OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:51:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Miron died in a plane crash in Russia  (Read 2466 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: April 11, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »

Archbishop Miron (Chodakowski) Orthodox Ordinary of the Polish Army, Brigadier General and Bishop of Hajnówka, was killed this morning in the crash of the presidential aircraft Tu-154. This information was confirmed by official website of Orthodox Autocephalous Church in Poland. Archbishop Miron was a member of the presidential delegation at today's 70th celebrations anniversary of the Katyń massacre.

The plane crashed as it approached Smolensk. No-one of the 88 passengers, among whom were Lech Kaczynski, his wife, scores of other senior Polish figures and 8 crewmembers survived. The cause of the disaster was likely very dense fog. The plane had difficulty when approaching the airport, it’s wing hit trees and plain burst into flames.

Metropolitan Sawa celebrated in the cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene's funeral service for the victims of disaster.

Eternal memory to them!
Christ is Risen!

Biography of Archbishop Miron (by Stefan Dmitruk):

Miroslaw Chodakowski was born on 21 October 1957 in Bialystok. He graduated primary school in Bialystok ,Orthodox Seminary in Warsaw and Higher Orthodox Seminary in Jableczna.

17 December 1978 he was tonsured in Rassophore, and 9 days later was ordained a deacon. 15 February 1979 he was ordained to hieromonk. In November 1979, Metropolitan of Warsaw and the whole Polish Basil has tonsured in Small Schema hieromonk Miroslaw with the name Miron.

Hieromonk Miron served as governor of the monastery church. St. Humphrey the Great in Jableczna. He was Rector of the Orthodox Theological Seminary. In 1984 he was elevated to the dignity ihumen, adopted as part of the clergy Bialystok-Gdansk diocese and appointed pastor of the parish church of Annunciation of Our Lady in Supraśl. In 1990, elevated to the rank of archimandrite and was appointed governor of the monastery in Supraśl.

11 May 1998, in accordance with the decision of the Council of Bishops of Orthodox Autocephalous Church in Poland, was held at the ingress archimandrite Miron bishop of Hajnówka diocese. 15 August 1998, the Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski appointed bishop Miron Brigadier General and Orthodox Ordinary of Polish Army.

In 2003 he earned a doctorate in theology from the Church's history at the Christian Theological Academy. 10 May 2008 Bishop Miron was raised to the rank of archbishop.

Metropolitan Sawa interim Ordinary of Polish Army:

In connection with the tragic death of Archbishop Miron, Orthodox Ordinary of Polish Army, his duties took over the Metropolitan of Warsaw and all Poland Sawa. Metropolitan Sawa has also set up a commission whose task will be to organize the funeral of Archbishop Miron. The commission consists of: father Michał Dudicz - Dean of the Land Forces and Deputy of the Orthodox Ordinary of Polish Army, father Aleksy Andrejuk - Dean of the Air Force and colonel George Wiluk - Head of the Secretariat of the Orthodox Ordinary.

The information about the funeral of Archbishop Miron will be given later.

On Sunday 11 April in all the churches in Poland funeral prayers for the victims of disaster will be served.

Condolences from Patriarchs Cyril and Theodore II:

Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Cyril and Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa Theodore II passed Bronisław Komorowski and to all the Polish people condolences because of the plane crash near Smolensk. Patriarch Cyril began yesterday his visit in Egypt.

Both hierarchs handed sympathy from their side and the faithful of the Alexandrian and Russian Churches. They added that they pray for the victims.

Patriarchs Cyril and Theodore II, added that due to the fact that the disaster took place near the Katyń - "the place of joint pain, Polish and Russian peoples" as of today the memory of the thousands killed in the Katyń forest is inseparably linked with the memory of passengers of a crashed plane".

Prayer in Bialystok for the victims of plane crash:

On Saturday, April 10, in the cathedral of St. Nicholas in Bialystok a memorial service for the victims of plane crash in Russia (in particular, the archbishop Miron and Polish President Lech Kaczynski) was served. The memorial service (after all-night vigil) was celebrated by archbishop of Białystok and Gdansk Jakub.

During worship in the church present were: deputy of governor Wojciech Dierzgowski, marshal Jaroslaw Dworzański, president of Białystok Tadeusz Truskolaski with vice-presidents, flag bearers and representatives of the uniformed services.

“The shock comes stroneger when you know people who died.” - said at the beginning of the worship archbishop Jakub – “among the victims was also the archbishop Miron. With him, I and many others have met on Wednesday, three days ago, in Supraśl. We celebrated together a service on the feast of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary. He said then that he flies to Katyń, together with the president. At the moment, where I heard that the president was killed, I realized that probably archbishop Miron was also killed. (...) He died like everyone else, performing his duties.

The Archbishop added that earthly life is only a stage in human life. Anyone who believed, who was a follower of Christ and tried to live according to the commandments of the gospel, will obtain eternal life. (...) We should remember that the most agreeable and pleasant bouquet of flowers is a bunch of our common prayers.

The memorial service was attended by the family of tragically deceased archbishop Miron.

source
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:58:59 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:18:07 PM »

May his memory be eternal as well as the memory of all who died in the terrible plane crash.

Lord have mercy!
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »

Memory eternal for all the victims.  God give strength to their families and the nation.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »

May his Memory be Eternal!

Lord, have mercy on all those who grieve.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »

Memory eternal - Christ is Risen!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »

Memory eternal!

On Sunday, 11 April, memorial prayer was served for Archbishop Miron in the Saint Nicholas church in Varna, Bulgaria. He served a liturgy in this church in 2006 when he was visiting the town on the occasion of 1950 years of the sermon of Saint Andrew the Apostle near modern town Varna.

http://mitropolia-varna.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1473&Itemid=1

http://bg-patriarshia.bg/news.php?id=20881

Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »

Memory eternal for everyone who was involved in the tragedy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »

Panikhida for archbishop Miron in USA:
Chicago's Polish Orthodox community remembers Archbishop Miron and those who perished with him. On Sunday, April 11, 2010, members of the Polish Orthodox community throughout the Chicago area gathered at Saint Joseph Church, Wheaton, Illinois, to celebrate a panikhida for His Eminence, Archbishop Miron of Hajnowka and those who perished with him in the airplane crash near Smolensk, Russia.

A memorial luncheon followed in the parish hall.

Concelebrating the panikhida were Archpriest John Matusiak, rector; Archpriest Mykola Bodnarchuk; Priest Joseph Kopka; and Protodeacon Joseph Matusiak.  Parishioners from Bialystok, Bielsk-Podlaski, Siemiaticze, Gdansk, Hajnowka, and elsewhere offered their prayers for the repose of Archbishop Miron and those who perished in the catastrophe.

Archbishop Miron is fondly remembered by the Chicago-area faithful for visiting Saint Joseph Church in 2007.

Archbishop Miron will be buried in Supraśl:
Archbishop Miron, Orthodox Ordinary of Polish Army who died in the plain crash near Smolensk, will be buried in the monastery of Supraśl – said spokesman of Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church, fr. Henryk Paprocki.

It is not known yet when the funeral ceremony will take place. It depends on when the identified body of archbishop Miron will be transported to Poland.

The archbishop is likely to be buried in the basement of the Annunciation of the Mother of God church.

Archbishop Miron was the superior of the monastery in Supraśl for many years. He worked on its reconstruction. After he was raised to the dignity of the bishop he moved from Supraśl to Hajnowka and was appointed a head of the Orthodox Ordinary of the Polish Army.

Ordinary: funeral service:
pril 10, on the day of the fatal plain crash, in the chapel of the Orthodox Ordinary of Polish Army a panikhida was served for archbishop Miron and other victims of the disaster.
The prayer was attended by the employees of the Orthodox Ordinary of the Polish Army, the faithful and the family of the deceased archbishop. There was also a condolence book in memory of archbishop Miron, where everyone could express his sorrow.

Unfortunately, among the fourteen bodies, which could be immediately identified, there was no archbishop Miron. Yesterday morning, with the blessings of metropolitan Sawa, fr. Michał Dudicz and fr. Aleksy Andrejuk went to Moscow along with other families of the deceased.

source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life.

Chrystus powstał z martwych, depcząc w dół śmierć przez śmierć i na w grobowcach nadając życiu.

Christos voskrese iz mertvych, smertiju smert poprav, I suscym vo hrob'ich zivot daravav.

May our Risen Saviour grant eternal memory and the Kingdom of Heaven to his faithful servants: the Archbishop Miron; the Bishop Tadeusz; the Priests Ryszard, Bronislaw, Roman, Zdzislaw and Jozef and the Pastor Adam. Vicnaja Jej Pamjat. Eternal be their memories. Christ is Risen! Christos Voskrese! Khristus Zmartvikstau!

Eternal Memory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=OydsFRt_I2s&feature=related

A beautiful Orthodox video from Lublin,Poland

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=fkgwXxtNduA&feature=PlayList&p=9DCE4595BE53F062&playnext_from=PL&index=52&playnext=2

(To see the videos you will have to copy the URL as it didn't fully link for some reason. Thanks to Google for the Polish translation of Christ is Risen. I hope it was close!)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

(To see the videos you will have to copy the URL as it didn't fully link for some reason. Thanks to Google for the Polish translation of Christ is Risen. I hope it was close!)

Chrystus powstał z martwych, śmiercią podeptał śmierć i będącym w grobach życie dał! is better.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:58:20 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »

Thanks! That's why I credited Google. It's not bad, but when I get email from Slovakia and use it to translate back and forth, it usually mangles one or the other or both! If you don't know the language, it could be risky!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »

I've just found a video report from Abp Miron's funeral.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

I didn't want to start a seperate thread, and didn't want this to get buried in politics.

In the background the other day, my stepfather was watching some show on Katyn, and it stated that when the Nazis had finished their investigation that "the Orthodox were allowed to take and bury the dead with proper rites."  That peeked my ear and I looked and saw footage showing Orthodox priests (at least Eastern ones) going along long mass graves and blessing them. I'm curious why the Orthodox were the ones allowed to bury the dead, as the documentary showed that the Nazis knew that the killed were Polish officers and that identification was very easy as they were in their uniforms and all their official papers, letters, photographs etc. were intact on the bodies. Given the policies of the Polish Republic, I would have doubted that anyone of the officials was Orthodox.  Since many of the Germans were communicants of the Vatican, and I presume that they had Vatican chaplans, not to mention the resident Polish Latin clergy, I wondered why they did not take the bodies for burial.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »

First of all there were RCC clergy (Fr. Stanisław Jasiński), I suppose he was not filmed by the Germans.

Among the 20+ thousands of murdered Polish citizens there were some (I suppose a few percents) Orthodox people (most known Fr. Lt Col Szymon Fedorońko).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »

First of all there were RCC clergy (Fr. Stanisław Jasiński), I suppose he was not filmed by the Germans.

is there a reason why they would not?

Among the 20+ thousands of murdered Polish citizens there were some (I suppose a few percents) Orthodox people (most known Fr. Lt Col Szymon Fedorońko).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »

Exhumation worked were lasting since February to June 1943. I doubt they had the camera all the time with them. They weren't as common as they are now.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »

Exhumation worked were lasting since February to June 1943. I doubt they had the camera all the time with them. They weren't as common as they are now.

The did however take a lot of footage. Given the propaganda value, not a surprise.  The film that showed seemed to indicate that the whole thing was wrapped up (they showed rows of the pictures collected off the bodies and catolgued, for instance), and the remains were then laid to rest side by side (rather than in a pile) in trenches dug up (rather than individual graves), and then the priests going down performing rites, one by one. The Soviets destroyed the cementry in their "inquiry."  Again, the thing that struck me was that Orthodox were the ones shown and identified, and identifed as such.

Tags: Poland Polish Polish Orthodox Church Smolensk 2010 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: