OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:20:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of the following best describes your religious background prior to becoming Orthodox?
Raised Protestant - 38 (46.9%)
Raised Roman Catholic - 17 (21%)
Raised in an non-Christian religion - 0 (0%)
Raised Protestant but had converted to Roman Catholicism - 2 (2.5%)
Raised Roman Catholic but had converted to Protestantism - 3 (3.7%)
Raised Protestant but had converted to a non-Christian religion - 2 (2.5%)
Raised Catholic but had converted to a non-Christian religion - 1 (1.2%)
Raised in a non-Christian religion but had converted to Protestantism - 2 (2.5%)
Raised in a non-Christian religion but had converted to Roman Catholicism - 0 (0%)
Raised Protestant but had become atheist/agnostic - 2 (2.5%)
Raised Roman Catholic but had become atheist/agnostic - 1 (1.2%)
Raised in an non-Christian religion but had become atheist/agnostic - 0 (0%)
Raised atheist/agnostic but had converted to Protestantism - 2 (2.5%)
Raised atheist/agnostic but had converted to Roman Catholicism - 1 (1.2%)
Raised atheist/agnostic but had converted to a non-Christian religion - 2 (2.5%)
Raised atheist/agnostic - 1 (1.2%)
Mormon - 1 (1.2%)
Serial religion-hopper/too many conversions, deconversions, and reversions to mention - 0 (0%)
Other - 6 (7.4%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What were you before you became Orthodox?  (Read 4917 times) Average Rating: 0
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »

I was a Roman (Latin) Catholic for more than four decades. I became a Byzantine Catholic (six years) and progressed on to Holy Orthodoxy.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

Well, I'm not actually Orthodox sacramentally, so I can't really vote in the poll, but I'm currently being raised in a strict Southern Baptist home (as one would expect from a PK). I've never really been completely satisfied with what the church teaches, and I've been convinced of the reality of Apostolic Succession and the ministerial priesthood since I was about 10 or so. I became interested in Anglicanism, but seeing current trends made me decidedly weary, and the "continuing" groups seemed to be branching further away from the trunk (as I saw it at the time; I'm not advocating branch theory or any similar heresy), so, wearily, I looked to what seemed to be the trunk: Catholicism. The idea that the same church Christ founded existed today, and that Christianity was not some vague continuation of ideas, resonated well with me, but some of the apparent doctrines of that church didn't, most notably the idea of purgatory. I tried to justify it in my mind, but to no avail. At this point, I was also a strongly convicted pacifist, and I was reading this little gem when Orthodoxy first caught my eye:
Quote from: Wikipedia
The Greek Orthodox Church also tends towards pacifism, though it has accepted defensive warfare through most of its history. However, more recently it took a strong stance towards the war in Lebanon and its large community there refused to take up arms during its civil wars. It also supports dialogue with Islam. In 1998 the Third Pre-conciliar Pan-Orthodox Conference drew up a text on ‘the contribution of the Orthodox Church to the achievement of peace’ emphasizing respect for the human person and the inseparability of peace from justice. The text states in part: “Orthodoxy condemns war in general, for she regards it as a consequence of the evil and sin in the world.”
  For the most part, I assumed, with the majority of my fellow evangelicals, that Orthodox belief was identical to Catholics, but with cooler hats and a Patriarch instead of a Pope. After reading this, my curiosity was sparked, and the more I began to study Orthodox theology, the more I began to love it. The deciding moment for me was reading Kalimaros' "The River of Fire." It was when I realized that God's love was genuinely universal, not somehow conflicting with a twisted sense of "holiness," as I had been taught, is perhaps what continues to draw me to Orthodoxy the most.  I have only attended two liturgies in my life, once at the wedding of a family friend, and another time when visiting my sister in Memphis who's decidedly more lenient, but I'm absolutely convinced of the truth of the teachings of Orthodox church, and plan to attend more in the future. In the meantime, my parents insist I go with them to their church, even after I get my Driver's License in six months, and both parishes in my area have service times that conflict with it. It's going to be a long 2.5 years until I turn 18, but I hope to make it out stronger, and ideally better appreciating both Orthodoxy as I work towards Chrismation and Protestantism as I recognize the ways God has worked through some of the evangelicals in my background. I recognize that this post might not be completely within the scope of the thread, but it seemed like as good a place as any to put it.

Welcome to the forum!

I would encourage you to contact one of the priest's at a parish near you. Although you cannot attend Liturgy at present, it may be good for you to have someone whom you can ask questions, can guide you in your readings, and can help you deal with your parents.

Just because you can't attend Liturgy doesn't mean you can't have a Spiritual Father! Smiley
I have done so with a local priest (whose blog you can read here, if you're interested. I've always found it interesting and edifying.) and I subscribe to his parish's newsletter. I have to say that it's been incredibly helpful. It must be great to be able to speak to priests face-to-face on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:39:28 PM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
trifon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 02:43:19 AM »

Was raised Roman Catholic but fell away from Catholicism, and indeed from religion until my early twenties when I 'rediscovered' Catholicism but came to the conclusion that I could not force adherence and belief.  Wrestled with this for three years while simultaneously experiencing Orthodoxy, which then lead me home :-)
chatelaa

Faith: Orthodox Christian (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia)

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »

Was raised Roman Catholic but fell away from Catholicism, and indeed from religion until my early twenties when I 'rediscovered' Catholicism but came to the conclusion that I could not force adherence and belief.  Wrestled with this for three years while simultaneously experiencing Orthodoxy, which then lead me home :-)

Was raised Roman Catholic in the 1950's but also fell away from the Church when it became trite and shallow (1960's).  Practiced Tibetan Buddhism, especially the Concentration and Meditation techniques, which I needed; after 30+ years of this, while in deep meditation, I kept hearing the Prayer of the Heart and I knew I was about to be guided: sure enough, by chance I found the Russian Orthodox Church and at last I was 'home'.  I couldn't be happier
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: