OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 05:48:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Books Would You Like To See Produced?  (Read 1120 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »

Are there any theological books that you would like to see, which covers a topic or perspective that (so far as you are aware) is not yet available? For an example, maybe you want to read a book on the anthropological views of St. John Chrysostom, but aren't aware of any such books (at least in your first language).

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »

To answer my own question, I'd like to see a book published in English that has the complete works of Gregory the Theologian.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:09:14 PM »

No.  I'm so far behind in my reading that to add to it will only add to my frustration and shorten my lifespan which will deprive me of the books already on the list. Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:29:40 AM »

No.  I'm so far behind in my reading that to add to it will only add to my frustration and shorten my lifespan which will deprive me of the books already on the list. Cheesy

Cheesy A good point. I remember getting a catalogue from a company, I think 8th day books, and they must have had a thousand books in there, and I kept finding several new books that I wanted on every page... and I knew that I'd never read even a fraction of them before my days were done.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:30:10 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:29:51 AM »

Are there any theological books that you would like to see, which covers a topic or perspective that (so far as you are aware) is not yet available? For an example, maybe you want to read a book on the anthropological views of St. John Chrysostom, but aren't aware of any such books (at least in your first language).

1.) More books about the formations of the different Biblical canons and why we differ from both Rome and Protestantism.

2.) More books in English about ancient eastern christian art and architecture

3.) Apologetics and Polemic works

4.) A new and fresh translation of all of the fathers, and nonfathers/witnesses from the past 2,000 years

5.) A biography and dictionary of the church fathers

6.) More Study and Devotional Bibles

7.) One scholarly book that covers the 7 councils

8.) More church history books

9.) More fictional books for kids

10.) Fictional books for adults.....like Orthodox in Space(future sci fi....saving the empress/princess), or Orthodox mid-evil knights(the past mixed in with a bunch of fantasy...like monks, priests, and soldiers/knights fighting vampires, and other evil monsters...and saving the day at the end by rescuing the princess or Empress), ...both OO and EO...like the Nubians......etc
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:41:01 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »

7.) One scholarly book that covers the 7 councils

Fwiw, there is a book titled The Ecumenical Synods of the Orthodox Church: A Concise History, by Fr. James Thornton (a traditionalist Orthodox priest) which gives an overview of the seven councils (my short review is here). Though it's not necessarily scholarly/academic, it might be worth checking out.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »

I would like to see volumes devoted to the selected or (if possible) complete poetic works of our various poet-saints, including St. John Damascene, St. Romanos the Melodist, St. Kassiane, St. Joseph the Hymnographer, St. Theodore the Studite (I believe a German edition already exists for him), St. Cosmas, etc., all in good classical English and appropriate for liturgical use (in the case of hymns). I realize a lot of this material is already embedded in various liturgical books, but I think it would be nice to have volumes devoted to specific Fathers, many of whom also wrote personal devotional poetry and even secular verse.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:40:27 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »

Orthodox mid-evil knights(the past mixed in with a bunch of fantasy...like monks, priests, and soldiers/knights fighting vampires, and other evil monsters...and saving the day at the end by rescuing the princess or Empress), ...both OO and EO...like the Nubians......etc

Hehe, I can definitely get behind this. I think we definitely need some Orthodox epic poetry, something to answer to Dante, Spenser, and Milton. Have you heard of Digenes Akritas? I haven't read it, but it's a Byzantine romance that includes some dragon-slaying. Also, the Serbian Kosovo poems have a lot of fantastic elements.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »

Orthodox mid-evil knights(the past mixed in with a bunch of fantasy...like monks, priests, and soldiers/knights fighting vampires, and other evil monsters...and saving the day at the end by rescuing the princess or Empress), ...both OO and EO...like the Nubians......etc

Hehe, I can definitely get behind this. I think we definitely need some Orthodox epic poetry, something to answer to Dante, Spenser, and Milton. Have you heard of Digenes Akritas? I haven't read it, but it's a Byzantine romance that includes some dragon-slaying. Also, the Serbian Kosovo poems have a lot of fantastic elements.

I'm currently working on a series of books that blends elements of Tolkien, Lewis, Genesis, GK Chesterton's Everlasting Man, and Celtic mythology.  The first chapter starts off in a monastery (sadly, the setting of the world requires my monks to be pagans for a time, something that will be rectified in the second book of the series).  Maybe I'll post some excerpts as I'm working on it (I'll be publishing the entirety of the first book online once it is finished, hopefully within a few months).

The idea started off almost ten years ago, growing as I've moved closer to the Orthodox Church.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

I think the biggest single problem we have in English is the woeful lack of primary sources from the first 1,400 years of the Church. So, I wish there were English translations of Corpus Christianorum and Sources Chretiennes. The Belgians and French are putting us to shame. They keep churning out great editions of pretty much everything, regardless of if it's in Greek, Latin, Arabic, Armenian, Coptic, Ethiopian, Georgian, Slavonic, or Syriac.

To answer my own question, I'd like to see a book published in English that has the complete works of Gregory the Theologian.

That would be quite a book! Corpus Christianorum has Corpus Nazianzenum, a sub-series overseen by a group of faculty at Louvain, which is publishing critical editions of all of St. Gregory's works. So far, they have 23 volumes.

http://nazianzos.fltr.ucl.ac.be/

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »

That would be quite a book! Corpus Christianorum has Corpus Nazianzenum, a sub-series overseen by a group of faculty at Louvain, which is publishing critical editions of all of St. Gregory's works. So far, they have 23 volumes.
http://nazianzos.fltr.ucl.ac.be/

I'm ashamed to say, I had no idea.  Embarrassed I thought the Migne edition had like 3 or 4 volumes on St. Gregory, so not that Migne is the end all be all of everything, but I figured that provided a rough estimate of the extent of St. Gregory's works. That, and what I've seen translated into English thus far (select Orations, letters, and poems) would seem to fit in one volume, and in the three biographies of Gregory I've read* I never got the sense that there was that much to sift through. I suppose I shouldn't have said book, but rather series of books, but even still, I had no idea that there was that much stuff!

*EDIT--Note, two of the biographies had a couple other saints in them, and were not biographies just of St. Gregory.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:36:26 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:21:26 AM »

"Latin Christianity for EO dummies" with special emphasis on ecclesiastical architecture, iconography, chant and liturgy. Kind of largely extended version of Fr. Seraphim's introduction to Vita Patrum.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »

I'm ashamed to say, I had no idea.  Embarrassed I thought the Migne edition had like 3 or 4 volumes on St. Gregory, so not that Migne is the end all be all of everything, but I figured that provided a rough estimate of the extent of St. Gregory's works.

I'm not sure, actually. Migne could very easily have versions of the vast majority. You'd have to look it up in the Clavis to be sure. In general, Migne, while an amazing accomplishment, is deficient according to modern standards, since we have had 160+ years to find more and better manuscripts. My guess is that the additional sources would be versions in Syriac, Coptic, Georgian, etc.

... I had no idea that there was that much stuff!

Well, a lot of space in each volume is taken up by the apparatus criticus. Maybe if you got rid of all of that, and crammed things in, you could fit it in a large, hardcover volume or two. Fr. John McGuckin would know.  Wink

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: