OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:37:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Book of the Hours?  (Read 1061 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: April 23, 2010, 04:29:40 AM »

Can anyone tell me if there is an Ethiopian Orthodox "Book of the Hours"? If so, is it available in English? If not, is there a comparable book from another OO Church that is in English?

Thanks.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:50:44 AM »

There are two variants of the Horologion in use in the Ethiopian Church. I believe one of them is more or less identical to the Coptic Horologion (Agpia) of which several English translations have been published. They're not difficult to get a hold of. You can find the online text here. I have not come accross any English translations of the other variant, but it might be worth calling your church to enquire - they might have some print-outs or something.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »

There are two variants of the Horologion in use in the Ethiopian Church. I believe one of them is more or less identical to the Coptic Horologion (Agpia) of which several English translations have been published. They're not difficult to get a hold of. You can find the online text here. I have not come accross any English translations of the other variant, but it might be worth calling your church to enquire - they might have some print-outs or something.

Thank you!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:00:09 AM »

Just to add, the other variant of the Horologion I mentioned was composed in the 15th Century by Abba Giyorgis of Gascha.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »

Can anyone tell me if there is an Ethiopian Orthodox "Book of the Hours"? If so, is it available in English? If not, is there a comparable book from another OO Church that is in English?

Thanks.

Selam

Selam GMK

This prayer book looks like an English translation of the Ethiopian Hours. From a quick scan through this looks like the first variant (almost identical to the Agpeya) mentioned above. Check it out, though it looks like it's an ongoing project so check back every now and then.

Otherwise all I've found is some info on the Hours from this page:

It is mandatory for all faithful to pray seven times a day and at the following hours:

1. Upon rising from bed in the morning and before eating or commencing any task. Wash your hands and pray standing: We glorify God for bringing us from darkness (night) to light (day). Adam was created. 

2. At the third hour (9:00 AM). It is the Hour Eve was created. Daniel, the prophet prayed to God; the incarnation of Christ was announced by the Angel Gabriel; The Lord was chastised in the presence of Pilot; and the Holy Spirit decended at Pentacost.

3. At the sixth hour (Noon). Satan is very active in deceiving people. Enoch offered prayer to God in the sanctuary at Noon, Christ was crucified at the 6th Hour.

4. At the ninth hour (3:00 PM). The Angels transmit our prayers and offerings to God. Our Lord gave His life on the Cross at the Ninth Hour for our salvation.

5. In the evening (6 PM) everyone receives payment for their labour; evening is a symbol of the Second Advent when everyone shall be judged according to his work. Christ was buried at this hour. 

6. In the evening (9 PM) before going to sleep, a prayer of thanksgiving is said because God has caused us to complete the working hours of the day, also God himself prayed at this hour.

7. The Midnight prayer is most important because it was at this Hour that Christ was born, baptized and rose from the dead and will come again to judge the living and the dead. The hands should be washed with water before morning and midnight prayers. (The washing of hands is a symbol of purification).

Kyrie Eleison (My Lord have Mercy) is said 41 times at the end of prayers or you can say: Ig-zee-'o  tesahalene x41  ("Lord have mercy upon us").

While we all may have busy lives, with school, work, travel etc. you may find yourself unable to say the full prayers at the appointed times, in that event it is good to still say the Lords Prayer and the Virgin Mariam prayer every 3rd hour, as previously stated. 

However it is most important to say the full morning prayers as well as the full PM prayers before going to sleep at night.

What follows on the page looks like the basic structure for all the Hours, probably varied to the themes of the hours.
Tags: Oriental Orthodox prayers Coptic Orthodox Church Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: