OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:51:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter calls Paul's epistles 'Scripture' (2 Peter 3:16)  (Read 3371 times) Average Rating: 0
deuteros

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 11, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »

In 2 Peter 3:16 it seems that Peter (or whoever wrote 2 Peter) considers Paul's writings to be Scripture. But I was under the impression that recognition of the books that eventually made up the NT as Scripture happened gradually and not until much much later.

I ask because this is one of the verses Protestants use to support sola scriptura.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »

Reading the verse (translation is NKJV, take from it what you will)

"as also in all [Paul's] epistles speaking in them of these things in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures."

It seems to me, rather than explicitly saying Paul's epistles are scripture, that Peter says that Paul's writings are a part of the faith that the apostles teach which includes Scripture (that is, the Old Testament).
Though, in sorting out which epistles are to be considered canon, this endorsement of Paul by a direct apostle of Christ must have been important in including him in the canon.

I don't see a strong case for sola scriptura here; I actually see the opposite.

It would be fun to quote the second half of the verse to double-predestinationists.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »

Definitely not a support of sola scriptura.  "Untaught and unstable people" like the Protestants twist the interpretation of St. Paul's epistles, as they do with Scriptures, for as St. Peter says two chapters earlier, scriptures are not for private interpretation.

Therefore, so as to not privately interpret the Scriptures and St. Paul's letters, if we can't use Scriptures alone, but need the Church, which would remove from us ignorance and instability.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: sola scriptura Scripture St. Peter St. Paul 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: