Author Topic: The Visible and Invisible Church  (Read 749 times)

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
The Visible and Invisible Church
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »
Inasmuch as the earthly and visible Church is not the fullness and completeness of the whole Church which the Lord has appointed to appear at the final judgment of all creation, she acts and knows only within her own limits; and (according to the words of St. Paul the Apostle, to the Corinthians, I Cor. 5:12) does not judge the rest of mankind, and only looks upon those as excluded, that is to say, not belonging to her, who exclude themselves. The rest of mankind, whether alien from the Church, or united to her by ties which God has not willed to reveal to her, she leaves to the judgment of the great day.

I'm curious about what people think of this quote, specifically the part about people being united to the Church in some unknown way. Is this orthodox belief or no?
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: The Visible and Invisible Church
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
Inasmuch as the earthly and visible Church is not the fullness and completeness of the whole Church which the Lord has appointed to appear at the final judgment of all creation, she acts and knows only within her own limits; and (according to the words of St. Paul the Apostle, to the Corinthians, I Cor. 5:12) does not judge the rest of mankind, and only looks upon those as excluded, that is to say, not belonging to her, who exclude themselves. The rest of mankind, whether alien from the Church, or united to her by ties which God has not willed to reveal to her, she leaves to the judgment of the great day.

I'm curious about what people think of this quote, specifically the part about people being united to the Church in some unknown way. Is this orthodox belief or no?
Who uttered this quote?
Not all who wander are lost.

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
Who uttered this quote?

I was hoping to get some thoughts on it before anyone knew who said it, but fwiw it was Alexei Khomiakov, in his work The Church is One.
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
Who uttered this quote?

I was hoping to get some thoughts on it before anyone knew who said it, but fwiw it was Alexei Khomiakov, in his work The Church is One.
I guess I was just looking for context, since I hate analyzing such quotes apart from the context of the larger works wherein they were written/spoken.
Not all who wander are lost.

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »
Who uttered this quote?

I guess I was just looking for context, since I hate analyzing such quotes apart from the context of the larger works wherein they were written/spoken.

A sensible practice  :) (they need a thumbs up emoticon here). Fwiw, the work is available online. The quote is taken from the section titled "The Visible and Invisible Church".