OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 05:41:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Poll
Question: Ancient Faith Radio is...
God's chosen vehicle for spreading the Gospel to America - 2 (2.3%)
A source of inspiration throughout my day - 18 (20.5%)
A good and useful ministry - 38 (43.2%)
Something I find/found helpful as an inquirer into Orthodoxy - 7 (8%)
What's Ancient Faith Radio? - 4 (4.5%)
Something that appeals most to ex-Evangeical Orthoconvert subculture - 13 (14.8%)
Annoying - 1 (1.1%)
Ecumenist Anti-Christ Pan-Heretical Mouth of Sauron - 5 (5.7%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What do you think about Ancient Faith Radio?  (Read 5771 times) Average Rating: 0
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 14, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »

Just curious what people think...

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »

When I used to listen to it periodically, I always enjoyed the music channel thoroughly, but grew tired of the talk channel very quickly.  I found it very geared towards former protestants, and many of the pieces came off as tedious.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »

I like it. They have a huge number of podcasts and so the variety is pretty decent. And the specials are good too! Everyone isn't able to go to a conference and so they do a very good job in letting the rest of us know what's going on.

Christ is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:18:14 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »

I love listening to Fr. Hopko speak, so AFN has my vote! 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »

When I used to listen to it periodically, I always enjoyed the music channel thoroughly, but grew tired of the talk channel very quickly.  I found it very geared towards former protestants, and many of the pieces came off as tedious.

I also enjoy the music much more than the podcasts.  Occasionally, I find a good one... but many are tedious and a few speakers really grate on me.  I usually just stick to the music.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »

I like the music generally and also I enjoy many of the podcasts, but when I listen to the music channel, I can't help but get pissed off when a Protestant-sounding promotional add or spoken-word Scripture reading comes on. I find the way they do the readings to be very jarring and seemingly unOrthodoxish. Does anyone else have this problem?

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Michael L
Priest Michael

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »

I like the music generally and also I enjoy many of the podcasts, but when I listen to the music channel, I can't help but get pissed off when a Protestant-sounding promotional add or spoken-word Scripture reading comes on. I find the way they do the readings to be very jarring and seemingly unOrthodoxish. Does anyone else have this problem?

I wouldn't go as far as saying I get pissed off but I generally feel the same as you. Music channel is great, the podcasts are hit or miss, and there is a protestant feel to it.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »

I think they've moved all the podcasts to a separate station, so you have to opt in to listen to them.

Personally, I think it's nice to be able to tune in and to hear some hymnography throughout the day. I do wish they'd play more chant though (Byzantine or otherwise). I hate the overtly operatic style of some of the Slavic harmony pieces they seem to constantly play.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »

I feel that the Podcasts are generally geared towards ex-Protestant converts, so I avoid listening to them. In regards to the music, I feel that they will play any Orthodox choir that has recorded a CD, regardless of whether it is "radio worthy."

Just because a parish choir has paid to put together a CD in a recording studio doesn't mean they are good.  Wink

Also, I feel that a large amount of the music they play is not in English. Although it can be beautiful, I don't find it edifying.

All in all, I tend not to listen to it that much, and stick with my own collection of CD's.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »

It seems to Roman Catholicish and post-Vatican IIish for my ultra-Orthodox sensibilities.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »

I grew up with the local Christian music/Focus on the Family radio affiliate on all the time...in the car, at home, everywhere...so the concept of AFR is a very comfortable fit for me. I enjoy both the music and the podcasts. Some of the podcasts are overly-Protestant for my taste, but I am a devoted listener to several others.

I did enjoy Focus on the Family's "Radio Theater", maybe AFR could move into something like that. I don't know, would dramatizations of the lives of the saints be in the Orthodox spirit? If we had an Orthodox answer to "Adventures in Odyssey" my life will be complete. Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:47:15 PM by bogdan » Logged
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »

I grew up with the local Christian music/Focus on the Family radio affiliate on all the time...in the car, at home, everywhere...so the concept of AFR is a very comfortable fit for me. I enjoy both the music and the podcasts. Some of the podcasts are overly-Protestant for my taste, but I am a devoted listener to several others.

I did enjoy Focus on the Family's "Radio Theater", maybe AFR could move into something like that. I don't know, would dramatizations of the lives of the saints be in the Orthodox spirit? If we had an Orthodox answer to "Adventures in Odyssey" my life will be complete. Cheesy

Yeah, I always loved Adventures in Odyssey! It would be cool for them to turn some of the kid books that some Orthodox mothers write into a show! That would be cool!

I guess one could do it with a 24 track. But you would have to find the people to do it.....as well as all the sounds that you would have to create.

With modern technology you don't have to be in the same studio anymore......you can do it online over different computers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:56:24 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »

LOL, I'm not sure there is an Orthodox version of Mr. Whittaker!  laugh

Thanks to my Mother, I'm very familiar with Focus on the Family programming. I actually find it interesting that some former FOTF radio personalities are now on AFR.

While I'm not opposed to the mission of AFR, I just wish it wasn't so completely convert focused in their podcasts, and that they played better quality music. I mean it seems like every other podcast is about sharing a conversion story or "looking back as to how silly we were in our Protestant faith, hardy! har! har!"  Roll Eyes Also, with groups such as Cappella Romana, the Boston Byzantine Choir, and the countless choirs and chanters from Russia and Greece, to play poor quality performances is just not acceptable, IMHO.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »

I voted "Ecumenist Anti-Christ Pan-Heretical Mouth of Sauron"

I don't really feel that way about it, but the who "Mouth of Sauron" thing made me laugh. Sorry for the annoyance.  Grin

Anyway, its ok. I never listened to the music because I have plenty of stuff on my computer that I listen to plus stuff I find on youtube. I did enjoy some of its podcasts though such as "A Word from the Holy Fathers" which I thought was a really great podcast since he would get into parts of the patristic texts which I thought was really interesting and helpful. Fr. Dcn. Matthew would take certain sections of the writing and show meaning so one could get a better grasp of what things are being said within the text. I really liked it a lot since it gave somewhat of an introduction to some of the patristic texts. I also listened to some of the other podcasts such as "Postcards from Greece" which was another good one. I did also listen to "The Illumined Heart" and "Our Life in Christ" which I also thought were good but some of it was geared toward former Protestants I feel but not all the time. "Illumined Heart" had some interesting conversion stories and I enjoyed listening to the ones that converted from Islam, Hinduism, and Rastafari.

So, I guess my real vote would be somewhere along the lines of Something that appeals most to ex-Evangeical Orthoconvert subculture which I was not a part of since I was never Protestant. I sometimes thought some of the things had a "Protestant-like" feel in some ways. It wasn't something I really got "inspiration" from (with the exception of "Word from the Holy Fathers" which inspired me to actually get the full writings and get into them more) but most of the stuff I listened to out of interest really.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:26:26 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »

When I used to listen to it periodically, I always enjoyed the music channel thoroughly, but grew tired of the talk channel very quickly.  I found it very geared towards former protestants, and many of the pieces came off as tedious.

What's does an Orthodox promotional add sound like?

Btw, I like the music and the choirs. As for the Cappella Romana et alia, there are problems with copyright which puts limits on what AFR can do.

I vote for the podcasts on conferences etc. which the vast majority of us would never be able to listen to or find out otherwise.

I admit a lot is convert focused, but part of their mission is, well, mission.

In the interest of full disclosure, my parish was the one who started AFR off, and I was a frequent guest of the founder's house from which they started broadcasting.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:28:00 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:20:14 AM »

It seems to Roman Catholicish and post-Vatican IIish for my ultra-Orthodox sensibilities.

Cheesy Always the joker!

AFR gets my vote, but I can definitely agree with those who feel some of the non-music programs are a bit tedious.  I love Fr. Hopko and Dr. Clark Carlton plus a few others.  Regardless though, I feel AFR is a blessing.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »

I've listened to Dr. Clark Carlton's Faith and Philosophy, which is fantastic at times and annoying at others (I don't care about your garden or your cats), and to Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, which for the most part was outstanding.

I've done a few episodes of The Illumined Heart, which struck me as too gushy and dramatic in regards to conversions. "I was crying my eyes out at my first liturgy" et cetera. I don't mean to sound insensitive to peoples' profound experiences, he simply has a lot of content like that and after a while it seems inappropriate.

I was going to check out a Podcast about life in Greece next called Postcards from Greece. I don't see how that can be "too Protestant" or whatever everyone is whining about. After all, Christ Himself was a Greek Orthodox!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:32:46 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:25 AM »

I don't listen to it, but it is sort of amusing when you'd have a twenty something year old giving out spiritual advice with largesse . I've heard that one of the very few times I listened to it.
Plus, it's so full of overly sweet "pious talk" that I can't stand.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:40:26 AM by augustin717 » Logged
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:08:52 AM »

Excellent. I have 50 of their podcasts ("A word from the holy fathers"). AHA!!! bet you guys thought I don't listen or care about anything you have to say right? -Wrong  Wink

Interesting that you are associated with AFR Isa. Now I will enjoy the podcast more.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:29:34 AM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 01:26:14 AM »

In the interest of full disclosure, my parish was the one who started AFR off, and I was a frequent guest of the founder's house from which they started broadcasting.

I think that's something of which to be proud. It seems to me that on the whole, Ancient Faith Radio has done a lot of good (even if it does have its problems, also). On a personal level, I believe it was helpful to me when I was an inquirer, especially programs like OLIC. The AFR home-church is All Saints, right? Incidentally, one of the things I like on AFR is Father Patrick Reardon, and I really like his book Christ in the Psalms.

I'm not convinced there is such a thing as an Orthodox promotional ad*. That's why I don't like the ads on AFR.

*correcting my original spelling error.

I voted "Ecumenist Anti-Christ Pan-Heretical Mouth of Sauron"

I'm glad at least one person picked Mouth of Sauron!

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31:07 AM »

I was going to check out a Podcast about life in Greece next called Postcards from Greece. I don't see how that can be "too Protestant" or whatever everyone is whining about. After all, Christ Himself was a Greek Orthodox!

Although I don't think anyone would likely accuse the host of PFG, Fr. Peter, of being "too Protestant," he is an American convert, in fact!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:01 AM »

I like it very much. I was able to get my wife to sit down and listen to a very good critique of the Rapture (she has read all of the Left Behind series.) I don't remember the lady's name, but her presentation was very concise and "biblical." My wife was very persueded her arguments. Smiley

BTW, speaking of Protestant radio programs, does anyone remember "Unshackled"? Man, I loved listening to that show! I wouldn't recommend it now, but I still have respect for that program. That organ music always tripped me out!

Selam
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:47:56 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »

I often enjoy having the music channel playing quietly. Some pleases me esthetically and some doesn't. That we will hear more English language music and more "professional quality" music is likely as they become more available - there just isn't that much out on the market. If you disagree, then I'm sure AFR would like to know!

I choose the podcasts much as I would choose reading a magazine, watching a TV show, or even reading and responding to threads on this forum. I find some of interest, certainly not all. I think it's good that there is a "Protestant feel" to much of it. AFR can be recommended to our non-Orthodox family and friends as an introduction to our faith. Perhaps someone can describe a "purely Orthodox, definitely not Protestant-type podcast". Then the challenge will be to produce it.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

I often listen to AFR at work.  I have it playing quietly in the background.

As was mentioned, some of the musical pieces grate on the nerves, rather than sooth, however, for the most part I find it very nice.
Honestly, I don't mind if it's not in English.  I like hearing the various languages.  It reminds me that Orthodoxy is global and how lucky are we to have so many of us worshiping the Lord!

I think its a plus that we, Orthodox, have such an avenue of ministry.  It's truly a blessing!  You can't make everyone happy all the time...so, just do the best you can, with what you have!  I think the Web is better for having AFR available through it.

Geared towards Protestants or not...it's better to listen to AFR than some crazy, trashy, secular tunes!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »

No opinion. Just never really listened to it. I listen to radio only when driving long distance, and it is always tuned to the National Public Radio in my car. I never listen to other stations. Generally, I am not a radio person, I prefer to read when I need to learn something.

Love never fails.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

I like the music they play as well as the occasional snippets from saints' writings, though some of the voices can be annoying at times.  As far as the talk programs, I only listen to Fr. Thomas Hopko.  The others (especially Kh. Matthewes-Green) are generally boring and not intellecutally stimulating.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

Ancient Faith Radio is... unfamiliar to me. I watched a few things on Orthodox.tv years and years ago, does that count?  Smiley
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

The others (especially Kh. Matthewes-Green) are generally boring and not intellecutally stimulating.

You don't find Fr. Frederica intellectually stimulating?

Hamartolos
Elder

St. Gregory the Theologian, intercede for my soul.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »

Ancient Faith Radio is fantastic!  It's great to hear the various styles of chant, not to mention the great pod casts that have been very educational.

Formerly known as "mctaviix"
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »

I've listened to Dr. Clark Carlton's Faith and Philosophy, which is fantastic at times and annoying at others (I don't care about your garden or your cats), and to Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, which for the most part was outstanding.

I've done a few episodes of The Illumined Heart, which struck me as too gushy and dramatic in regards to conversions. "I was crying my eyes out at my first liturgy" et cetera. I don't mean to sound insensitive to peoples' profound experiences, he simply has a lot of content like that and after a while it seems inappropriate.

I cried my eyes out at my first Liturgy too. But I was only a few weeks old and collicky.  Tongue  Cheesy

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »

I often listen to AFR at work.  I have it playing quietly in the background.

As was mentioned, some of the musical pieces grate on the nerves, rather than sooth, however, for the most part I find it very nice.
Honestly, I don't mind if it's not in English.  I like hearing the various languages.  It reminds me that Orthodoxy is global and how lucky are we to have so many of us worshiping the Lord!

I think its a plus that we, Orthodox, have such an avenue of ministry.  It's truly a blessing!  You can't make everyone happy all the time...so, just do the best you can, with what you have!  I think the Web is better for having AFR available through it.

Geared towards Protestants or not...it's better to listen to AFR than some crazy, trashy, secular tunes!

Agreed!

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »

I find that the constant begging for money they've added in the the last year or two  DOES get very annoying.  It seems like it wasn't nearly as often when I first started listening.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 07:01:51 PM »

I like the music they play as well as the occasional snippets from saints' writings, though some of the voices can be annoying at times.  As far as the talk programs, I only listen to Fr. Thomas Hopko.  The others (especially Kh. Matthewes-Green) are generally boring and not intellecutally stimulating.

I was not going to name names - but yeah, I don't like her podcasts.  She writes better, IMHO (although I realize she isn't theologically deep).
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 01:14:26 AM »

I want to make a confession: I listen to AFR podcasts sometimes to fall asleep. I'm not saying this to imply that AFR is boring or something like that. I just have always liked to fall asleep to low-volume human voices. Music I can't fall asleep to (not sure why). But talk radio especially if its soothing NPR-type voices helps me fall asleep. Also voices with certain kinds of accents. Recently I've been listening to an old special on there with a Coptic neurosurgeon, "Christianity and the Brain." Works every time.

Does anyone else listen to the radio to fall asleep, or am I just weird?

basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 07:31:04 AM »

I give it a an 86, but I can't dance to it.  Shocked Grin

The music is nice and except for a couple of podcasts on Byzantine Music and Orthodoxy versus Heterodoxy that's all I listen to. It always struck me as a World Orthodox attempt to mimic the success of EWTN.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »

Does anyone else listen to the radio to fall asleep, or am I just weird?

I don't but my husband listens to books on tape or podcasts to fall asleep - actually, he listens all night.  It's very annoying.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »

I voted “A good and useful ministry”, but the internet radio is not for me.

I do subscribe to some of the PodCasts for my I-Pod that I use when walking the dog or when commuting, I think the best on the AFR site are:

Fr. Hopko’s “Speaking the Truth in Love” and his “The Names of Jesus”.

Also, Presvytera Jeannie Constantinou’s “Search the Scriptures” and Matthew Namee’s “American Orthodox History”.

There may be other good ones, but I stopped looking after I found some I liked. (There are a lot, but for most,  I did not think that I was in their target audience.)
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »

I like it very much. I was able to get my wife to sit down and listen to a very good critique of the Rapture (she has read all of the Left Behind series.) I don't remember the lady's name, but her presentation was very concise and "biblical." My wife was very persueded her arguments. Smiley

BTW, speaking of Protestant radio programs, does anyone remember "Unshackled"? Man, I loved listening to that show! I wouldn't recommend it now, but I still have respect for that program. That organ music always tripped me out!

Selam

Yes, I've heard that show many. many times over the years!
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

One that I did like (back when they had a combined podcast and music station): The Path by Fr. Tom Soroka.

Currently I am going through Glory To Thee by Dr. Stephen Kouri, and I like it a lot.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »

The others (especially Kh. Matthewes-Green) are generally boring and not intellecutally stimulating.

No, she's a hack.  Her writing (both substantively and stylistically) is shallow.  Her insights are frequently misguided and whenever she claims to know anything about the Greek langauge, she is most often dead wrong.  Why she is considered to be the "spokeswoman" for converts to Orthodoxy is beyond me.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »

It always struck me as a World Orthodox attempt to mimic the success of EWTN.

Hey there. Right now I'm reading The Struggle Against Ecumenism. Your jurisdiction would be so proud.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »

I don't listen to it at all, but then I am not a fan of podcasts and the like. I never could get them to work properly for me-too complicated. When I listen to the radio, it's the good old-fashioned real live radio and only CBC or BBC.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »

No, she's a hack.  Her writing (both substantively and stylistically) is shallow.  Her insights are frequently misguided and whenever she claims to know anything about the Greek langauge, she is most often dead wrong.  Why she is considered to be the "spokeswoman" for converts to Orthodoxy is beyond me.

Please be careful with your words! She posts online and I think she posted here once......I could be wrong about that, but she has friends and family and alot of fans....like myself....so please watch what you say about one of the greatest American heroes and Orthodox women of our day! I am more than willing to defend her honor! So please, watch what you say about her.

InLove   Jnorm

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:17 AM »

I give it a an 86, but I can't dance to it.  Shocked Grin

The music is nice and except for a couple of podcasts on Byzantine Music and Orthodoxy versus Heterodoxy that's all I listen to. It always struck me as a World Orthodox attempt to mimic the success of EWTN.

It's no mimic! One can only be what they are! The creator of AFR had a lifelong christian radio experience within a certain tradition, and so, it is only natural for him to do what he knows best!

It is wrong of you to diss what he spent most of his life doing! What do you know about Radio? Who are you to judge AFR? If you don't like it then start your own station! Do the hard work yourself and start one! I could be wrong, but I think EWTN had it's start with the 700 club, and so, that too, has it's roots within a certain American tradition, and so, let it be what it is! It is what it is! It's not trying to mimic anything......it's just being true to self! We are what we are.......it's no mimic!

Let AFR be what it is! For at the end of the day, people can only be what they are........with the skills that they have! And so, if you don't like the style.....then tuff! too bad! Live with it! For us conservative evangelical and charismatic protestant converts aren't going anywhere............and so you better get use to us! For we are what we are! And we do what we know how to do! Whatever skill we had in our protestant years is gonna be carried over into our Orthodox years! It's only natural for that to happen! It's no gimic!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:56:53 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »

It always struck me as a World Orthodox attempt to mimic the success of EWTN.

Hey there. Right now I'm reading The Struggle Against Ecumenism. Your jurisdiction would be so proud.

Good man!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: