OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 11:20:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is "GLiC"?  (Read 2795 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »

I just want to know who GLiC is?  He list himself as an atheist, but I've found old post on this forum in which he sounds very religious (Plus I know that his username means "Greek Christian").  What happened?  How did this man loose his faith (if he had any at all).

Just curious.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »

LOL.

Ah, GiC. The only guy I know who laughs even more than Serb1389.

GiC had convertitis. He was a very conservative, anti-ecumenical, Pedalion-toting dude who came to seminary (not as a priestly candidate, but in preparation for PhD studies) and burned out. It happens. Seminary is not an easy place to be.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »

He's really knowlegeable and funny.  For whatever reason, he not only burned out, he became (seemingly) very jaded and even a little angry at religious life.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

How did this man loose his faith (if he had any at all).

Studying history and theology, I'd wager  angel

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:31:02 PM »

Can't blame him.  laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »

Can't blame him.  laugh

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Tell me about it! I'm so glad we're in the know!  Wink Wink Wink
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »

"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." [I Corinthians 8:1]

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »

Selam
Amen. BUT "You shall know the Truth and the Truth shall set you free."

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »

Selam

Absolutely. But how do we know the Truth? If we seek God only with the intellect, what we discover is merely a mirage. But when we seek Him with our whole being - our heart, mind, soul, and strength - then we experience the reality of ineffable Holy Mystery which is impervious to the critiques of logical scrutiny.

It's the seed that falls on shallow soil. It is initially accepted by the intellect, but fails to penetrate into the depths of the heart. Therefore it remains the object of the intellectual passions rather than the passion the spiritual soul. It is simply an intriguing idea that is inevitably cast aside as soon as another more "rational" theory comes along. 

"Lord have mercy on us."

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »

LOL.

Ah, GiC. The only guy I know who laughs even more than Serb1389.

GiC had convertitis. He was a very conservative, anti-ecumenical, Pedalion-toting dude who came to seminary (not as a priestly candidate, but in preparation for PhD studies) and burned out. It happens. Seminary is not an easy place to be.

Great guy, and he really did laugh a lot...i'm not sure if it was more than me though...or at least not nearly as loudly.  lol. 

If you are worried about him, you should write him a message or email.  It's always good to let people know you're thinking about them, and even better to pray for them. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

Thanks for this info.  I've also found GLiC to be funny (in an irreverent "Family Guy" kind of way).  I did notice reading the archives that he seemed to be very, very traditional back a couple of years ago, but seems to have become very jaded and atheistic.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »

Thanks for this info.  I've also found GLiC to be funny (in an irreverent "Family Guy" kind of way).  I did notice reading the archives that he seemed to be very, very traditional back a couple of years ago, but seems to have become very jaded and atheistic.

I'm wondering where you're getting the "L" from... His username is "GiC," and has been since he decided to go with that nickname after his leaving the Church.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »

As I have joined the forum very recently, I have only ever known the jaded, atheist GiC. That he was once traditional (and humorous?) comes as news to me, and only exacerbates my depression. (I have had wonderful Christian friends in the past who are now unbelievers).
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »

As I have joined the forum very recently, I have only ever known the jaded, atheist GiC. That he was once traditional (and humorous?) comes as news to me, and only exacerbates my depression. (I have had wonderful Christian friends in the past who are now unbelievers).
The apostasy of those who once lived the Christian life is certainly something to mourn, but why do you let it depress you?
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »

Can't blame him.  laugh

Hey, I'm just saying what a couple Orthodox Christians said to me, when they blamed all the reading I did for my troubles. It reminds me of that line from 12 Angry Men, something like... "Oh, you guys are thinking too much and getting confused"  Cheesy

Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »

He that increases wisdom increases sorrow  (I'm also in that boat too).

-- Gustave Flaubert
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »

Why do we have a thread openly discussing a member? Is GiC no longer active on the site? I feel like I am at a wake discussing how someone "used" to be, as if he is no longer with us.  Sad

I would hate to leave the site for a few days to come back and find a thread had been created about me.

Forgive me, but I find this thread incredibly rude.

If someone has questions about a member's faith or lack thereof, should they not PM the person in question and ask them directly?

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »

Why do we have a thread openly discussing a member? Is GiC no longer active on the site? I feel like I am at a wake discussing how someone "used" to be, as if he is no longer with us.  Sad

I would hate to leave the site for a few days to come back and find a thread had been created about me.

If someone has questions about a member's faith or lack thereof, should they not PM the person in question and ask them directly?

But if someone wants to ask other people who a particular person is, what's wrong with that?  I think most of the commentary here has been quite respectful of GiC while still being totally honest.  I don't see any attempt to gossip or speak of him rudely.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:11:21 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »

Why do we have a thread openly discussing a member? Is GiC no longer active on the site? I feel like I am at a wake discussing how someone "used" to be, as if he is no longer with us.  Sad

I would tend to agree, it does seem out of place, even if respectful, it still comes across as gossip.  It might be time consuming, but I believe GICs own words in his many posts speak for themselves.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »

Here's a good rumor:

I heard that once GiC stopped being a Christian, he started torturing felines, much to the chagrin of our avid LOLCATS.COM supporters.

(Just so I don't get banned or warned, this is a joke. It's so fun spelling out sarcasm every time.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:15:56 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Jake C
Catechumen

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »

Seeing as I noticed his status listed as "muted", wouldn't it be a bit tough to ask him personally about his spiritual situation? I don't see anything that "crosses the line", as it were, but let us take care to avoid falling into gossip. I, for one, pray that the Holy Spirit softens GiC's hardened heart and mind, and guides him back toward's the Faith at some point.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »

Seeing as I noticed his status listed as "muted", wouldn't it be a bit tough to ask him personally about his spiritual situation? I don't see anything that "crosses the line", as it were, but let us take care to avoid falling into gossip. I, for one, pray that the Holy Spirit softens GiC's hardened heart and mind, and guides him back toward's the Faith at some point.

Might be hard publicly, but nothing stopping anyone from sending him a PM, and probably more appropriate.
Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:50 PM »

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure of how being muted would affect private messaging and what not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:39:08 PM by Jake C » Logged

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »

Perhaps GLiC is the new SmoT  Tongue

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »

Only if you want history and Theology to fit in a neat systematic and logical box with no inconsistencies, ambiguity.........etc.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »

Selam

We know truth through prayer and living the christian life in general. Not necessarily through reading books(eventhough, I love reading books). I knew God was real through personal prayer and through personal life experience in struggling to survive in this world. And I knew this back in my protestant days.

Other people or people groups may live life with no struggle or pain, and once struggle or pain hits they fall away because they don't know how to deal with pain and suffering. But I had to deal with pain and suffering most of my life, and not just me, but my people in general.

If you can't cope with suffering and pain, then pray to God.......He will come to you! Eventually!

Just wait on him. For He may not come when you want him, but He's always on time. He is an on time God, oh yes He is!

Christ is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:54:14 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure of how being muted would affect private messaging and what not.
When did you last check his status?  He has since been dropped down to Moderated status, which means he has full access to the private messaging system.  Not that I find this thread disagreeable, but if you really want to PM GiC, he can read your message and send back a reply.  Heck, he could even post on this thread if he submits something a moderator would approve.
Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

I confess that it has been a couple of weeks, and I don't really check up on anyone. I simply noticed his muted status whilst reviewing threads he posted in.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 12:28:26 AM »

Selam

We know truth through prayer and living the christian life in general. Not necessarily through reading books(eventhough, I love reading books). I knew God was real through personal prayer and through personal life experience in struggling to survive in this world. And I knew this back in my protestant days.

Other people or people groups may live life with no struggle or pain, and once struggle or pain hits they fall away because they don't know how to deal with pain and suffering. But I had to deal with pain and suffering most of my life, and not just me, but my people in general.

If you can't cope with suffering and pain, then pray to God.......He will come to you! Eventually!

Just wait on him. For He may not come when you want him, but He's always on time. He is an on time God, oh yes He is!

Christ is Risen!

Yes I! Preach my bredda, preach! Nothing wrong with that!

Selam

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: