OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:15:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Orthodox Turks  (Read 2823 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: April 29, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »

Today's Orthodox Turks

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/cgi-bin/sykon/client/display.pl?sid=208&did=2338

In Turkey, on the canonical territory of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, there are very few Greek parishioners.

The Orthodox community has partly been replenished by Russians who moved to that country for permanent residence.

But the Patriarchate's flock also has Turks who converted  to Orthodoxy. Recently, their numbers have been growing. Orthodox literature is published for them  in Turkish and also publish materials on the new converts.

Ahmed and Nedzhla  are two of the thousands of Turks, who in recent years changed their faith, and they, unlike others, do not hide this. They told the Bulgarian site "Doors to Orthodoxy" about their spiritual quest that led them to Orthodoxy, and about what it means - to be a Christian in Turkey.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:18:15 AM »

And two of them are members of OCnet!

We get lots of hits from Turkey, btw.  A lot of people from all over Turkey log in to our site, even the most rural areas. I am sure there are a lot of anti-Orthodox people who are logging in, and that makes up some of the hits, but I have hopes that the majority of those browsing are considering our faith Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »

Good to know that for once the evangelicals do not factor into some of these cases.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »

And two of them are members of OCnet!

We get lots of hits from Turkey, btw.  A lot of people from all over Turkey log in to our site, even the most rural areas. I am sure there are a lot of anti-Orthodox people who are logging in, and that makes up some of the hits, but I have hopes that the majority of those browsing are considering our faith Smiley

That's OK.  There's a Road to Damascus from Turkey too.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »

Good to know that for once the evangelicals do not factor into some of these cases.
Actually, Antioch factors in many: one of our Turkish Orthodox here posted some Orthodox links in Turkish, and they were conected with Antiochians (althought the administration of the Patriarchate has been translated to Damascus, Antioch is at present occupied by the Turkish Republic.  Although all Arabic speaking, the inhabitants are forced to write only Turkish).  I was not aware of the Bulgarians on the other end of the Republic. Could explain the rift with the EP with the Bulgarians, although the exarch is long gone to Sofia.

Btw, as the article says, there are hundreds of thousands of Turkic Orthodox.  The Gagauz in Moldavia are among the highest percentage of Orthodox for a nationality, and their language is basically the same as Turkish.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:08:42 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »

My hat is off to the Turkish Orthodox!  God bless and prosper them all!

I hope we see lots more.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »

My hat is off to the Turkish Orthodox!  God bless and prosper them all!

I hope we see lots more.

Amen!

Christ is risen!

Father, is that a change I see in your avatar?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:49:45 AM by ialmisry » Logged

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »

I hope we see lots more.

Amen!

Christ is risen!

Well, what do you mean by that?   Wink

Are you a Domo fan?

Perhaps I should change my avatar to this....

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »

Quote from: pravoslavie.ru
They told the Bulgarian site "Doors to Orthodoxy" (dveri.bg)

Actually it is not an interview for Dveri.bg, it is just a Bulgarian translation of an interview for a Greek newspaper.

http://www.dveri.bg/content/view/5545/312/
How a Turkish family discovered Orthodoxy
9th December 2007

Ahmed and Nedzhla are two of the thousands of Turks, who changed their faith in recent years, and they, unlike others, do not hide this. They tell about their spiritual quest that led them to Orthodoxy, and about what it means - to be a Christian in Turkey.

- The Turkish press explains the recent mass baptisms in the country as “a back to the roots” of Turkish citizens with Greek and Armenian origin. Did the national origin play crucial role for becoming Christians in your case?

Ahmed: Origin plays role in some cases, but it is not our case. I was born in Capadocia, I have ancestors, who have come from Caucasus. As far as I know, there have never been Christians in my family. Entering into Orthodoxy is my personal choice.
Nedzhla: My mother is from Kavala, my father is Pontian. Some members of my family speak Romaic language (a local Greek dialect of the Islamized population). But leaving Islam for Orthodoxy was my personal choice, which has nothing to do with the origin.

"The Romaic ethnos"

- Historically Turkish identity is connected with Islam so close, that many Turks can not accept the idea that someone may be Turk and non-Muslim. What about you?

N.: It is true, that many people don’t consider you Turk if you confess other religion, especially if you are a Christian or a Jew. They think you belong not just to different faith, but to a different ethnos.
A.: This is due to historical reasons. Ottoman tradition has separated the population into ethnic groups – millets based on religion. For example, all Orthodox formed the “orthodox millet” and the administration paid no attention of their national origin, whether they are Bulgarians, Serbs or Greeks. In Capadocia, where I come from, people speaked Turkish as a mother tongue and even served liturgy in Turkish. What was making them part of the “Romaic ethnos” was their adherence to the Orthodox Church.

Turkish history contains and other different examples. In the past Turkic tribes have accepted Christianity everywhere in the Turkish diaspora. There are Turkic Christians in Central Asia, the Orthodox Gagauz in Romania, but also thousands of Turks in Turkey itself, who have accepted Christianity. They are Christians, but it doesn’t mean they are not Turks. Now I am Christian, but also 100% Turk, and my mother tongue is Turkish. Besides, separation of the population, based on religion is anachronism. People still daunt when they hear that a Turk is a Christian, but things are slowly changing.

- What do you do?

N.: I have studied dietology and I am dealing with voluntary activities.
A.: I have been manager of several large state monopoly companies and I have lived some time in the USA. After that I had my own business in Belgium.

The way to Orthodoxy

- Ahmed bey, is your decision to accept Christianity influenced by the time, when you were living in Christian countries, because of your job?

A.: No, the soil was prepared much earlier. Unfortunately, in Turkey Christianity is represented as something coming from abroad. It is a mistake, because Orthodoxy is part of the history of these lands. It can be seen in the privileges which Mehmet the Conqueror gave to the Patriarchate.

Since children, we have an idea for the Christianity through the prism of Islam. Many Muslims have great respect toward Christians, respect which is required by the Koran, because it accepts Jesus as a prophet. As a whole Muslims respect Holy Theotokos, too. I think you have seen how crowds of religious Muslims gather in the Romaic churches in the City (Istanbul), to honour the saints and look for intercession. We are ready to accept the messages of Christianity in Turkey.

If there are problems, they are connected with education, which both sides get, and the lack of knowledge. For example, many Muslims don’t understand the meaning of the Holy Trinity and think that we worship three gods, that Christianity is a polytheistic religion. I don’t say this with critics, I just notify the fact as an example of disinformation. I don’t think I have the right to criticize Islam, a religion which I left.

- What about your search, Nedzhla hanim, did it start in Turkey, too?

N.: Yes, it started when I was in the university. As a whole my family was religious, although not following all requirements of Islam. They identified as Muslim, just like me, until my studying in Ankara when I started to distance from Islam. My parents had given us some freedom, regarding religion. Leaving Islam I felt an emptiness, which had to be filled. I read, I was searching for, alone. I took a way which led me to Orthodoxy.

- Therefore, your way to Orthodoxy is a result of “local” experience, without influence from abroad…

A.: Any influence from the Christianity in America or Europe can only be negative. I didn’t feel well with local Christians there. They pushed me back from Christianity, because they have turned it into psychotherapy. They go to church on Sunday to unload themselves. But religion aims to fill a different kind of emptiness. Christianity in Europe has turned into a fair, without connection with the faith. For example the Nativity of Christ, so many people say “Happy holidays” instead of “Happy Nativity”. In Europe, people have very superficial relation with Christianity. They don’t have knowledge about the message of its spirituality.  

- How local Christians differ from European ones?

N.: We are much more close to the essence and tradition of Christianity.
A.: And more devoted.
N.: At least the two of us fulfill the requirements of our faith. We go to church every Sunday, we read the Sacred Scripture every evening together, we pray together.

- Do you maintain relations with the local Romaic community?

A.: We maintain very close relations, as we meet every Sunday in the church. There are very kind people in the Romaic community and we found friends there. Everyone can give us something. Liturgies are held in different churches. We go to the churches in Nichori often. Lakis Vingas, the chairman of the community allows Nedzhla to read “Our Father” in Turkish.
N.: Yes, I read the prayer for the Turkish speaking faithful (laughing).

- It might be difficult for you to follow the whole service in Greek?

A.: We prepare at home for every service in advance, so that we can participate. We have bilingual edition of the New Testament, so we can follow the Turkish text. The important thing is to understand, to participate…

- The tragic fact of the schism of Papa Eftim from the Patriarchate in 20’s and the establishment of the “Turkish Orthodox Church” makes the introduction of Turkish in the Greek parishes in the City more difficult, something which the other Christian confessions have done already…

A.: Yes, definitely. I hope with time there will be liturgy in Turkish in the Orthodox Church. Today only the Creed is in Turkish. The problem with Papa Eftim should be solved, there shouldn’t be hostility between churches… All Orthodox must obey to the Ecumenical Patriarchate...

They respected our decision

- Did you meet negative reactions in society, after changing your religion? Do you worry?

A.: I didn’t meet any negativism and I can’t say I’m worried.
N.: I didn’t get negative reactions. My family was surprised, but respected my choice.

- Do you think there are other people in Turkey who will follow your example and convert to Christianity?

A. and N.: Yes, they are many.

- But till now, few are baptized...

N.: It is fact that those who have been baptized are much more than those who “come out” They are afraid of the reactions of the people around them. They are secret Christians.
A.: Yes, there is fear. But this has to be changed, as well as the attitude of the society toward those who change their religion. In all cases, the Orthodox Church doesn’t proselyte. Something more, she has very high requirements for those, who want to change their faith. You should go through long catechization and the sincerity is examined.

- So it is not easy to enter in the Orthodox Church?

N.: No, a year has passed, but we wanted it so much.

- Were you scared by the attacks against Christians, the murder of Father Santoro in Trabzon or the slaughter of Christians in Malatya, for example? Who do you think is behind these attacks?

A.: I don’t think such a thing may happen in the capital. The country is changing, considering the negotiations with the European Union. Turks are becoming more open and tolerant. But it is understandable that some extreme circles react against this changing. Paranoid resistance to progress is found in these circles everywhere in the world. They are dark forces that have nothing to do with the state. They are the periphery of society.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:29:08 PM by ag_vn » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:12:44 PM »

I hope we see lots more.

Amen!

Christ is risen!

Well, what do you mean by that?   Wink

Him flying the colors.

Are you a Domo fan?

LOL.  No, my sons watching Yu-gi-oh and Dragon Ball is more than I can take (though sometimes when I am nostalgic, I'll go for Speed Racer).  I think the only time I had heard/seen of him before was in reference to this

and what the Almighty is alleged to do to extract justice Shocked

Perhaps I should change my avatar to this....

[/font][/size]

LOL. Is it Soviet?

ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:18:45 PM »

Actually, Antioch factors in many: one of our Turkish Orthodox here posted some Orthodox links in Turkish, and they were conected with Antiochians (althought the administration of the Patriarchate has been translated to Damascus, Antioch is at present occupied by the Turkish Republic.  Although all Arabic speaking, the inhabitants are forced to write only Turkish).
Some Antiochian sites from Southeast Turkey, the Hatay and Mersin provinces, nowadays belonging to the Archdiocese of Aleppo.

www.ortodoksluk.org - "Ortodoksluk" is Orthodoxy in Turkish

www.antakyaortodoks.com - The Orthodox church in Antioch/Antakya, the capital of the Hatay Province.

www.mersinortodoks.com - The Orthodox church in Mersin, the capital of the Mersin Province.

www.samandagortodoks.com - The Orthodox church in Samandağ, Hatay Province. The site also has a lot of video clips from the Holy Week, Easter, etc.

www.metacafe.com/channels/samandagortodokss - There are videoclips from the Paschal liturgy from 2009.

I was not aware of the Bulgarians on the other end of the Republic. Could explain the rift with the EP with the Bulgarians, although the exarch is long gone to Sofia.

www.svetistephan.com
The Bulgarian community in Istanbul has three churches - Saint Stephen, commonly known as the Iron church, Saint John of Rila in the house of the Exarchate and Saint Demetrius in the Bulgarian cemetery.

The former Bulgarian uniate church Holy Trinity is now belonging to the Greek apostolic exarchate, I don't know if there are Bulgarian eastern catholics in Turkey anymore.

The only functioning Orthodox church in Edirne (Adrianople, Odrin) is the Bulgarian church Saint George, there is another Bulgarian church Sts. Constantin and Helena, but I think it is not functioning. Once the town was a major center of the Bulgarian uniate movement and episcopal seat, with many churches and seminary, but there is nothing left now.

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »

LOL.  No, my sons watching Yu-gi-oh and Dragon Ball is more than I can take (though sometimes when I am nostalgic, I'll go for Speed Racer).  I think the only time I had heard/seen of him before was in reference to this

and what the Almighty is alleged to do to extract justice Shocked

"Domo" is Japanese humor on tranquillizers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXB1ztRBIsc

Does not cause wild screaming or shouting competitions like Dora or "Kung Fu Hustle."

Tags: Constantinople Turkey 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: