Author Topic: the Early Fathers  (Read 1598 times)

Offline The Caffeinator

• Elder
the Early Fathers
« on: January 16, 2004, 02:53:26 PM »
Do EOx and OOx look to the Early Fathers as a source of dogma? Are certain Fathers given more credence than others?

I would say the RC Church looks to the Early Fathers for dogma, with the understanding that they are not an infallible source of dogma...the Church interprets the Fathers to determine what belongs to the deposit of faith, and what does not.

Offline Father Peter

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re:the Early Fathers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 03:48:11 PM »
Hiya Caffeinator

As far as the OOx, yes and yes. But of course the Fathers are not to be interpreted apart from the Church.

Of course many of the Fathers are common to all of our Churches and of course even the later EOx Fathers are not ignored by modern OOx writers.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline The Caffeinator

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 06:21:10 PM »
Which Church Fathers are given more credence in EOxy and OOxy? I'm starting to think that schism could have largely been avoided if we all simply minded the same Fathers. :)

Offline Father Peter

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 06:31:04 PM »
Hiya Caffeinator

Well not really. In the controversial period both sides considered that they were being faithful to St Cyril for instance, but through the real presence of some heretics and the misunderstandings which abounded and the persecution of the OOx by the Imperial powers the difference of opinion hardened into a walling off from heresy.

What is different now is that Christology is much clearer after the latter councils than it was after Chalcedon. The 5th council excludes those who hid their heretical opinions behind Chalcedon and were the cause of much of the OOx distrust.

What is different now is that I am unlikely to be exiled or martyred for my opinions.

What is different now is that it doesn't take 6 months to get a copy of a doctrinal letter, but I can reply to people immediately to get clarification of points. I can email any number of my bishops, or any bishops and hope to receive a response. I am not trying to preserve the Empire for the OOx, nor is there an Empire left for the EOx to fight for. We have space to meet and hear what each other really believes.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington