OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan KALLISTOS Ware to visit Annunciation Cathedral in Atlanta  (Read 1241 times) Average Rating: 0
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« on: April 14, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Just wanted to invite anyone who may be in the area...

His Eminence Metropolitan KALLISTOS Ware (World renowned author of such books as The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way) will be visiting Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Atlanta, GA this coming Sunday, April 18th.  He will serve for Divine Liturgy (Orthros at 8:15am, Divine Liturgy at 9:30am), and then will be giving a lecture at the Cathedral at 7:00pm that evening followed by a reception in Carlos Hall.

This is a true blessing and a huge honor for us to host His Eminence!  If you are in the area, I urge you to attend!  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

If you need further information, or directions, please feel free to call the Cathedral office at 404.633.5870.

Truly He is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:12:12 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »

Is he playing any other tour dates in the USA?
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »

Is he playing any other tour dates in the USA?

Not that I am aware of.  He is coming here to conduct a retreat for the Clergy of the Atlanta Metropolis at the Diakonia Center, and His Eminence Metropolitan +ALEXIOS asked him to serve at the Cathedral and speak on Sunday night so that the people could hear him speak and benefit from his wisdom.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »

Metropolitan KALLISTOS Ware visited the Detroit area a couple of years ago.  Gave a seminar in the evening.  The HUGE Antiochian church was filled to capacity.  Apparently, nobody had expected quite that many people to show up.

I loved listening to His Eminence.  He has a great voice to match his usually inspiring message.

...maybe it's the accent!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Layman Dan

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »

Oh there's a clergy retreat?  So THAT'S where my priest is.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »

Is it customary to include a "+" in the bishop's name?  I thought this was something only bishops do when they sign letters and encyclicals.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:50:35 AM »

Is it customary to include a "+" in the bishop's name?  I thought this was something only bishops do when they sign letters and encyclicals.

An archimandrite may also sign his name and prefix it with a cross mark
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »

The point I'm trying to make is NOT about when the "+" is used and who uses it; it's about when the "+" is NOT used.  I'm not aware of any custom that encourages us to use the "+" when speaking of clergy in the second or third person.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:15 AM »

The point I'm trying to make is NOT about when the "+" is used and who uses it; it's about when the "+" is NOT used.  I'm not aware of any custom that encourages us to use the "+" when speaking of clergy in the second or third person.
The cross is never used when writing the hierarchs names by anyone other than themselves. The use in all Orthodox countries I know about is to write "His Grace John of...", "His Eminence John of..." etc.
Adding a cross in front of their name and also capitalizing their whole name, I hate to say it, but seems to be a misguided and arch-zealous English speaking, mostly convert phenomenon.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 02:42:38 AM »

The cross is never used when writing the hierarchs names by anyone other than themselves. The use in all Orthodox countries I know about is to write "His Grace John of...", "His Eminence John of..." etc.
Adding a cross in front of their name and also capitalizing their whole name, I hate to say it, but seems to be a misguided and arch-zealous English speaking, mostly convert phenomenon.

My apologies to Presbytera for further derailing the topic (maybe we could split this off and create a new topic?), but I had always wondered why we use all capital letters with our hierarchs' names.  Also, could you tell us more about this practice, Augustin?  Mulţumesc, prietin.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 03:09:15 AM »

In the holy Church of Serbia the names of hierarchs are capitalised.   I imagine Their Graces would look askance at any impudent pup who used lower case.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 08:52:45 AM »

My apologies to Presbytera for further derailing the topic (maybe we could split this off and create a new topic?), but I had always wondered why we use all capital letters with our hierarchs' names.  Also, could you tell us more about this practice, Augustin?  Mulţumesc, prietin.

I too haven't seen many hierarch's names capitalized in Romanian sources. On the Patriarchal site, they usually refer to the Patriarch as "Blessed Father Patriarch Daniel" -- no caps. However, for whatever reason, they do capitalize his name on the official English version of the Patriarchal site, and in a couple places in the Romanian version. Kind of strange.

In Greek prose, Met. Kallistos would be "(The one) of Diokleia Mr. Kallistos." Never with all caps. In a more churchly setting, it would be "His Excellency of Diokleia Mr. Mr. Kallistos" -- with a double mister. Makes perfectly good sense in Greek, but not really in English.

Anyway, in modern Greek and early church sources, the emphasis is typically on the name of the See, not the name of the person, so the See tends to come first, except with very formal, full titles (e.g. at the top of an official letter or bio). The See comes first for signatures as well. Met. Kallistos would sign his name, in Greek, as "+Of Diokleia Kallistos" -- with a cross and not capitalized. That format has been the case going back as long as we have manuscripts. The cross is never used, except as a signature.

Not nearly as familiar with Slavic customs, but the official site of the Patriarchate of Moscow (in Russian, English, and Greek) does not capitalize hierarchs' names, nor does it put an + in front of them. The same is true for the site of the Patriarchate of Serbia, at least in English.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:08:01 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 09:17:01 AM »

[
Not nearly as familiar with Slavic customs, but the official site of the Patriarchate of Moscow (in Russian, English, and Greek) does not capitalize hierarchs' names, nor does it put an + in front of them. The same is true for the site of the Patriarchate of Serbia, at least in English.

I had in mind official documents.  I have a couple of folders of such from my previous Serbian bishops and in all cases they use capitals for their name.

Here is a sample of this use of capitals from the 2010 Paschal Epistle from the Serbian bishops at
http://www.spc.rs/sr/vaskrsnja_poslanica_2010_godine

You'll find the same capitalisation of hierarchs' names in the English version of this text at
http://www.spc.rs/sr/patriarchal_paschal_encyclical_2010

Дано у Патријаршији Српској у Београду,
о Васкрсу 2010. године.

Ваши молитвеници пред Васкрслим Господом Христом:
Архиепископ пећки, Митрополит београдско-карловачки и
Патријарх српски ИРИНЕЈ
Митрополит загребачко-љубљански ЈОВАН
Митрополит црногорско-приморски АМФИЛОХИЈЕ
Митрополит либертивилско-чикашки ХРИСТОФОР
Митрополит дабробосански НИКОЛАЈ
Епископ шабачки ЛАВРЕНТИЈЕ
Епископ зворничко-тузлански ВАСИЛИЈЕ
Епископ сремски ВАСИЛИЈЕ
Епископ бањалучки ЈЕФРЕМ
Епископ будимски ЛУКИЈАН
Епископ канадски ГЕОРГИЈЕ
Епископ банатски НИКАНОР
Епископ новограчаничко-средњезападноамерички ЛОНГИН
Епископ источноамерички МИТРОФАН
Епископ жички ХРИЗОСТОМ
Епископ бачки ИРИНЕЈ
Епископ британско-скандинавски ДОСИТЕЈ
Епископ рашко-призренски АРТЕМИЈЕ
Епископ бихаћко-петровачки ХРИЗОСТОМ
Епископ осечко-пољски и барањски ЛУКИЈАН
Епископ средњоевропски КОНСТАНТИН
Епископ западноевропски ЛУКА
Епископ тимочки ЈУСТИН
Епископ врањски ПАХОМИЈЕ
Епископ шумадијски ЈОВАН
Епископ славонски САВА
Епископ браничевски ИГЊАТИЈЕ
Епископ милешевски ФИЛАРЕТ
Епископ далматински ФОТИЈЕ
Епископ будимљанско-никшићки ЈОАНИКИЈЕ
Епископ захумско-херцеговачки ГРИГОРИЈЕ
Епископ ваљевски МИЛУТИН
Епископ западноамерички МАКСИМ
Епископ горњокарловачки ГЕРАСИМ
Епископ аустралијско-новозеландски ИРИНЕЈ
Епископ умировљени захумско-херцеговачки АТАНАСИЈЕ,
Администратор Епархије рашко-призренске
Викарни Епископ хвостански АТАНАСИЈЕ
Викарни Епископ јегарски ПОРФИРИЈЕ
Викарни Епископ липљански ТЕОДОСИЈЕ
Викарни Епископ диоклијски ЈОВАН
Викарни Епископ моравички АНТОНИЈЕ

ОХРИДСКА АРХИЕПИСКОПИЈА:
Архиепископ охридски и Митрополит скопски ЈОВАН
Епископ полошко-кумановски ЈОАКИМ
Епископ брегалнички и мјестобљуститељ
Епархије битољске МАРКО
Викарни Епископ стобијски ДАВИД
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

Orthodox Bishop Asks That His Name Not Be Printed in All Caps

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »

I had been using a cross to indicate that the hierarch has passed on. Is that a faux pas?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »

I had been using a cross to indicate that the hierarch has passed on. Is that a faux pas?
It is if you don't explain your usage. Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »

Okay, now that I've thoroughly derailed this thread in order to make a point Embarrassed, can we please work to get it back on topic?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:22:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: Metr. Kallistos Ware 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: