Author Topic: just to let everyone know  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
just to let everyone know
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
Hello, All.  I have decided that to really trust myself around a computer, I must abstain from the use of the internet for a while.  After today, I won't be active on the forum for a while.  I'm giving myself a month of no internet use (except e-mail, when important or urgent)  then I'll be back.

please keep me in your prayers.

the servent of Christ, Tikhon (Trevor).

Offline Laura

Re: just to let everyone know
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
Trevor, you may not be back soon to see this, but you're in my prayers.  I've been on this site only since last night, and am already showing symptoms of being hooked.  I've been hooked before, but not like this.  With God's help, I'll try to stay off the computer every day until after lunch,  except in cases of real necessity.  Christ is Risen, and He is the Victor over everything that might entrap us.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
Trevor, you may not be back soon to see this, but you're in my prayers.  I've been on this site only since last night, and am already showing symptoms of being hooked.  I've been hooked before, but not like this.  With God's help, I'll try to stay off the computer every day until after lunch,  except in cases of real necessity.  Christ is Risen, and He is the Victor over everything that might entrap us.

Thanks for your prayers!  actually, I have been suffering with the habit of looking up...let's just say "dirty things" on the internet.  I need to stay off, to get myself off of the temptation.  I love OC.net.  This site has helped me through my conversion so much!

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Is the software not working?

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Is the software not working?

yes, it is working.  but, I find that just virtually taking away the temptation may not be as effective as physically shutting down the temptation...just for a while. :)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
May God be with you and keep you. As soon as I graduate next month from school I want to throw my computer out the window.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
May God be with you and keep you. As soon as I graduate next month from school I want to throw my computer out the window.

Abuse!
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
I'll join you! (if I could :D)

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »
Trevor your in my prayers !
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »
Sounds like you are making a very wise and mature decision.  I know God will honor your efforts to purify from temptations. Use the time away to catch up on some good spiritual reading!

You are in my prayers.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:38 AM »
I would also recommend you talk with a spiritual father as well, just to double check your decision and if it makes sense to someone much wiser than ourselves with spiritual directives. 

Christ is Risen! 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline arnI

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »
In case you decide to check back ...  When you return to the Net, maybe place a small icon, candle, or prayer rope nearby as a reminder when you start to "miss the mark". Also  time limitations of computer use sounds good  ... and once again use that new spare time for other uses. Maybe only allow your self to spend the same amount of time on the computer as you spend in prayer? As stated previously by another poster, you should speak to someone much wiser than ourselves with spiritual directives.

Let us pray to the Lord, Lord Have Mercy!
Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother

Offline Laura

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »
Thank you for replying, Trevor.  After I wrote to you, I read more and realized that you were writing about kinds of internet viewing, not just quantity of time.  The latter is my problem if I let it take over, and then more important things don't get done.  The Lord blesses and helps us in all our various struggles against temptation.  I do hope you're keeping in close touch with your spiritual advisor about ways of dealing with the problem, and I hope you won't be away from the forum for too long.  I already see that there are some very wise Christians here.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »
I'm back everyone!

I think I've spent a good amount of time off of the internet.  I am ready to jump back in!

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »
I'm back everyone!

I think I've spent a good amount of time off of the internet.  I am ready to jump back in!

I hope you've had a productive break!
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »
Likewise, I also hope the break was beneficial :)
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
Welcome back!

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:30 PM »
Welcome back!
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline Vzldrb

• Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »
Trevor,

There is nothing better than learning to watch your mind. Be acutely aware. When you feel temptation, cross yourself. I have used this to great effect since yesterday, and I have not masturbated since. Be aware - and pray. Mind you, I'm 19.

Also: Don't think about not doing it. That will obsess your mind, and actually make it harder. Focus on something, anything. Keep yourself busy. Do pushups. You get the idea.