OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 02:14:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: just to let everyone know  (Read 998 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: April 12, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »

Hello, All.  I have decided that to really trust myself around a computer, I must abstain from the use of the internet for a while.  After today, I won't be active on the forum for a while.  I'm giving myself a month of no internet use (except e-mail, when important or urgent)  then I'll be back.

please keep me in your prayers.

the servent of Christ, Tikhon (Trevor).

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Laura

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »

Trevor, you may not be back soon to see this, but you're in my prayers.  I've been on this site only since last night, and am already showing symptoms of being hooked.  I've been hooked before, but not like this.  With God's help, I'll try to stay off the computer every day until after lunch,  except in cases of real necessity.  Christ is Risen, and He is the Victor over everything that might entrap us.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »

Trevor, you may not be back soon to see this, but you're in my prayers.  I've been on this site only since last night, and am already showing symptoms of being hooked.  I've been hooked before, but not like this.  With God's help, I'll try to stay off the computer every day until after lunch,  except in cases of real necessity.  Christ is Risen, and He is the Victor over everything that might entrap us.

Thanks for your prayers!  actually, I have been suffering with the habit of looking up...let's just say "dirty things" on the internet.  I need to stay off, to get myself off of the temptation.  I love OC.net.  This site has helped me through my conversion so much!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Is the software not working?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Is the software not working?

yes, it is working.  but, I find that just virtually taking away the temptation may not be as effective as physically shutting down the temptation...just for a while. Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »

May God be with you and keep you. As soon as I graduate next month from school I want to throw my computer out the window.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »

May God be with you and keep you. As soon as I graduate next month from school I want to throw my computer out the window.

Abuse!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »

I'll join you! (if I could Cheesy)

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »

Trevor your in my prayers !

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »

Sounds like you are making a very wise and mature decision.  I know God will honor your efforts to purify from temptations. Use the time away to catch up on some good spiritual reading!

You are in my prayers.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:38 AM »

I would also recommend you talk with a spiritual father as well, just to double check your decision and if it makes sense to someone much wiser than ourselves with spiritual directives. 

Christ is Risen! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »

In case you decide to check back ...  When you return to the Net, maybe place a small icon, candle, or prayer rope nearby as a reminder when you start to "miss the mark". Also  time limitations of computer use sounds good  ... and once again use that new spare time for other uses. Maybe only allow your self to spend the same amount of time on the computer as you spend in prayer? As stated previously by another poster, you should speak to someone much wiser than ourselves with spiritual directives.

Let us pray to the Lord, Lord Have Mercy!

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Laura

Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »

Thank you for replying, Trevor.  After I wrote to you, I read more and realized that you were writing about kinds of internet viewing, not just quantity of time.  The latter is my problem if I let it take over, and then more important things don't get done.  The Lord blesses and helps us in all our various struggles against temptation.  I do hope you're keeping in close touch with your spiritual advisor about ways of dealing with the problem, and I hope you won't be away from the forum for too long.  I already see that there are some very wise Christians here.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »

I'm back everyone!

I think I've spent a good amount of time off of the internet.  I am ready to jump back in!

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

I'm back everyone!

I think I've spent a good amount of time off of the internet.  I am ready to jump back in!

I hope you've had a productive break!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »

Likewise, I also hope the break was beneficial Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »

Welcome back!
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:30 PM »

Welcome back!

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »

Trevor,

There is nothing better than learning to watch your mind. Be acutely aware. When you feel temptation, cross yourself. I have used this to great effect since yesterday, and I have not masturbated since. Be aware - and pray. Mind you, I'm 19.

Also: Don't think about not doing it. That will obsess your mind, and actually make it harder. Focus on something, anything. Keep yourself busy. Do pushups. You get the idea.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: