OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:17:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best "tear jerker" films  (Read 5333 times) Average Rating: 0
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« on: April 20, 2010, 06:20:41 AM »

I usually avoid watching these kinds of films and prefer to reach for the comedies when I do DVD night, but there are some soppy movies that just need to be seen. Here are my recommendations for a good cry, which I think is healthy every once in a while. In random order:

The Green Mile
The Notebook
Beaches / Forever Friends
Pay it Forward
Marley & Me
Titanic
Steel Magnolias
Message in a Bottle
Love Story
7 Pounds
Life is Beautiful
Schindler's List
Eight Below
Ghost

And my all time favorite - Hachiko: A Dog's Story (Hollywood remake), 2009 / Hachiko Monogatari (Japanese Original), 1987. I haven't seen the Japanese original, and I'm trying to find a version with English subtitles, but I can't say much about the Hollywood remake which stars Richard Gere without getting choked up. This movie, which is based on a true story, is absolutely devastating. I've always been a dog lover but this movie gave me a new respect for dogs, I had no idea just how deep a dog's love and loyalty for his/her master can be until I saw this film. The last scene where Parker's wife finds an old, dirty and weak Hatchi still waiting for him to return at the station 10 years after his death just kills me. If you haven't seen this movie (either version) yet, please see it, preferably with your family and pets, and make sure you're armed with plenty of tissues. It's one of those films that you'll never forget. Here's a beautiful tribute to this amazing dog with scenes from the Japanese original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3s11acb7Z8.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:16:40 AM »

I always cry when I watch Ben Hur!

..I've also been known to cry over Hallmark commercials!   Grin

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »

"La Dolce Vita" by Federico Fellini, "The Ice Storm" by Ang Lee, "The Mirror" by Andrei Tarkovsky, "The Unfinished Piece for a Mechanical Piano" by Nikita Mikhalkov, "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" by Serhiy Paradzhanov.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:05:06 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »

I have to preface by saying that pretty much everything makes me cry.

Anything with animals is pretty much a no-no in our house.
Anything based on a Nicholas Sparks novel is also a no-no.  Both are just unnecessary cruel and unusual punishment!  Smiley

Tops on my list is definitely Passion of the Christ.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »

I'm not usually the one to cry, but that scene where the Theotokos runs to Christ as he falls remembering the times of the Christ child when he fell put a tear to my eye in "The Passion of the Christ."

What was the name of that movie (and that famous singer) who had terminal leukemia or something.  Something like the last walk in the aisle, or the last something.  I forget, and too lazy to look for the name, but there was a scene in that movie when son reunites with father; that made my eyes watery a little bit.

mmmmm....and I watched The Notebook because of its popularity.  Didn't make me cry, but rather depressed.

La Vita e Bella...great movie! Didn't make me cry though.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »

"Babette's Feast", a very profound movie, and which, due to my deep understanding of and identification with, its central theme, completely moved me to tears as it came to a close.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »

"Babette's Feast", a very profound movie, and which, due to my deep understanding of and identification with, its central theme, completely moved me to tears as it came to a close.

Oh yeah, definitely made me cry!!!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »

I'm afraid the only one that comes to mind is Schindler's List. It didn't make me cry, but I did get misty eyed. (Please don't tell anyone I admitted that Wink ).
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »

The Lion King.  I don't know why it still makes me cry since I've seen it eleventy billion times, but it's like a Pavlovian response now.

Also, Shadowlands, the romanticised story of C.S. Lewis's life starring Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger.  

Grave of Fireflies, an anime film about two very small children trying to survive after their parents are killed by the nuclear attacks on Japan during the second World War .  

Barefoot Gen, another anime about people trying to survive the nuclear bombs in Hiroshima.  This one is actually an animated memoir by the writer/director whose story is told through the main character, Gen.  Be forewarned, many of the images and themes are graphic and violent.

I'm going to have to stop there or have a meltdown.  Cry
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:20:00 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:12:21 PM »

I have cried once during Theodin's speach to his soldiers right before they ride into the battle before the gates of Minas Tirith in The Return or the King. I know... I know... I'm a dork.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:12:36 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »

Band of Brothers
Smoke Signals (Although it is often labeled a "comedy" it is NOT a comedy)
P.S. I love you (Although admittedly I did watch this movie while pregnant and my husband was deployed, so maybe it wouldn't be a tearjerker now)
Les Miserables
Cyrano de Bergerac
UP (the very beginning montage is just gut wrenching)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (towards the end)
Red Cliff
The Pianist
Hotel Rwanda
Men of Honor
Lawrence of Arabia
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Grapes of Wrath
Amistad
Walk the Line
Leon-The Professional (A very violent movie that is pretty emotionally exhausting. Natalie Portman at her finest in my opinion)

I practice emotional flagellation fairly often Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:46:29 PM by Quinault » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »

The Grapes of Wrath

I cried when I was reading the last 5-6 pages of the book, but the movie is a whole lot weaker as a "tear jerker," it really watered down Steinbeck's tragedy quite a bit.

Love never fails.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »

I am sure you are correct. But the movie itself will always be a tearjerker for our family. Much of my husband's family lived the life outlined in that book. So when we watch it there is more of a personal view I guess.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:51:29 PM by Quinault » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »

I might be the only man alive who cried when I watched Babette's Feast. A great movie!

Here are a few more that immediately come to mind:

Brian's Song
Old Yeller
The Great Santini
Malcolm X
Dances With Wolves

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »

Some movies are so sad and intense that it becomes impossible to cry--not with that stone sitting in the middle of your chest. For me such movies include Passion of the Christ, The Killing Fields, The Road, and Schindler's List.

Other movies are simply tragic but in a good way. For example, the sacrifice of the self for the greater good (Casablanca and the classic good-versus-evil movies, such as the Lord of the Rings); the sacrifice of the self for one's faith (Quo Vadis); and, any dog-loves-man-and-then-dies movie such as Marley and Me.

Finally, some movies elicit cries because of their extraordinary depiction of nobility, goodness, beauty and the human condition. I was affected by movies as diverse as Lawrence of Arabia, Babette's Spring, Manon of the Spring, As Good As It Gets, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Cinema Paradiso, Ben Hur, Dr. Zhivago, It's A Wonderful Life, Gone with the Wind, Ghandi, Patton, 2001: A Space Odyssey, On the Waterfront, The Godfather 1 and II, Gladiator, Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment, many Broadway or Disney musicals, Strictly Ballroom, Amadeus, Kolya, Bridge on River Kwai, and Gold Rush.

When did I have time to do anything else?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:49:20 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »

Here's just a few:

Shawshank Redemption
Passion of the Christ

Gran Turino (can't help this one)
Ben-Hur
Barabbas
The Robe
The Ice Storm
Field of Dreams
Schindler's List
The Two Towers
(not the other two; especially for Sam's words at the end that there is still some good in this world and that it is worth fighting for)
The Man Without a Face
We Were Soldiers
Dances with Wolves

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »

Not really something that causes tears, but the beginning of Saving Private Ryan always makes me very sad.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »

Cheesy Really? Dances with Wolves? I seriously thought that was a comedy. laugh
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:05:31 PM by Quinault » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »

^Not even funny, dude.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »

Not really something that causes tears, but the beginning of Saving Private Ryan always makes me very sad.

Great movie!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »

^Not even funny, dude.

"Positive" stereotypes are still stereotypes, and thus offensive. Many American Indians such as myself found the movie offensive and hilarious. I was trying to make light, not to be offensive to those of you that like the movie.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:04:09 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »

What was the name of that movie (and that famous singer) who had terminal leukemia or something.  Something like the last walk in the aisle, or the last something.  I forget, and too lazy to look for the name, but there was a scene in that movie when son reunites with father; that made my eyes watery a little bit.

mmmmm....and I watched The Notebook because of its popularity.  Didn't make me cry, but rather depressed.

A Walk to Remember?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »

^Not even funny, dude.

"Positive" stereotypes are still stereotypes, and thus offensive. Many American Indians such as myself found the movie offensive and hilarious. I was trying to make light, not to be offensive to those of you that like the movie.

I didn't view the movie as an authentic documentary on Native Americans. What moved me was the theme of humanity and friendship that transcends cultural boundaries. I also thought the movie was balanced in that it portrayed good and evil amongst Native Americans and White Americans. Many good themes were well developed, such as honor, good and evil, prejudice, racism, justice, and loyalty. Just watch it as a movie instead of a historical documentary. But of course I can certainly understand if you found it offensive as a Native American.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »

I have watched the film. I don't wish to do so again....ever.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »

Tear jerkers?  Generation X Arabs spent their entire childhood imbibing mature (for children at any rate) Japanese anime, either tragic or with strong chords of sadness and pain (we would even add to that mix, replacing the cute kawaii Japanese openings with typical Middle Eastern melancholic melodies).  It truly explains why we have come to be such utterly dysfunctional wrecks, being fed stories of orphans and suffering and God knows what also.   laugh

EofK, you might fancy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AofswJI088

Mina, if you're the right age you probably remember somewhere in the deepest, longest-neglected recesses of your memory the musically charged scenes where Peter's blind grandmother and Heidi's grandfather break down in shock once the girl is snatched away to Frankfurt.

We also watched Syrian dramas (NOT in the style of Latin soap operas that your grandmother probably watches) and with music like this, you can get an idea of the tone things could take.  In the case of this one, long story short, the fiery spirited protagonist having lost both his legs, at the end and on his wheelchair drops off the cliff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBmAHH5_h0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:19:44 AM by SamB » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »

A Walk to Remember?

YES...that's the name.

I knew it had something to do with walk in it (down the aisle of course).

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:18 AM »

I have cried once during Theodin's speach to his soldiers right before they ride into the battle before the gates of Minas Tirith in The Return or the King. I know... I know... I'm a dork.
From the same movie, I always choke up when I see Barad-dûr come crashing down and the Eye of Sauron extinguished.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:46:23 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »

Tear jerkers?  Generation X Arabs spent their entire childhood imbibing mature (for children at any rate) Japanese anime, either tragic or with strong chords of sadness and pain (we would even add to that mix, replacing the cute kawaii Japanese openings with typical Middle Eastern melancholic melodies).  It truly explains why we have come to be such utterly dysfunctional wrecks, being fed stories of orphans and suffering and God knows what also.   laugh

EofK, you might fancy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AofswJI088

Mina, if you're the right age you probably remember somewhere in the deepest, longest-neglected recesses of your memory the musically charged scenes where Peter's blind grandmother and Heidi's grandfather break down in shock once the girl is snatched away to Frankfurt.

We also watched Syrian dramas (NOT in the style of Latin soap operas that your grandmother probably watches) and with music like this, you can get an idea of the tone things could take.  In the case of this one, long story short, the fiery spirited protagonist having lost both his legs, at the end and on his wheelchair drops off the cliff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBmAHH5_h0

No, Don't know that one Sam.

There's some sad Egyptian soaps out there, but for me personally not even worth the watch.  I think a lot of them are real low-quality acting, even though they're crazy famous in the Arab world.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

From the same movie, I always choke up when I see the Barad-dûr come crashing down and Sauron's eye extinguished.

I cried when my precious was gone... Tongue

SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »

No, Don't know that one Sam.

There's some sad Egyptian soaps out there, but for me personally not even worth the watch.  I think a lot of them are real low-quality acting, even though they're crazy famous in the Arab world.

Wasn't one to watch the Egyptian productions (the one time I did was when there was a twist with the Sa`idi accent in the lead role and a connexion to the Copts in Khaalati Safiy'yah wad-Dayr), but as for the Syrian ones, a general waste of time today.  The Syrians seem generally to excel in one thing: the musical openings and intros.  The productions I am referring to are ones from decades ago.  The likes of Ayman Zaidaan and Rafeeq Sbee`i brought acting calibre that is lacking in the newer crop (though the former is not suited for historical roles: I winced seeing him play Holagu), but the dramas in question are also ones we grew up with as children, and so our perceptions were quite different.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:07:31 AM by SamB » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 01:30:21 AM »

I've never been one to cry over movies, but there have been a few books that have pushed me over the edge.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:51 AM »

Remains of the Day:  This is a great movie, and it always chokes me up at the end. Anthony Hopkins can work it man!

Selam
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:41:16 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »

Remains of the Day:  This is a great movie, and it always chokes me up at the end. Anthony Hopkins can work it man!

Selam

Legends of the Fall, I watched it only because it had Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins in it.  I can imagine some people crying over that one.  That movie depressed me man.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:15:09 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 03:11:15 PM »

A lot of WWII movies are tear-jerkers for me, for some reason:

Grave of the Fireflies (two kids trying to survive in bombed-out Tokyo)
The Thin Red Line (US marines on Guadalcanal)
The Harp of Burma (Japanese soldiers at the end of the war, trying to find their comrade who's become a monk)
Das Boot (The classic submarine movie. Grim stuff)

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

Passion of the Christ and Conspiracy of Hearts.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »

Cheesy Really? Dances with Wolves? I seriously thought that was a comedy. laugh

Agree. A cheap one, too. IMHO. Smiley

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »

Some movies are so sad and intense that it becomes impossible to cry--not with that stone sitting in the middle of your chest. For me such movies include Passion of the Christ, The Killing Fields, The Road, and Schindler's List.

Very possible to not cry (except "The Killing fields" and "The Road" that I haven't seen). "Passion of the Christ," IMHO, is pure Hollywood, and so is "Schindler's List." Beating you on your emotions without any penetration into the essence of what is shown. "Schtellel." Sad

Other movies are simply tragic but in a good way. For example, the sacrifice of the self for the greater good (Casablanca

I am not against "Casablanca," but...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069097/

Don't you rather cry when you see this..?

I mean, guys, the time, the time moves, goes on...

Woody Allen is a genious, and you, Americans, do not even know him?

Or is it that he leaves you untouched?

Political commentary removed (since I can't see moving this whole post to Politics)  -PtA

Heorhij, you know better than to post politics on the public boards.  This warning will therefore last for three weeks.  If you think this action wrong, please feel free to appeal it via PM to either Fr. George or Veniamin.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:56:56 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Love never fails.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 10:41:56 PM »

I cried at two points in the movie Gettysburg.  When General Pickett told General Lee that he had no division, and when General Lee told his men that the defeat was his fault, and they refused to believe him.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »

I forgot one, called God on Trial, which made me tear up at the end. It is about a group of Jews at Auschwitz who essentially put God on trial for "breaking the contract" that he had made with the Jewish people.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »

Men only "tear up" while recalling acts of bravery in battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9_ELpil9w&feature=related

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 12:29:41 AM »

That certainly explains one of the reasons I tear up when reading or watching the fall of Barad-dûr.  The other reason is that this reminds me so vividly of Christ's destruction of Hades on the first Holy Saturday (a connection I think Tolkien fully intended).
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 12:55:02 AM »

"Old Yeller"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Yeller_(1957_film)

Proverbs 22:7
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »

Same Time Next Year.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »

I orignally saw that as a child and years later I bought it on VHS...watched it once and then threw it out.  I can't watch those types of movies.  Another one like Old Yeller is Turner and Hooch, I can't get myself to watch Marley and Me.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »

Oh..and..If you ae forced to watch "The Notebook" more than once, it is grounds for divorce.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags: movies 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: