Author Topic: Small request  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Toraak

• Archangel Michael
Small request
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm not sure how to do this but here goes...

First, if you would, pray for some families in my town whose apartments burned down this week. I don't think anyone was hurt but I know it must be awful for them. Everything else I'm going to ask pales in comparison to this and my heart goes out to them.

Please pray for me. I feel awfully lonely most of the time and I'm terribly shy. I don't wanna ask because it sounds terribly selfish, but I hope the Lord will help me with my fear. I've met some nice kids at school but I'm very awkward around people and I'm afraid I'm gonna drive them away. I know all this sounds really silly but I'm at wits end, and I need the Lord's help. This is something I've been struggling with all my life and it makes me so sad... :'( If you find some room in your hearts for my silly request please pray for me but most of all pray for those who have lost their homes. Thanks.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
Re: Small request
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »
Lord have mercy!

If I may ask, how old are you?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:56:31 PM »
Lord have mercy!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:28:24 AM »
+Lord Have Mercy!
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline Lauren_Elisse

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Lord have mercy
Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Offline Toraak

• Archangel Michael
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 04:05:04 AM »
Thank you everyone. I'm 26.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:58:17 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »
Thank you everyone. I'm 26.

I just ask because am the same by nature, and so is my older son. He was rather shocked when I told him that I was shy by nature, as he said he didn't see it. I explained that I've learned to overcome it, but it is still how I am.  Part of it was having good friends who were outgoing by nature: being around them you are just swept into being more sociable.  Another was finding groups that I was comfortable with.  I've suggested he get more involved in group activities at school.  You mentioned something about school: maybe you should look into that too.  Since you are older, you might have to look wider for groups to get involved with.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline Toraak

• Archangel Michael
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
I just ask because am the same by nature, and so is my older son. He was rather shocked when I told him that I was shy by nature, as he said he didn't see it. I explained that I've learned to overcome it, but it is still how I am.  Part of it was having good friends who were outgoing by nature: being around them you are just swept into being more sociable.  Another was finding groups that I was comfortable with.  I've suggested he get more involved in group activities at school.  You mentioned something about school: maybe you should look into that too.  Since you are older, you might have to look wider for groups to get involved with.

Thanks everyone, I feel better.  :)  That describes me pretty well. I'm still in college... I just have to work harder and be more involved. Just wish it were easier, but hey there's nothing like that feeling when you've worked really hard for something and you finally accomplish it.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:56 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Love never fails.

Offline gregoryh

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:26:05 AM »
Dear one, your requests are not silly.  May God grant you peace and joy and good friends.  May He have mercy on those whose apartments burned and help them in their time of need.

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
Lord have mercy!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »

Thanks everyone, I feel better.  :)  That describes me pretty well. I'm still in college... I just have to work harder and be more involved. Just wish it were easier, but hey there's nothing like that feeling when you've worked really hard for something and you finally accomplish it.
Lord, have mercy!

One group I might recommend, if you can find one near your college, is a local chapter of Toastmasters International, where you can learn communication and leadership skills that will help you overcome your shyness.  If you want more details, please send me a private message.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 03:06:29 AM »
Lord have mercy!
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)