OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Island Monastery  (Read 1831 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

Has anyone here visited the Monastery of the Holy Cross in Long Island? I'm interested in visiting the next time I'm in the States and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to what it was like, what the rules are for visitors, which languages are used (Greek or Arabic?), etc.

I think it was under the Patrharchate of Jerusalem until recently when those churches became part of the GOA's vicariate for Palestinian-Jordanian communities.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »

Has anyone here visited the Monastery of the Holy Cross in Long Island? I'm interested in visiting the next time I'm in the States and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to what it was like, what the rules are for visitors, which languages are used (Greek or Arabic?), etc.

I think it was under the Patrharchate of Jerusalem until recently when those churches became part of the GOA's vicariate for Palestinian-Jordanian communities.

I am aware that the monastery you mention remains under the Patriarchate of Jerusalem since they kept Jurisdiction over 3 Monastic Communities in the USA.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »

I am aware that the monastery you mention remains under the Patriarchate of Jerusalem since they kept Jurisdiction over 3 Monastic Communities in the USA.

Where are these located?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »

I was there before Fr Maximos arrived, on two occasions. How time flies...!

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »

Where are these located?

Obtained from here, in bold:  Note that the English version of the JP's site does not have these listed and the =http://jerusalem-patriarchate.info/ar/metoxia.htmArabic version has these listed.

1. Ἱερά Μονή Τιμίου Σταυροῦ
Ἡγούμενος: Ὁ Ἀρχιμανδρίτης Νικόδημος
Ἐφημέριοι: οἱ Ἀρχιμ. Μάξιμος & Ἰωάννης
Ἱεροδιάκονοι: Μιχαήλ καί Παρθένιος
Monastery of the Holy Gross
140 Main Street, East Setauket, N.Y. 11733 Long Island
 Τηλ. +001-631-246-9020.

2. Ἱερά Μονή Θείας Ἀναλήψεως
Ἱερατικός Προϊστάμενος: ὁ Ἀρχιμανδρίτης Ναζάριος
Ἱεροδιάκονος: Ἰουστῖνος
Ἐφημέριος: ὁ π. Ἰωάννης Watts
Μonastery of the Glorious Ascension
P.O. Box 397, Resaca, Georgia 30735-0397
Τηλ. +001-706-277 9442 καί fax: +001-206-984-0629
Url:www.monastery.org
Email:mga@monastery.org

3. Ἱερά Μονή τῆς Ἀναστάσεως
Ἡγούμενος: ὁ Ἀρχιμανδρίτης Ἰωάννης
Δόκιμος Σεραφείμ
Monastery of the Ressurection
Fridley, Minnesota
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »

Bless Father,

Could you say anything about what services were like? Frequency of services, style/quality of chanting, language, attitude to visitors?
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »

I don't know the status of the monastery in Minnesota, but the other two monasteries have been transferred/returned to the ROCOR.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tony

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »

I go to the services there. They are in ROCOR. They have Divine Liturgy at 10:00 AM Sunday, 9:00 AM Saturday with Matins an hour before every DL. Weekdays there is Matins at 7:00 AM and Vespers 7:00 PM. They use Byzantine chant and the services are in English with some Slavonic, Greek, Georgian, etc. They are very welcoming of visitors. This is their blog

http://holycrossmonasterysetauket.blogspot.com

Bless Father,

Could you say anything about what services were like? Frequency of services, style/quality of chanting, language, attitude to visitors?
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »

I don't know the status of the monastery in Minnesota, but the other two monasteries have been transferred/returned to the ROCOR.

Under ROCOR as well; hence all 3 monasteries under the JP are now under ROCOR.

http://resurrectionskete.org

The Jerusalem Patriarchate still lists the monasteries as their metochia in USA.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »

The Jerusalem Patriarchate still lists the monasteries as their metochia in USA.
Interesting how they didn't obey orders from the Phanar.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »

Interesting how they didn't obey orders from the Phanar.

I don't know what to make of this - either the JP webmaster is lazy or the JP is defiant or a neglected oversight is becoming an eyesore?   Huh

A monastery can't be bi-jurisdictional - some monastics come from JP and some come from ROCOR or whereever?   Huh
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »

I think that since they were monasteries it was easy to reclassify them as dependencies of the Patriarchate (like St. Catherine's in Moscow). Though why that couldn't have been done with the parishes is beyond me - Moscow certainly has enough 'dependent' parishes in the USA and Canada.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: