OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Trailer for 'The Passion"  (Read 1928 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: January 17, 2004, 07:11:17 PM »

A new trailer (not the 'teaser trailer') is out.  You can watch it at the official website.

http://www.thepassionofchrist.com/

In IC XC
Samer

P.S. Still worried about the Aramaic, with fingers crossed.
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 07:38:03 PM »

I don't know Aramic, but if the movie was in Coptic (my ethnic language) and had minor mistakes in pronouncing names or so I would forgive Mel if the accounts are accurate and according to the gospel.
Does anybody know whether the movie stops at the cross or do they bring the resurrection and the ascension at the end?
In any case,if the movie turns out to be accurate, I will respect Mel Gibson for choosing to produce a movie about Christ in an age of fornication. He could have produced a trivial movie discussing any stupid topic and still make a big profit, and a movie about Christ will definitly cast him out of Holywood.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 07:42:49 PM »

Hi Stavro

Can I ask what church you belong to?

Peter Theodore

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 07:56:08 PM »

The Ascension is certainly not in the film.  Neither is the Resurrection as far as I know, but there may be some indication of it or a little foreshadowing.  That remains to be seen.

Re: Aramaic, a nearness to perfection is not what one should aim at expecting, of course--I am guessing the Latin will come out more convincing, seeing a large Italian cast involved-- but if Caviezel (and others) will at least pronounce Semitic consonants with no difficulty and manage to speak in a manner that does not sound grating to the Semitic ear, that will be enough (I wager the film will succeed on that point).  Since you are Coptic, I assume you speak Arabic (Iz'zay'yak?), so you have an idea of the higher bar that is set by Levantines who possess a sharper aural perception of the quality of speech that a film such as this will offer.  Inshallah kheir.

Of course, kudos to Gibson for his efforts, no matter the outcome.

In IC XC
Samer
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »

Peace Peter,

I am oriental othodox christian. I belong to the Coptic Orthodox Church, my Pope is His Holyness Pope Shenouda the Third, Pope of Alexandria

What about you, Peter?

In Him,
Stavro
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 08:02:44 PM by Stavro » Logged

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 05:20:21 AM »

Hi Stavro

I belong to the British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. My bishop is Metropolitan Seraphim and and my Pope is His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, who is in the UK at this moment.

Seeking your prayers

Peter Theodore

Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 05:41:37 AM »

Brother Peter,
pray for me as well. I used to attend His Holiness Pope Shenouda III weekly lectures when I was in Egypt. Great teacher, but I never listened to him in English.
Is the British Orthodox Church like the American Orthodox Church, who started a long journey to discover the apostolic faith until they arrived to Orthodoxy and joined an apostolic church, or do you mean the Coptic Orthodox Church in Britian?
I am very interested in knowing more, maybe in a different subject or if you can oofer links to help.

Brother SamB,
of course I speak arabic. It is my mother tongue. "Keef a7walak inta, rabena ma3ak".
I am disappointed that the Resurrection is not in the movie. Why are the Jewish lobby protesting then? Without Resurrection, The Lord Jesus is made a good teacher, a noble philosopher, but certainly also a blasphimer who deserved death, as he could not raise himself from the dead and is not divine.
I know that each movie has its certain scope and points it want to address, but that is a major event very much related to the cruxification.

Let us wait and see. "rabena yesaheel".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 06:14:17 AM by Stavro » Logged

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 06:31:48 AM »

Brother Stavro

The BOC did indeed spend many years in the wilderness, it was established in 1866. But after talks with His Holiness and Metropolitan Bishoy the possibility of union with the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate was raised. At Pentecost 1994 in St Mark's Cathedral His Holiness consecrated the 'independent' Orthodox bishop Mar Seraphim to the Coptic Orthodox episcopate as Metropolitan Seraphim. It is the same as happened with the Coptic Orthodox Church of France under Metropolitan Athanasios some decades earlier, who is a Frenchman and whose church serves the growing number of Frecnh converts to Orthodoxy.

I was fortunate to be seated in the middle of the front row of the Cathedral at one of Pops Shenouda's Wednesday lectures and it was awesome to see 7000 young and old, men and women, all gathered to hear him teach and answer questions from the floor. There's a radio translation service in the Cathedral so I could understand. Then afterwards I went with my Metropolitan - I was just there to serve him - and sat quietly in His Holiness' presence while my bishop had an audience with him.

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 11:59:22 AM »

Brother SamB,
of course I speak arabic. It is my mother tongue. "Keef a7walak inta, rabena ma3ak".

Wa ma'aak ya khooya.  Intool Aqbaat naw'wartoolna Canada.  Ana nafsee Sooree.  Hadertak b'tit'kal'lam Qubti?  I hear that it is spoken as a vernacular in a few remote villages in Egypt today.

I am disappointed that the Resurrection is not in the movie. Why are the Jewish lobby protesting then? Without Resurrection, The Lord Jesus is made a good teacher, a noble philosopher, but certainly also a blasphimer who deserved death, as he could not raise himself from the dead and is not divine.
I know that each movie has its certain scope and points it want to address, but that is a major event very much related to the cruxification.

I understand the reservations.  But as you say, let us see what will come of it, w'it'tikil 'ala Allah.  Even if the Resurrection is not explicitly shown, we can hope there will be enough of an indication of this future event and a sense of anticipation within the film to adequately illustrate the Lord's message, "Anal qiyaamatu wal hayaa."

Rab'bina ma'aak.  Eish ismak, ya akhi?

In IC XC
Samer
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 04:14:50 AM »

Peter,
thanks for the clarification. It is always great to hear about the struggle of a church to find the Orthodox faith, because they usually know its great value after many years in the wilderness and are usually great believers.

SamB,
thanks for your nice words. We also appreciate our christian brothers in the Middle East  as they go through similar trials and tribulations like we do. I don't speak Coptic language, but I know how to read it and to follow up with the text. I know the meaning of the words, but I don't speak it. There are remote villages which perserved the language, but these are basically villages cut from the world. Maybe for their best ( I mean it).
Do you speak Aramic ?

Peace,
Stavro

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 11:35:38 PM »

Dear Stavro,

I do not speak Aramaic (I don't understand ecclesiastical Syriac either as my tradition is Rumi [Byzantine]), but the villages you mention exist in my country, Ma'loula being the most touted by the tourism officials.

Here is an article that will interest you:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/world/5428392.htm

Here's a short description of the aforementioned village, with pictures:
http://www.syrialive.net/Tourism/MajorSites/ma3lola/ma3loola.htm

In IC XC
Samer
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: