OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:30:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory Eternal Bishop Daniel  (Read 2204 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: April 26, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »

http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/2010/04/memory-eternal-bishop-daniel.html

Bishop Daniel of Erie, Vicar Bishop of the President of the Synod of Bishops for Old Believers, reposed in the Lord this morning.

May his memory be eternal!

Joseph
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

Christ is risen!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »

Vechnaya pamyat!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

Memory Eternal!
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »

Vechnaya Pamyat! Memory Eternal!

Xhristos Voskrese! Voistinu Voskrese!

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »

Memory eternal!

Christ is Risen!

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »

Memory Eternal!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »

Memory Eternal!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »

Memory Eternal!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:06 PM »

Memory Eternal!

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

+Memory Eternal!

For a minute my heart stopped at seeing the title of the thread -- I thought it was +Bishop Daniel of the UOC!  Shocked  He's only 37'ish, so I would have been very surprised (and upset) at his repose!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:20:15 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:47 PM »

! ХРИСТОС ВОСКРЕСЕ !

+ Господе Помилуј...! +
+ Блажени Покој Души, Међу Праведне..Амин +
+ Вечнаја Памјат....Амин Амин +

+ Мay His Memory Be Eternal.....Amen Amen +

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:01:50 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »

Christ is Risen.  Memory eternal.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »

May the memory of the servant of God, the Bishop Daniel, be eternal!

Christ is risen!
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »

3 thoughts on the third day after the repose of Bishop Daniel of Erie
Posted by: "gciuba"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-rocor/message/11279;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMDVnNDM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzMwMDQ2NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDc0NTk4BG1zZ0lkAzExMjc5BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNzI1MzgwMjg-

1. Vladyka Daniel was always himself, without any pretence, without any ambition, without any fear, without any considerations of political correctness. He was a multilingual, multitalented genius. While being completely loyal and devoted to the Orthodox faith and serving the Orthodox Church as priest and bishop, he pursued his own interests, which could include sailing ships and translating an odd work from one language into another even though no one was interested in it. His life shows that a priest of the Church does not have to be a conformist, a man-pleaser, a servant of expediency.

2. Vladyka Daniel was chiefly devoted to the Old Rite, which has always seemed to the majority of Orthodox people to be an incomprehensible lost cause. He travelled around and ministered to scattered groups of Old Ritualists, seeking to keep them within the saving enclosure of the Orthodox Church. His long years of scarcely-rewarded labours in this field at last bore fruit in 1982, when, following his example, one of the largest parishes of Old Believers in existence outside Russia was reunited with the Russian Church Abroad. The Old Rite Church of the Nativity of Christ in Erie, Pennsylvania, was founded around the turn of the 20th century and remained isolated from the main body of Orthodox believers until its pastor, Father Pimen Simon, led his flock into the Church. Vladyka Daniel served as an inspiration for this parish and a guarantee that they could forever continue to maintain the sacred traditions of Old Russia as they had been preserved for centuries, substantially unchanged. When Father Dimitri Alexandrow became Bishop Daniel of Erie and subsequently moved to the parish, he became their archpastor. In this Vladyka Daniel, although he had only one (rather large) parish under his direct guidance, fulfilled a historic role. Although the Russian Orthodox Church had allowed the use of the Old Rite at least since 1800 under the terms of the "Edinoverie" (oneness in faith), the Old Ritualists were not treated with complete acceptance and trust. As far as I know, before the episcopal consecration of Bishop Daniel, there had been only one other Old Ritualist bishop in the Russian Orthodox Church, the Holy New Hieromartyr Simon (Shleyev), Bishop of Okhta. Although there have been hierarchs who drew close to the Old Ritualists, such as our Metropolitan Antony (Khrapovitsky) , of blessed memory, and the Holy New Hieromartyr Andrew (Prince Ukhtomsky) of Ufa, and in our days Metropolitan Juvenaly of Krutitsy and Kolomna, Bishop Daniel was unique in being a bishop of and for the Old Rite. His existence was a seal upon the unity of the Old and New Rites in one Russian Orthodox Church.

3. Vladyka Daniel rendered a great service to our Russian Church Abroad by what he did not do. Always independent- minded, he never subscribed to the ideology of gracelessness, and believed that the Church Abroad should be in communion with the Church in Russia. This was his position even in the dark days of suspicion and isolation, when fear of Communism and horror of Soviet persecution were the prevailing winds in our church life. When the wind changed and even churchmen who had been vocally anti-Moscow became ardent adherents of the Patriarchate, Vladyka Daniel still remained independent. He feared that our little church would be swallowed up by the much-larger Patriarchate. He desired our Church to enjoy that independence of spirit that had characterised his own life. Nevertheless, when he was approached by representatives of those opposed to any reconciliation with Moscow, Vladyka Daniel steadfastly refused to become the leader, initiator or propagator of a schism. By that time Vladyka Daniel was quite enfeebled, and envoys of Bishop Agathangel tried very hard to persuade him to join their group. (In fact, one observer said that the actions of the representatives of Bishop Agathangel were so devious, manipulative and dishonest that even if one sympathised with their goals, one would turn away from them because of their deceitfulness. ) Because Bishop Daniel would not consent to join Bishop Agathangel in forming a synod and ordaining new bishops, Bishop Agathagel was left in the untenable position of claiming to be the sole remaining hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad, and after some time he had to seek out the aid of one of the Greek Old Calendarist groups to create his hierarchy. Thus, Vladyka Daniel, by remaining, as always, who he was, what he was and where he was, deprived the followers of Bishop Agathangel of the support and prestige his accession would have contributed to their cause and their claims.

Many people will tell stories about Vladyka Daniel for many years, and the stories will be amusing, wise and true. Many who met him heard this little story, which I repeat for the benefit of those who didn't know him. It goes something like this:
Vladyka Daniel to a visitor: Would you like to join our new society, the "Three F" Society?
Visitor: What do the three Fs stand for?
Vladyka: Fault-finding Farisees.
Visitor: But "Pharisee" is not spelled with an F ...
Vladyka: Ah, you see, you are already one of us!

Memory eternal to the Right Reverend Bishop Daniel!

Abbot German (Ciuba)
who was privileged to know Vladyka just a little
Lenexa

Faith: Old Orthodox

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »

Вечная память!

Lord Have Mercy!
I have been busy and not bothered to check the news for the past weeks. I am in shock right now. I watched the video from his funeral. I am Orthodox but very seldom do tears wet my eyes! Such a wonderful soul in his body that now lies in coffin until the Trumpets blast. We are here body and soul always able to pray, to help others, to repent for our sins, to prepare but it is always hard to keep our minds from wandering, our hearts from wandering, our passions from influencing us.
I cried because of who we sinners have lost! Such a great sinner like me who needs constant reminders of his faith, of his death, his sin, his need to repent, of Christ and the magnificence of how he transform those who are willing to Love Him with their whole mind and heart, body and soul. Never again will their be new photos or stories about this kind bishop reminiscent of a loving grandfather but with the intelligence and knowledge in his field not paralled on this continent! Their are specific aspects, details, etc. of the Russian Old Rite (Liturgics, culture, histore, etc.) that so few in America know, are really able to remember, to understand, to put into practice among those in communion with "world Orthodoxy" that the Old Orthodox of America have lost a great, if not the greatest, living resource. The Lord was merciful in allowing Bishop John of Caracas to be consecrated in the Old Rite as a successor to Bishop Daniel.
I'm not Russian, I came to Orthodoxy late and am not deserving to even be called a Christian but from the work of Bishop Daniel I, an ignorant fool who can barely remember the cyrillic letters, have been graced yet again in finding another field of fragrant flowers from Paradise in the garden of Russian Old Orthodoxy!
I pray for your repose!
But I also pray for the day when we pray to you!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: