OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Researching Orthdox  (Read 1152 times) Average Rating: 0
OnAQuest

« on: April 24, 2010, 03:08:37 AM »

I've recently started looking into the Orthodox church and was wondering how best to go about it?

I was baptized in the Roman Catholic church but my family fell away from attending Mass. I went through the common stage of questioning it all. I even studied Witta. However, I still found myself attending Midnight Mass and Easter mass. I have issues with some of the practices/teachings/behaviors of the RCC but I still feel the presence of God more at a Mass than any Protestant Service I have attended. Finally, I found beliefnet.com and the Belief-o-matic; a quiz on what religion are you. My beliefs lined up 100% with Eastern Orthodox.

I've read up some online and want to know more. Should I just attend a service. However, which one should I attend? There are three churches, each 20 miles from my town; one Coptic, one Antiochian, and one Greek Orthodox. Then there is a Romanian one 28mi away. How do I decide which one to attend? Should I just visit each one and decide which I like best? If so, which service is the best to attend for a complete newbie? Sunday or a weekday?  I know that much depends on the service leader as well. Should I contact the Fathers first? How can I navigate this spiritual quest? How and where do I find a "guide"? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:28:48 AM »

I've recently started looking into the Orthodox church and was wondering how best to go about it?

I was baptized in the Roman Catholic church but my family fell away from attending Mass. I went through the common stage of questioning it all. I even studied Witta. However, I still found myself attending Midnight Mass and Easter mass. I have issues with some of the practices/teachings/behaviors of the RCC but I still feel the presence of God more at a Mass than any Protestant Service I have attended. Finally, I found beliefnet.com and the Belief-o-matic; a quiz on what religion are you. My beliefs lined up 100% with Eastern Orthodox.

I've read up some online and want to know more. Should I just attend a service. However, which one should I attend? There are three churches, each 20 miles from my town; one Coptic, one Antiochian, and one Greek Orthodox. Then there is a Romanian one 28mi away. How do I decide which one to attend? Should I just visit each one and decide which I like best? If so, which service is the best to attend for a complete newbie? Sunday or a weekday?  I know that much depends on the service leader as well. Should I contact the Fathers first? How can I navigate this spiritual quest? How and where do I find a "guide"? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

You might want to call first and find out which ones have English liturgies.  All four may have them, but you need to be sure before going.  Sometimes if a church has a congregation of recent immigrants, the liturgies will be in the old language and that may make it difficult for you.

Another thing to be aware of is that the Coptic Church is Oriental Orthodox (my Church) whereas the Greek, Antiochian, and Romanian are Eastern Orthodox.  The difference has to do with disputes that took place well over a thousand years ago.  We are friendly with each other now, but not in communion.  I'm not saying this to discourage you from trying out one or the other churches.  I'm just giving you a "heads-up."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:30:03 AM by Salpy » Logged

Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »

My only question is, how sincere could you of been in those other studies if you spell it "Witta", when it is "Wicca".

Not only that, but you let a quiz tell you what faith you should be!

In any case, i'm not suggesting that you *DO NOT* look at the Orthodox Church, but this belief thing is not a rat race. You need to be sure of your commitments.

Welcome to OC, and I DO hope Orthodoxy works for you.

PS> The best bet is to e-mail me a priest. He actually suggested I go to 6 pm Vesters, and talk to him then.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

My only question is, how sincere could you of been in those other studies if you spell it "Witta", when it is "Wicca".

Maybe only the Irish know this but Witta is a modern Celtic system of Wicca so it is a legitimate word. laugh
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »

I've read up some online and want to know more. Should I just attend a service. However, which one should I attend? There are three churches, each 20 miles from my town; one Coptic, one Antiochian, and one Greek Orthodox. Then there is a Romanian one 28mi away. How do I decide which one to attend? Should I just visit each one and decide which I like best? If so, which service is the best to attend for a complete newbie? Sunday or a weekday?  I know that much depends on the service leader as well. Should I contact the Fathers first? How can I navigate this spiritual quest? How and where do I find a "guide"? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

My first experience at an Orthodox service was Great Vespers on Saturday night.  I was, for the first time, totally immersed in a living prayer from the church.  I never went anywhere else after that.

Orthodoxy is experience of God.  I do invite you to talk with a priest beforehand at any of the churches you mentioned that are near you, but you may simply want to "show up" for a service other than the Liturgy.  For me, I think that the Vespers service did more for me than researching Orthodoxy in advance or talking to any priest did.  Of course, such varies from person to person.  Call the churches or visit their websites and see what they offer.  My only reason for suggesting you not go to a Liturgy is that the Liturgy is hte culmination of everything Christ has done for His Church so I'd ease into it.  Don't get me wrong, the Liturgy is a very, very beautiful thing.

Good luck to you with your quest and, again, welcome.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

My first experience at an Orthodox service was Great Vespers on Saturday night.  I was, for the first time, totally immersed in a living prayer from the church.  I never went anywhere else after that.

Orthodoxy is experience of God.  I do invite you to talk with a priest beforehand at any of the churches you mentioned that are near you, but you may simply want to "show up" for a service other than the Liturgy.  For me, I think that the Vespers service did more for me than researching Orthodoxy in advance or talking to any priest did.  Of course, such varies from person to person.  Call the churches or visit their websites and see what they offer.  My only reason for suggesting you not go to a Liturgy is that the Liturgy is hte culmination of everything Christ has done for His Church so I'd ease into it.  Don't get me wrong, the Liturgy is a very, very beautiful thing.

Good luck to you with your quest and, again, welcome.

I would suggest you attend the Antiochian Church which will probably serve in English.

Orthodox

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »

Maybe only the Irish know this but Witta is a modern Celtic system of Wicca so it is a legitimate word. laugh
My bad then Tongue

I just know many Wicca's that only want anything to do with Gardner, in retaliation to the Fluffies.
OnAQuest

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »

Not only that, but you let a quiz tell you what faith you should be!

Roll Eyes  The quiz doesn't really tell you what faith you should be.  Smiley  It asks you your beliefs and shows how they align with what religion. It doesn't just spit out an answer "You should be/are Orthodox". Instead, it gives you a list of percentages; like, 100% Eastern Orthodox  98% Roman Catholic  93% SDA  etc.  It's really kind of fun. I debated over mentioning it at all but I thought my results were interesting.  Here is a silly internet quiz and it has found something that seems to reconcile all of the issues I have with the Catholic Church without stripping away all of the things that help me feel closer to God.  Which is what the quest is really about, a closer relationship with God.

Thanks everybody for the advice. It's all useful and welcome.

This has nothing to do with anything but...
Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous
Ha!  laugh
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:27:57 PM by OnAQuest » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »

Ha!  laugh

It's so true.   Tongue

Again, welcome to the forum.  Feel free to ask questions and to contribute to our discussions.   Smiley

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »

My experience with that Belief-o-matic quiz, is that if you get 100% Eastern Orthodox, you also get 100% Roman Catholic.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »

Yeah, "Witta" is a legitimate "word", but is it an Irish word?

The founder of Witta, Edain McCoy, writes in her book:

"Because they grew underground potatoes were sacred to the Goddess and used in female
fertility rites." (p. 82)

Now, I don't know about fertility rites, but I'm pretty sure that the potato was not even known in pagan Ireland, let alone that the potato was sacred to a pagan Celtic Goddess.  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:36:08 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »

Right.  Potatoes were not known in the Old World till after the Spanish Conquistadores brought some home from Peru in the 16th century.  Thereafter, the potato became a major crop from Ireland to the Urals.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »

Now, I don't know about fertility rites, but I'm pretty sure that the potato was not even known in pagan Ireland, let alone that the potato was sacred to a pagan Celtic Goddess.

Classic!
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

Welcome to the forum! I'd recommend the Greek or Antiochian "Eastern" Orthodox Churches, but then again I'm not with the Orientals (Copts). You should be aware that they are different types of Christianity, although both equally ancient. They have different understandings of Christ's humanity and divinity.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:50:08 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: