OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:41:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Description of the conditions necessary for a council to be regarded as ecumenic  (Read 13843 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »

/\  Now I am with you.   Grin

You are quoting those points from the Cyprus 2009 document which has never been officially released.  Except that the wonderful journalist Sandro Magister somehow got hold of it and published it
http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1341814?eng=y

For this naughtinees he was rapped over the knuckles by Cardinal Kasper
http://scecclesia.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/sandro-magister-rapped-over-the-knuckles-by-cardinal-kasper/

The document is coming up for consideration again, in September, by the Catholic-Orthodox participants of the International Theological Dialogue.  Even then it won't be officially released since the Orthodox bishops were not at all happy with it and have issued instructions it is not to be approved or published unto they have approved it (or otherwise!)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »

Are there Seven, Eight, Nine or Ten Ecumenical Councils?

The Patriarchal Encyclical of 1895
A Reply to the Papal Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII, on Reunion

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/encyc_1895.aspx

... if only the Bishop of Rome would ...return to the basis of the seven holy Ecumenical Councils..

...there can be no such safe common principle and basis other than the teaching of the Gospel and of the seven holy Ecumenical Councils

So then the one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils

...remaining faithful to the apostolic tradition and the practice of the seven Ecumenical Councils, 'stand fast, contending for the common profession, the

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils, according to the example of our Savior

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils held that the precious gifts

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils, following the Lord's command

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils, walking according to the divinely inspired teaching

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils teaches that

The orthodox Eastern Church then justly glories in Christ as being the Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »

... if only the Bishop of Rome would ...return to the basis of the seven holy Ecumenical Councils..

...there can be no such safe common principle and basis other than the teaching of the Gospel and of the seven holy Ecumenical Councils

So then the one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils

...remaining faithful to the apostolic tradition and the practice of the seven Ecumenical Councils, 'stand fast, contending for the common profession, the

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils, according to the example of our Savior

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils held that the precious gifts

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils, following the Lord's command

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils, walking according to the divinely inspired teaching

The one holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils teaches that

The orthodox Eastern Church then justly glories in Christ as being the Church of the seven Ecumenical Councils

From an outsider's point of view, I am definitely under the opinion that the Eastern Orthodox Churches as a whole recognize 7 ecumenical councils--nothing less and nothing more. As is always the case with anything, some disagree, but the consensus is quite clear.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »

From an outsider's point of view, I am definitely under the opinion that the Eastern Orthodox Churches as a whole recognize 7 ecumenical councils--nothing less and nothing more. As is always the case with anything, some disagree, but the consensus is quite clear.
So, what is it that makes these seven, and none others, ecumenical?
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »

It's hard for me to tell based on the diverse responses from everyone, but here is my opinion in a nutshell. Everyone in the Eastern Orthodox Churches acknowledge these seven councils as ecumenical. Not everyone agrees on anything more than that.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »

I suppose the fact that my bishops say so is enough for me, along with hundreds of other bishops with whom they are in fraternal communion.
Cosmos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »

It's hard for me to tell based on the diverse responses from everyone, but here is my opinion in a nutshell. Everyone in the Eastern Orthodox Churches acknowledge these seven councils as ecumenical. Not everyone agrees on anything more than that.

For more than 1,000 years, all of the Apostolic Sees, including the Roman Latin Church, approved and promulgated the doctrinal theology established by the Seven Ecumenical Councils. Thus, anything else since then is either an addition to (by Roman Catholic) or a subtraction from (by Protestants) what was officially accepted and taught by all of the Apostolic Churches as correct belief and correct practice during the first millennium of the united Church.

That's what makes these councils truly ecumenical. Their documents represent the overwhelming agreement of a united Christian Faith, rather than the isolated theological interpretations of segregated Christian confessions.

Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »

The Holy Spirit has to be present.

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »

For more than 1,000 years, all of the Apostolic Sees, including the Roman Latin Church, approved and promulgated the doctrinal theology established by the Seven Ecumenical Councils.

That is highly debatable.

Thus, anything else since then is either an addition to (by Roman Catholic) or a subtraction from (by Protestants) what was officially accepted and taught by all of the Apostolic Churches as correct belief and correct practice during the first millennium of the united Church.

That's what makes these councils truly ecumenical. Their documents represent the overwhelming agreement of a united Christian Faith, rather than the isolated theological interpretations of segregated Christian confessions.

Cosmos

So you don't recognize the 14th century definitions regarding Hesychasm?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »

The Holy Spirit has to be present.

That would make any council of the Church, even if it be local, an Ecumenical Council.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:34:11 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »

deusveritasest: I know.  I just love it when after pages and pages of arcane and obscure dialectic, someone comes along and posts the most inanely pat response.  I've always wanted to do that.

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »

It's the Feast of the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Councils.

Here is Dionysius the Wise and the Seven Ecumenical Councils

Museum of Dionysius' Frescoes
The Virgin Nativity Cathedral

The First Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/117/307/index.shtml

The Second Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/117/308/index.shtml

The Third Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/117/306/index.shtml

The Fourth Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/124/345/index.shtml

The Fifth Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/124/349/index.shtml

The Sixth Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/118/275/index.shtml

The Seventh Ecumenical Council
http://www.dionisy.com/eng/museum/118/276/index.shtml
Cosmos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »

I know.  I just love it when after pages and pages of arcane and obscure dialectic, someone comes along and posts the most inanely pat response.  I've always wanted to do that.

Yes, well sometimes it seems necessary to state the obvious, IMO. Tongue

Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
Tags: ecumenical councils ecumenism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: