OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 01:36:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do deacons serve communion?  (Read 7127 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »

A sad phenomenon in the RCC' s post priest era. Mandatory celibacy, anyone?

True. However, as far as I know, deacons in the RCC are allowed to marry.
The normal wordplay applies, deacons are not allowed to marry, but they may be married.
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 06:22:21 AM »

True. However, as far as I know, deacons in the RCC are allowed to marry.

You might mean the permanent deacon in the Catholic Church; deacons bound for the priesthood in the Latin rite remain celibate.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »

I was at an OCA parish in St. Paul, MN this last weekend, and the priest as well as both deacons were all serving communion separately in their own "cups." I had not seen this before in any parish, but especially not in a small one. Is this normal or appropriate? I thought the idea of a common cup was theologically significant, but I always imagined multiple chalices at cathedral liturgies, I have just never been to one.

Not usually done within the Liturgy, but I do know one of the traditional roles of the Deacon is to distribute communion to the sick. Today this is usually done by Priests, at least here in the United States. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it because the deacon does distribute it to those who couldn't make it to Liturgy.

Also, the practice of multiple chalices is normative in larger parishes. Usually each chalice is pre-prepared with water & wine, and then a little bit from the main chalice is poured into the others, consecrating the entirety of the others. This would then be taken out for communion, usually by two Priest, or a Priest & a Bishop.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »

If I may give an OO/Coptic Perspective:

Full Deacons (I.e. real Deacons, not wannabe altar-servers who are mislabelled Deacons) may administer the precious blood, but not the body of the Lord (the body and blood are served separately in the Coptic tradition). Full Deacons in the Coptic Church are rare in modern times, however.

Are you sure about this? Always the celebrant distributes the body and the concelebrant the Blood, so obviously the deacon will never be the celebrant and will never distribute the Body in the Liturgy... But they will carry the Body and Blood to the sick. It is not that they are only allowed to do one or the other, it is just a matter of order. What would happen if there was one priest and three deacons? If there are four priests, two will give the Body and two the Blood. If there were a priest and three deacons would only the priest give the Body and only one deacon assist with the Blood? Or would a deacon give the Body? Of course the odds of there being more than one deacon ever are extremely slim...
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: