Author Topic: Advice for Those Under Spiritual Attack  (Read 5148 times)

Offline DeathToTheWorld

Advice for Those Under Spiritual Attack
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »
CONTEXT NOTE:  The following thread started here:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27216.0.html  -PtA

Is it physical or spiritual?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:36:14 PM by PeterTheAleut »
100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai

Offline joshuak

Re: Advice for Those Under Spiritual Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:03:23 PM »
Well, it's complicated.

It started out as severe spiritual "attacks", but this had lead to a breakdown of my health and lots of very bad
symptoms which at times I have felt might kill me. Doctors don't see any thing wrong with me but the problems have become very debilitating.

I'm not an orthodox christian, but I used to be a prodestant. Nobody in the church there seemed able to help me so I thought
I'd turn to orthodoxy for answers and help.

Thank you all for your prayers. If anyone had any advice on dealing with this I'd be indebted.

Offline DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »
Well, it's complicated.

It started out as severe spiritual "attacks", but this had lead to a breakdown of my health and lots of very bad
symptoms which at times I have felt might kill me. Doctors don't see any thing wrong with me but the problems have become very debilitating.

I'm not an orthodox christian, but I used to be a prodestant. Nobody in the church there seemed able to help me so I thought
I'd turn to orthodoxy for answers and help.

Thank you all for your prayers. If anyone had any advice on dealing with this I'd be indebted.

Maybe its because you are not Eastern Orthodox. Maybe you need the Body and Blood of Christ.
If you were Orhtodox, you could pray to certain saints and they might help you.

Maybe you need to go to a different doctor.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:01:17 PM by DeathToTheWorld »
100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai

Offline joshuak

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
Perhaps it is because I am not orthodox. I've long thought of the why.
The attacks started shortly after I had returned from a missions trip.

I have long since parted ways with my protestant faith.
But there is something about the spirit of Orthodoxy that I find much more appealing. More sensible and grounded than that of my previous church.

I am unwilling to become an Orthodox Christian merely as a test to see if it would stop my spiritual troubles. That would be insincere, and I imagine spiritually dangerous. I would like to approach Orthodoxy with as much respect and reverence as I can.

If I am to ever become Orthodox, it will be a full commitment, and not something I would enter into lightly.

I would not want to condemn myself by half heatedly partaking in the gifts of God, and then turn away because I wasn't fully convinced to begin with.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
If you are interested in learning more about Orthodoxy, I would advise you to contact a priest at a local Orthodox parish, and to visit the parish. Attend the services, learn about the faith. Just because you attend a few services doesn't commit you to anything. :) It will, however, provide you an opportunity to learn more about the faith.

In regards to Spiritual Attack, you may also want to speak to the priest about this as well, as he is more qualified to answer these types of questions then those on an internet forum.

In the mean time, pray, read the Psalms, and pray some more.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:34:21 AM »
If you are interested in learning more about Orthodoxy, I would advise you to contact a priest at a local Orthodox parish, and to visit the parish. Attend the services, learn about the faith. Just because you attend a few services doesn't commit you to anything. :) It will, however, provide you an opportunity to learn more about the faith.

In regards to Spiritual Attack, you may also want to speak to the priest about this as well, as he is more qualified to answer these types of questions then those on an internet forum.

In the mean time, pray, read the Psalms, and pray some more.

^This is good advice. I would also encourage you to begin saying the Jesus Prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." This prayer is very powerful, and can be effectively used for any situation or circumstance.

When I was an Evangelical Protestant, I used to criticize repetative and litany forms of prayer. But Orthodoxy showed me that such prayers are both Scriptural and beneficial. The Jesus Prayer is actually a summation of the Gospel:

a) Jesus is Lord

b) He is the Son of God, one of the three Persons of the Holy Trinity

c) We are sinners completely dependent upon His mercy and grace

So the Jesus Prayer can never be prayed too redundantly!

I hope that helps.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:05:45 AM »
Lord, have mercy on Your servant joshuak.
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."