OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:58:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For My Diet and Health  (Read 1374 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: April 12, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »

Brothers and sisters, please pray for me. Over the last six months I have pretty much quit smoking cigarettes except on rare social occasions. As a result of this, however, I have gained a considerable amount of weight very slowly, and I am only now realizing that I have really let myself get out of hand. I am totally addicted to soda pop and fatty foods, as well as deserts, and if I do not change very soon, my weight will be beyond the point of being manageable.

Please pray for me, that God would grant me the discipline to begin to live healthily, and that I would truly begin to enjoy fruits and vegetables. I have damaged my ability to enjoy the taste of such foods by being so unhealthy all of these years. I really need a miracle of sorts. This is for my family, so that I can be around for many years to support them and to be there for my child.

Also, please petition St. Euphrosynos the Cook for his powerful prayers in this matter.

St. Euphrosynos, save me by your prayers!
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »

Brothers and sisters, please pray for me. Over the last six months I have pretty much quit smoking cigarettes except on rare social occasions. As a result of this, however, I have gained a considerable amount of weight very slowly, and I am only now realizing that I have really let myself get out of hand. I am totally addicted to soda pop and fatty foods, as well as deserts, and if I do not change very soon, my weight will be beyond the point of being manageable.

Please pray for me, that God would grant me the discipline to begin to live healthily, and that I would truly begin to enjoy fruits and vegetables. I have damaged my ability to enjoy the taste of such foods by being so unhealthy all of these years. I really need a miracle of sorts. This is for my family, so that I can be around for many years to support them and to be there for my child.

Also, please petition St. Euphrosynos the Cook for his powerful prayers in this matter.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! I just quit as well about 2 months ago (cold turkey) after several years of smoking. Let us pray for one another that we will be able to remain free from this harmful addiction! I will pray also for you concerning your diet and weight issues.

If I could offer any advice on that topic, it would be to just quit soda pop cold turkey. It's useless empty calories. Try just drinking water instead. I know it will seem boring at first, but really most of us don't get enough water to begin with.

Let us know how things are going. Do you have a "game-plan" for how to get healthy? I will pray for you.

May Christ our God, through the intercessions of St. Euphrosynos, have mercy on us!

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:58:55 PM »

You have my prayers.  I struggle with the same thing, and the high blood pressure and diabetes is the reward for my excess.  I pray you are spared these!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17:24 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:11 AM »

Lord, have mercy!  Congrats for being able to quit smoking.  It's been about 12 years for me since I quit, but I remember it being very difficult.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
gregoryh

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:39 AM »

Lord, have mercy on Gabriel. Thank you, Lord. St. Euphrosynosm, please pray for him.  Thank you.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Don't "over plan" or you will never even start...because your plan isn't complete.

I, through the grace of God, and His ever present assistance, have managed to drop a significant amount of weight this last year.

It was Mother's Day...and during Liturgy I asked for God's help in this seemingly silly request.  When people are dying, and are poor, and sick...and here I was asking for help to lose the weight that I gained due to my own overindulgence and greed.

...and yet, I humbly asked.  ....and He kindly answered.

I stopped over-eating that very day.

Since then, I took to walking regularly throughout the summer, and staying away from carbs as much as possible. 

It hasn't been "easy" but, the rewards are great!  Don't overthink it, just do it!

I am far from my goal, but, I am over half way there!

Lord, have mercy on all of us who struggle with this "addiction"!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:40:52 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »

Lord have mercy!
Laura

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »

I'm praying for you and for all of us who have a food problem.  But, first, congratulations on quitting smoking!  Smiley  That will be a tremendous benefit to your health.  It's hard to know exactly what food rules to follow.  Our Orthodox fasting observances are wonderful, and a Mediterranean-type diet (shellfish, etc.) is supposed to be beneficial, but I can't claim success at keeping my weight down.  Programs like Weight Watchers (which can be done on line) have helped me and a lot of people who need a group to be accountable to.  Prayer certainly helps -- no question about that. 
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »

Kyrie Eleison!

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Perhaps he can recommend a Dietitian to work with you and guide you on this path. I know that when I was trying to lose weight a few years ago, working with a Dietitian really helped in providing reasonable solutions to my problem. She did a total health assessment, monitored my progress, suggested recipes, eating tips, and helped me stay on track.

Maybe this is what you need?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »

Non-prayer discussion of diet and nutrition advice moved HERE.  Please remember that this is the Prayer Forum, a place reserved solely for prayer.  This is NOT a place for discussing the latest wisdom on diet and nutrition.  If you wish to pray, your prayers are welcome in this section.  Otherwise, please submit your posts somewhere else.  Thank you.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:09:48 AM »

Lord have mercy!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »

Lord Have Mercy !...Amen
May the Lord Grant you the strength to overcome ...Amen Amen ..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: