Author Topic: How hard would it be to make up a new religion?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Christianus

• Elder
How hard would it be to make up a new religion?
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
How hard would it be?

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: How hard would it be to make up a new religion?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »

Offline Christianus

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
Not hard. http://www.venganza.org/
¡Qué blasfemia!
I find it strange that the name of the sight is Venganza, which in Spanish means vengeance.

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »
How hard would it be?

Ask L. Ron Hubbard.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:27:22 PM by Rafa999 »
I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »
To make up the religion is not hard at all. Just ask Muhammed, Joseph Smith, or Charles Taze Russell.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Xenu, also Xemu (pronounced /ˈziːnuː/[1][2][3]) was, according to the founder of Scientology and science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions[4][5] of his people to Earth in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology dogma holds that the essences of these many people remained, and that they form around people in modern times, causing them spiritual harm.[1][6] Members of the Church of Scientology widely deny or try to hide the Xenu story.[7][8]

These events are known within Scientology as "Incident II"[9], and the traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire or the R6 implant. The story of Xenu is part of Scientologist teachings about extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in Earthly events, collectively described as space opera by Hubbard. Hubbard detailed the story in Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, warning that the R6 "implant" (past trauma[10]) was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia etc) [sic] anyone who attempts to solve it".[11][10][12]

The Xenu story is part of the Church of Scientology's secret "Advanced Technology",[9] normally only revealed to members who have already contributed large amounts of money.[13] The church avoids mention of Xenu in public statements and has gone to considerable effort to maintain the story's confidentiality, including legal action on the grounds of both copyright and trade secrecy.[14] Despite this, much material on Xenu has leaked to the public via court documents, copies of Hubbard's notes, and the Internet.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

I can do a better job than that....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:40:02 PM by Rafa999 »
I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts

Offline ChristusDominus

• High Elder
  • Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:27:25 AM »
Not hard. http://www.venganza.org/
¡Qué blasfemia!
I find it strange that the name of the sight is Venganza, which in Spanish means vengeance.
La venganza de los idiotas (vengeance of the idiots). That should be the websites's name.
There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 04:37:46 AM »
Pastafarians are a great group.  :P  I know of no other group that stands up for the rights of homosexual robots.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »
I remember in session of navel gazing when I thought was it possible that the disciples REALLY thought that Jesus, Who was right before them just as a man, was God.  Then I thought about the various groups that believe that in our days about any number of men passing themselves off as false gods, and all doubt disappeared.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
Or, you could just do what one coworker of mine did.  He ended a "religious discussion" by stating "it all really does not matter.  Whomever you are worshiping, you are really worshiping me."  Then he excused himself from the conversation and we stared speechless.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
How hard would it be?

Hello ? Scientology.............
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:11 PM »
How hard would it be?

I think it would depend on the person. It'd be like asking "How hard is it to get an A in a physics course?" The answer will vary depending on the person. Now, I think almost all people create their own belief system, either taking parts from different belief systems, or picking and choosing what to take or emphasise from one belief system. It's just that some are better at it than others.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
How hard would it be?

I think it would depend on the person. It'd be like asking "How hard is it to get an A in a physics course?" The answer will vary depending on the person. Now, I think almost all people create their own belief system, either taking parts from different belief systems, or picking and choosing what to take or emphasise from one belief system. It's just that some are better at it than others.

One way to view religion is that it is 100% about your beliefs. However, that is one part of religion but not the whole story. More of it is about actual experience, some of it mystical and some of it concrete. All of it together leading to transformation of both soul and body, in the case of the Orthodox practice, becoming more like Christ.
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline CRCulver

• OC.net guru
  • St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi
    • ChristopherCulver.com
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Orthodox Church
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 09:47:34 PM »
Or, you could just do what one coworker of mine did.  He ended a "religious discussion" by stating "it all really does not matter.  Whomever you are worshiping, you are really worshiping me."  Then he excused himself from the conversation and we stared speechless.

This is in fact what really irks me about Hinduism. That faith is famously syncretic, able to incorporate any outside gods into its own pantheon. And indeed, in the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna does say that no matter what gods people worship, they are ultimately merely aspects of himself. But the result is that some Hindus suggest that they are more knowledgeable about what Jesus's teachings were really about than Christians, for Christians only have a limited view of the godhead, while Hindus can see the whole picture.

I actually have a lot more respect for those few fundamentalist Hindus who claim Jesus was a terrorist, since he didn't uphold traditional Indian beliefs about reverence to parents with the line "Who loves his mother or father more than Me is not worthy of me" and supposedly encouraged warfare with his remarks about swords. At least those Hindus are trying to treat faith rationally instead of incorporating Jesus into a clearly self-contradictory belief system and covering it up with repetitions of "I'm OK, you're OK".
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:49:36 PM by CRCulver »