OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:33:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anniversary of the martyrdom of St. Gregorios, Ecumenical Patriarch  (Read 1241 times) Average Rating: 0
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« on: April 10, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »

The following was posted on Facebook by His Grace Bishop Savas:

Today, the Orthodox Church remembers the martyrdom of Ecumenical Patriarch GREGORIOS V of Constantinople, who, on this same date, Saturday, April 10, in 1821, was executed by hanging, by orders of the Ottoman Turkish authorities, for his supposed role encouraging the uprising of the Greeks that had begun in the Peloponnese the previous month. He was dragged from the sanctuary of St George's Cathedral in the Phanar after celebrating the First "Resurrection" Liturgy on Holy Saturday morning, and hanged from the entrance gate in his patriarchal vestments. He was 80 years old, and thin, and his executioners had to pull on his legs to achieve their goal. His body was left to hang there for three days before it was given to the mob to drag to the sea. The gate from which he entered God's presence has been shut ever since.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

Is this His Grace Bishop Savas whose office is in New York?

Also what does he mean by "The gate from which he entered God's presence has been shut ever since."

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:12:21 PM »

Yes. His Grace Bishop Savas of Troas, formerly Chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

Also what does he mean by "The gate from which he entered God's presence has been shut ever since."

The gate itself was sealed shut and has never been opened in honor of the Patriarch who was killed there.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »

Christos anesti!

Yes. His Grace Bishop Savas of Troas, formerly Chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

The gate itself was sealed shut and has never been opened in honor of the Patriarch who was killed there.

http://www.spraguephoto.com/stock/images/Turkey/tr0451.jpg

His relics are in the Cathedral of Athens.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Shrine_of_Grigorios_E.JPG

On treatment of the event in the contemporary American press:
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2010/03/the-death-of-patriarch-gregory-v-of-constantinople-1821/#respond
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:32:37 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »

On my first visit to the Ecumenical Patriarchate I said a brief prayer in front of that gate and took a picture there.

Memory Eternal!

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »

On my first visit to the Ecumenical Patriarchate I said a brief prayer in front of that gate and took a picture there.

Memory Eternal!

Girildi Mesih!

I vaguely remember that the gate is referred to kara kapi or siah kapi in Turkish.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:19:35 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »

Girildi Mesih!

I vaguely remember that the gate is referred to kara kapi or siah kapi in Turkish.

Mesih Dirildi*    Al Masih Qaam
Gerçekten Dirildi!   Haqqan Qaam

I have not heard that kind of a designation, but only remember that a nationalist officer called it the gate of spite/grudge.

An interesting detail from political history: The current prime minister went to visit the EP after his first victory in politics as the mayor of Constantinople in 1990s and asked His All Holiness to open this specific gate as a sign of the EP's willingness for peace & forgiveness. Of course, he was turned down.

From time to time some conservative and pro-Ottoman newspapers remind their readers of this tragedy, but praise the slaughter of the Patriarch, whom they consider a traitor.  Cry

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:45:44 AM »

Did not this same Patriarch condemn the Greek revolution against the Ottomans?  Why then would they hang him as a traitor?

You would think that the Turks would have kept him alive in order to further their political goals of suppressing Greek resistance to their rule?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Tags: Turkish Republic 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: