OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:26:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Introduction  (Read 881 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: April 10, 2010, 04:37:36 AM »

+Echristos Anesti!

Peace all,

Haven't been about in a while largely because of business and that now that Orthodox Christianity is more familiar and less of an uncertainty there are much fewer questions Wink

Anyway, a friend in Sydney whom meenas (if he is reading) has met is, by God's grace, to be baptised in the next 50 days sometime. But this isn't the one I'm here to talk about.

Another devout soul of Anglican heritage whom we know is converting and this one may do well to hear the wisdom expressed here and there are only so many answers one sinner can answer. Just thought it may be best to greet you all and let you know the Lord is keeping us alive before introducing this one though.

Thank you all for all your love through the years and remember us please in your prayers.

By the grace of God,
Didymus

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Laura

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »

Alethos Anesti!

Didymos, I'm very new to this website and the forums -- less than an hour, including registering.  It's the wee hours of the morning, and I shouldn't be online at all, so all I want to say now is that I'm interested in your topic and will be back tomorrow. 

You mentioned a possible convert who is an Anglican.  I was very, very Anglican (Episcopal Church) all my life until I converted to Orthodoxy five years ago this Pascha.  I'm eager to share with you and your friends.  I'll see you tomorrow unless I have trouble getting back here or can't see your post on the reply page.

Laura
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Laura!

Laura

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:51 AM »

Thank you, Salpy.  I can stay online for only a few minutes, but wanted to thank you for your reply to my first post on tis forum.  I have a first cousin who is Armenian on her late father's side.  His father died in the massacre in the early 20th century, and he grew up in other parts of Europe.  After his mother died, an uncle brought him to the U.S.  Unfortunately, there was no Armenian or Orthodox parish of any jurisdiction in their city, and, as they were advised to do at that time, he became an Episcopalian (Anglican).  My cousin still belongs to the Episcopal Church, the Church I converted from five years ago, but her father's nephew attends the Greek Orthodox parish in the same city -- apparently there's still no Armenian church there.  I heard about what happened to my "Uncle Zaven's" family from my parents, and it's because of this that I've been aware of the suffering of Orthodox people in eastern Europe since I was about 3 years old.  Otherwise I might not have even heard of Orthodoxy until I was taught the "three streams theory" in Confirmation class when I was in middle school.

My cousin's son is named Gregory ("Greg").  I don't think there's an Armenian parish in my large city either.  I've tried to find an icon of St. Gregory of Armenia to give to my cousin.  I've tried the internet with no success.  I've even been told that the Armenian Orthodox Church doesn't use icons -- but you have an icon with your post.
Thank you again.  Laura

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Salpy can answer better than I, but as I understand the Armenian usage, they don't have a problem with iconography, but they don't really use them in the same way that we do. I think they are more for sparse decoration rather than having a complex Incarnational theology behind them, which comes from St. John of Damascus, which was a saint after the schism between our communions.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:48:46 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »

Thank you, Salpy.  I can stay online for only a few minutes, but wanted to thank you for your reply to my first post on tis forum.  I have a first cousin who is Armenian on her late father's side.  His father died in the massacre in the early 20th century, and he grew up in other parts of Europe.  After his mother died, an uncle brought him to the U.S.  Unfortunately, there was no Armenian or Orthodox parish of any jurisdiction in their city, and, as they were advised to do at that time, he became an Episcopalian (Anglican).  My cousin still belongs to the Episcopal Church, the Church I converted from five years ago, but her father's nephew attends the Greek Orthodox parish in the same city -- apparently there's still no Armenian church there.  I heard about what happened to my "Uncle Zaven's" family from my parents, and it's because of this that I've been aware of the suffering of Orthodox people in eastern Europe since I was about 3 years old.  Otherwise I might not have even heard of Orthodoxy until I was taught the "three streams theory" in Confirmation class when I was in middle school.

My cousin's son is named Gregory ("Greg").  I don't think there's an Armenian parish in my large city either.  I've tried to find an icon of St. Gregory of Armenia to give to my cousin.  I've tried the internet with no success.  I've even been told that the Armenian Orthodox Church doesn't use icons -- but you have an icon with your post.

http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Images2/Articles/swearing_2_mithras/Saint_Gregory_the_Illuminator.jpg
http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Religions/iranian/Mithraism/swearing_2_mithra.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Istanbul_-_Chiesa_Pammacaristos_%28Fetiye_camii%29_-_San_Gregorio_armeniaco_-_Foto_G._Dall%27Orto_26-5-2006.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Stgregoryilluminator.jpg

You can buy one here (yes, it took me a while to find it):
http://archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HTM-A271

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Salpy can answer better than I, but as I understand the Armenian usage, they don't have a problem with iconography, but they don't really use them in the same way that we do. I think they are more for sparse decoration rather than having a complex Incarnational theology behind them, which comes from St. John of Damascus, which was a saint after the schism between our communions.
Armenia also didn't suffer Iconoclasm, the reason iconography became the overwhelming mark of EO.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Laura

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »

Thank you.
Laura

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »

Thank you so much, ialmisry, for the beautiful icons.  I don't have a color printer, but will save them and look for a place to buy one of them.   Since my cousin isn't Orthodox, she wouldn't venerate the icon, but she'd love it.  Her son, Greg, is a committed evangelical Presbyterian Christian.

Alveus Lacuna, thank you for your helpful reply.  If the Armenians don't have the same theology of icons as post-St. John of Damascus churches, that helps with a dilemma I'm in, about giving icons as gifts to those who love Christ and other Christians, and would respect the icons and love looking at them, but would not venerate them?  I gave a Resurrection icon to a very good friend (Charismatic Episcopal Church) when her husband died, but I had second thoughts about it later.  She's a Christian artist and she values it very much and gives it a place of honor in her house.  She's moving now, and I've "borrowed it back" for Pascha.  She wants to be sure I'll return it to her as soon as she moves into her new home.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

Laura, welcome to the forum!

Love never fails.
Laura

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »

Thank you, Heorhij.  I'll look for you all tomorrow.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »

I've even been told that the Armenian Orthodox Church doesn't use icons -- but you have an icon with your post.

We do use and venerate icons, but not as elaborately as you would see in a Coptic or EO Church.  Here is a recent thread on the use of icons in Oriental Orthodox Churches:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21473.0.html

Tags: OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: