OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:57:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible Study Material  (Read 1664 times) Average Rating: 0
Declan

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« on: April 14, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »

I am following the Lectionary readings in my Orthodox Study Bible and use the commentaty notes that complement each passage of scripture. However I was wondering anyone knows of any further useful books or daily Bible reading notes that follow the Lectionary daily readings and explain the passages more fully?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »

The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox

An online preview is available here (just scroll down after clicking the link):

http://books.google.com/books?id=YLmbkbpANpAC&pg=PP1&dq=bible+holy+fathers+orthodox&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

The book has all of the lectionary readings in order so that you can just turn the page from day to day. There is also usually relevant commentary by church fathers attached about the passage, and then other reflections of theologians and desert fathers.  The only thing that I don't like is that the editor has included many, many quotes from Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, one of the main proprietors of the heresy of Dispensationalism. Sometimes the quotes do not highlight particularly Dispensationalist views, but at other times they are explicit. So if you get this book, ignore his quotes whenever they come up.

Aside from that one criticism, this is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:55:16 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »

Christ is Risen!

One set of books (5)  for Bible Study is the series Year of the Lord: Liturgical Bible Studies by Thorodore Stylianopoulos.

Ancient Christian Commentary Series edited by T.C. Oden and C.A. Hall  This uses the teachings of the early church fathers about the Gospels as its context for studies.

Commentary on the Epistles of St. John the Theologian by Archim. Justin Popovich

The Explanation of St. John - Vol. 4 by Blessed Theophylact
Light & Life Books notes that "This classic Orthodox commentary of the New Testament, was written in about the year 1100 A.D. by a brilliant and saintly Byzantine churchman. His commentary has remained a primary text of New Testament interpretation throughout the Orthodox world.In language that is profound, powerful and direct, Theophylact distills the teachings of the earlier Church Fathers, and especially of St. John Chrysostom, into a verse-by-verse commentary of the entire Gospel text."

There is also an Old Testament series with several  volumes  St. John Chrysostom Old Testament Homilies   translated by Robert C. Hill

These are but a few of the many commentaries by the Church Fathers on the Scriptures that will get you started.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »

The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox

An online preview is available here (just scroll down after clicking the link):

http://books.google.com/books?id=YLmbkbpANpAC&pg=PP1&dq=bible+holy+fathers+orthodox&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

The book has all of the lectionary readings in order so that you can just turn the page from day to day. There is also usually relevant commentary by church fathers attached about the passage, and then other reflections of theologians and desert fathers.  The only thing that I don't like is that the editor has included many, many quotes from Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, one of the main proprietors of the heresy of Dispensationalism. Sometimes the quotes do not highlight particularly Dispensationalist views, but at other times they are explicit. So if you get this book, ignore his quotes whenever they come up.

Aside from that one criticism, this is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it.

Why in the world did they include references from C.I. Scofield? That seems very odd.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »

Permit me to recommend the Very Reverend Father Patrick Henry Reardon's Daily Devotions.
Declan

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »

Thank you for your responses.

It seems to that there is a lack of a good, up to date, Bible commentary that follows the Orthodox lectionary. Definitely a gap in the market for Orthodox writers and publishers? Many daily bible notes exist for Protestants.

Is there some reason why the Orthodox don't see a need for similar material or am I reading my Orthodox Bible in the wrong way?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »

Thank you for your responses.

It seems to that there is a lack of a good, up to date, Bible commentary that follows the Orthodox lectionary. Definitely a gap in the market for Orthodox writers and publishers? Many daily bible notes exist for Protestants.

Is there some reason why the Orthodox don't see a need for similar material or am I reading my Orthodox Bible in the wrong way?

I agree that there is a void that could be filled here. But it is worth noting that the best biblical commentary is to be found in and through the Church. When we attend the Divine Services, we are inundated with Orthodox biblical commentary. That's one thing I love about the Orthros at the Greek Orthodox Church; it's basically an hour of prayer which revolves around the Scriptures and the Church's explanation of those Scriptures. And what better way to understand the Holy Bible than in the context of corporate prayer and recitation?

Selam
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:01:57 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:08 PM »

The Orthodox are keenly aware of the lack of resources for American converts, but there are only so many qualified Orthodox writers and only so many hours in the day. Father Patrick has been an Orthodox priest for the last 22 years. He also wrote part of the Orthodox Study Bible.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »

I do like The Bible and the Holy Fathers... The author explains as to why she put in Prot. authors and it was due to a lack of Eastern Christian writings. However, in future editions she is going to revise it and put in more Orthodox commentaries as they come available. I also like Who's Who of the Old Testament and Who's Who of the Net Testament. These are really great resources for finding out more information regarding people in scripture. The Orthodox Study bible is a great tool but however on some of it's notes is kinda abbreviated but for a first time study bible it's an awesome work. I simply love the translation of the O.T.
Declan

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »

I contacted Conciliar Press and suggested they might consider publishing Bible Study notes to accompany the Orthodox Study Bible and Lectionary readings. They have replied favourably and say they will give consideration to the idea.   Smiley

Would you buy this kind of Study Notes if they were available and what sort of thing would you like to see included?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »

I contacted Conciliar Press and suggested they might consider publishing Bible Study notes to accompany the Orthodox Study Bible and Lectionary readings. They have replied favourably and say they will give consideration to the idea.   Smiley

Would you buy this kind of Study Notes if they were available and what sort of thing would you like to see included?

I would buy that, sure. Ideally, if they could do something like a chain-reference, but from an Orthodox perspective*. Also, if they gave relevant patristic quotes, similar to what Holy Apostles Convent did with their Bible.

*I'm partial to the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible (KJV edition), that's why I favor this approach.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 04:33:44 PM »

Here's a good list of modern Orthodox commentaries; I like those by Fr. Lawrence Farley:

http://www.conciliarpress.com/books/bible-studies

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
rytchurch

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »

I guess I have visited that site SakraMM. I also like the commentaries made by Fr. Lawrence. That is really adorable.

My Movie Bible
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: