OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:56:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Visible and Invisible Church  (Read 720 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 22, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »

Inasmuch as the earthly and visible Church is not the fullness and completeness of the whole Church which the Lord has appointed to appear at the final judgment of all creation, she acts and knows only within her own limits; and (according to the words of St. Paul the Apostle, to the Corinthians, I Cor. 5:12) does not judge the rest of mankind, and only looks upon those as excluded, that is to say, not belonging to her, who exclude themselves. The rest of mankind, whether alien from the Church, or united to her by ties which God has not willed to reveal to her, she leaves to the judgment of the great day.

I'm curious about what people think of this quote, specifically the part about people being united to the Church in some unknown way. Is this orthodox belief or no?

Large Marge sent me...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »

Inasmuch as the earthly and visible Church is not the fullness and completeness of the whole Church which the Lord has appointed to appear at the final judgment of all creation, she acts and knows only within her own limits; and (according to the words of St. Paul the Apostle, to the Corinthians, I Cor. 5:12) does not judge the rest of mankind, and only looks upon those as excluded, that is to say, not belonging to her, who exclude themselves. The rest of mankind, whether alien from the Church, or united to her by ties which God has not willed to reveal to her, she leaves to the judgment of the great day.

I'm curious about what people think of this quote, specifically the part about people being united to the Church in some unknown way. Is this orthodox belief or no?
Who uttered this quote?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »

Who uttered this quote?

I was hoping to get some thoughts on it before anyone knew who said it, but fwiw it was Alexei Khomiakov, in his work The Church is One.

Large Marge sent me...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »

Who uttered this quote?

I was hoping to get some thoughts on it before anyone knew who said it, but fwiw it was Alexei Khomiakov, in his work The Church is One.
I guess I was just looking for context, since I hate analyzing such quotes apart from the context of the larger works wherein they were written/spoken.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

Who uttered this quote?

I guess I was just looking for context, since I hate analyzing such quotes apart from the context of the larger works wherein they were written/spoken.

A sensible practice  Smiley (they need a thumbs up emoticon here). Fwiw, the work is available online. The quote is taken from the section titled "The Visible and Invisible Church".

Large Marge sent me...
Tags: the Church ecclesiology 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: