation.

God bless you!

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley I don't see any issues with a cover up, though you should know that some Orthodox seem to be apprehensive about any tattoos, (fwiw, we had a recent thread on the subject).  I myself don't have any satanic tattoos, but I do have a Corrosion of Conformity skull on my upper right arm. Sort of along the lines of what Alveus said, I will keep it as a reminder of who I was at a certain period in my life. But then, a satanic symbol or tattoo might be more likely to offend or give people the wrong idea about you, so that would also have to factor in. Fwiw, on my left arm I have a small three-bar cross (maybe 3 1/2 inches tall), and don't regret getting it.

For those who aren't familiar, this is a COC skull...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:40:30 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley I don't see any issues with a cover up, though you should know that some Orthodox seem to be apprehensive about any tattoos, (fwiw, we had a recent thread on the subject).  I myself don't have any satanic tattoos, but I do have a Corrosion of Conformity skull on my upper right arm. Sort of along the lines of what Alveus said, I will keep it as a reminder of who I was at a certain period in my life. But then, a satanic symbol or tattoo might be more likely to offend or give people the wrong idea about you, so that would also have to factor in. Fwiw, on my left arm I have a small three-bar cross (maybe 3 1/2 inches tall), and don't regret getting it.

For those who aren't familiar, this is a COC skull...

Wow, I'm sure nothing else would quite say, "Hey, ladies, I have emotional baggage, too!" like that one!   Cheesy

</humor>

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »

Wow, I'm sure nothing else would quite say, "Hey, ladies, I have emotional baggage, too!" like that one!   Cheesy

</humor>

Tongue Well it's true, lol.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
shadowofchrist

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »

I would like to thank everyone very much.  Smiley

and in response to a question asked about my previous affiliation, it was theistic. I thank God He is delivering me from all that.

Truly He is risen!
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »

I would like to thank everyone very much.  Smiley

and in response to a question asked about my previous affiliation, it was theistic. I thank God He is delivering me from all that.

Truly He is risen!
You & me both, buddy. haha. Smiley
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »

I think what Alveus meant was that keeping them as a reminder of past faults can teach a person humility. If we can be conscious of our faults then we can better correct ourselves.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »

I was saying "painfully" in order to suggest that was the wrong way to do it - that covering up is my preferred option Tongue

However, I imagine Alveus and I would be good friends Tongue

I think what Alveus meant was that keeping them as a reminder of past faults can teach a person humility. If we can be conscious of our faults then we can better correct ourselves.

Then, in the context of advice for a new member and a soon-to-be convert, those were poorly chosen words.  Had the same things been said in-person, with all the non-verbal and vocal cues, the intent might have become apparent.  Hence, my suggestion that the OP seek guidance from his priest.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 03:32:49 AM »

A cover-up may not be possible without first having the tattoos removed at least partially. I would speak to a tattoo artist about your options (A very experienced one that knows a lot about cover-up tats) and then speak to your spiritual father.

I voted maybe only because it depends upon how possible it is to cover it up. I am of the opinion that one should cover up those types of tattoos if it is possible, even if it is just with a large solid black bar/circle or shape. A pentagram can easily be turned into a solid black circle. You will always remember what is/was there. There is no need to humiliate yourself. God desires to save us more than we desire to be saved. Humiliation isn't bad, but forced humiliation isn't always good. I suppose to my mind that you should have a minimal cover-up, like the black I mentioned above. That part of your life was a black stain on your soul. You will be forgiven of it, but the mark will remain. I don't think that keeping the tats as they are would serve to help any more than a large black mark would.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:50:30 AM by Quinault » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »

Why throw good money after bad? That time, energy, and money could go elsewhere to do some good.

I have a lot of tattoos. The only people who notice are others, especially those who just get to know me from certain socio-economic classes. And I have some tattoos that would make many a Christian wince.

They are pretty much invisible to me.

IMHO, concerning one's self over such things is mere vanity.

Tattoos are just a form of vanity that is worn on your shirt sleeve. If folks only knew what goes on inside me . . . they would be more appalled.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »

I know someone who had a cross tattooed upside down. He later on extended the short end of the cross to flip it back over the right way.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »

I know someone who had a cross tattooed upside down. He later on extended the short end of the cross to flip it back over the right way.

He could have just said it was the cross of St. Peter.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »

He doesn't know enough about church history to associate it with that and also wanted to show a change from the original intent when he first got it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

Hmmm... Use a wire brush, perhaps..?  Grin
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »

He doesn't know enough about church history to associate it with that and also wanted to show a change from the original intent when he first got it.

My post was in jest.

Tags: tattoos Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: