OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:01:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Read Geza Vermes' "Christian Beginnings"?  (Read 1067 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »

Do poor people who are Orthodox touch themselves with 10 ft poles?

#thingstoponder

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »

Maybe that's why you don't see so many in church...can you imagine how many bystanders would be injured when they tried to cross themselves? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »

Less important than how a Christian begins is how he ends, and usually not very well as they tend to end just like everyone else in the world around them. People can mock the Odox and other "liturgical" Christians for all their pomp, but to be fair, without it, how would anyone know these people were Christians?

This thought has been creeping around my mind for months now in the guise of this question:  Are Orthodox Christians distinguishable from Protestants in terms of "spiritual fruit"?

I admit it is an improper question because ultimately who are we to judge or compare.  I am pretty humbled by the acts of love, service and sacrifice I witness in my Protestant congregation.

And I continue to be the only Orthodox person I have ever met who is willing to touch a poor person with less than a 10-foot pole.

I gave a dollar to a woman begging at an intersection.  Her hand brushed my finger as she took the bill from me.  I couldn't wait to get home to wash my hands, as she was very dirty.  Does that make me a hypocrite?

I have heard the germ phobia excuse many times before.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

Less important than how a Christian begins is how he ends, and usually not very well as they tend to end just like everyone else in the world around them. People can mock the Odox and other "liturgical" Christians for all their pomp, but to be fair, without it, how would anyone know these people were Christians?

This thought has been creeping around my mind for months now in the guise of this question:  Are Orthodox Christians distinguishable from Protestants in terms of "spiritual fruit"?

I admit it is an improper question because ultimately who are we to judge or compare.  I am pretty humbled by the acts of love, service and sacrifice I witness in my Protestant congregation.

And I continue to be the only Orthodox person I have ever met who is willing to touch a poor person with less than a 10-foot pole.

To be fair, Orthodox monks I have seen are very good about this. I overlooked that.
So it is just you and the monks.  Got it.  Roll Eyes

No monks around here.

But in the city I lived in until recently, the Orthodox (who have a huge presence) virtually did squat and excused themselves from the opportunity to do more. The Catholics, on the other hand, pretty much ensured the survival of the city's homeless population.

And I am not talking about giving dollar bills or doing "hands-off" charity work. I've known plenty of Orthodox who will do those things.

If things are different where you live, I am glad!
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »

Am I reading this wrong or are you asserting an incredibly haughty and proud statement?

You are reading it wrong. It is an expression of frustration.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

To be fair, Orthodox monks I have seen are very good about this. I overlooked that.
So it is just you and the monks.  Got it.  Roll Eyes

No monks around here.

But in the city I lived in until recently, the Orthodox (who have a huge presence) virtually did squat and excused themselves from the opportunity to do more. The Catholics, on the other hand, pretty much ensured the survival of the city's homeless population.

And I am not talking about giving dollar bills or doing "hands-off" charity work. I've known plenty of Orthodox who will do those things.

If things are different where you live, I am glad!
Our parish is very involved with our local food bank and assisting charities in our county as well as assistance with an Orthodox orphanage in Guatemala.  I'm sorry to hear you don't have a similar experience in your area.  Sad

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »

I'm proud to say my church has been quite involved over the years:

http://hotca.org/news/outreach

Needless to say, we could always do more.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »

I'm proud to say my church has been quite involved over the years:

http://hotca.org/news/outreach

Needless to say, we could always do more.

Not the first time I've heard of an Old Calendar church that did lots of good charity work.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »

It would actually be really interesting to do a study on how Orthodox churches have been involved in charity work in this country, since charity has obviously been such a big part of the Catholic Church here, and also many evangelical churches.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:13 AM »

Do poor people who are Orthodox touch themselves with 10 ft poles?

#thingstoponder

Have you ever heard of that joke about heaven involving 10 foot poles?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags: Vermes  history  Christian Origins 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: