Author Topic: Sewing vestments  (Read 3268 times)

Offline RLNM

Sewing vestments
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »
Has anyone tried to sew any sort of vestments? Was it particularly difficult, or about like any other sewing project? Did you have a pattern or did you improvise? Does anyone know where I could get a pattern for sewing an alterboy...robe? vestment? (never really thought about what they're called before).  Also, where is a good place to get the fabric?

Anyways, I'm one of the ones working on finding or making something for our alterboy.

Thanks
"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Re: Sewing vestments
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=MAKI110

Some vestment makers will tell you that you could never learn how to do it from patterns, and one even claimed that no such book as I linked above exists. Well, there you go--that book is by a priest and master tailor.  I doubt you'll be able to crank out fabulous vestments overnight, given the fact this is an art passed down, but you should be able to "get the job done" and improve as you go.
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »
It can be done. My late mother in law used to sew all of the dalmatics for the altar boys in her parish and my wife made a pair of vestments once for my father. It is difficult, but if you hang in there it can be done. There are a number of sites online where you can obtain the fabric and trim, even local fabric stores may have stock that might be appropriate or have books to order from. Good luck!

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
Does anyone know where I could get a pattern for sewing an alterboy...robe? vestment? (never really thought about what they're called before).

We call them sticharions.

Offline monkvasyl

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »
http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=MAKI110

Some vestment makers will tell you that you could never learn how to do it from patterns, and one even claimed that no such book as I linked above exists. Well, there you go--that book is by a priest and master tailor.  I doubt you'll be able to crank out fabulous vestments overnight, given the fact this is an art passed down, but you should be able to "get the job done" and improve as you go.

I've used that book and if you have any sewing skills  (I don't) they will come out pretty good.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline ilyazhito

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
How would you get started? Would you find an existing vestment maker and learn from them, or would you DIY? where can you get patterns?
P.S. I'm interested in learning how to make vestments (I have had some training in iconography and bell-ringing)

Offline Clare G.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:11 AM »
Have a look here http://kwvestments.com/opinionated_tailor/ and at her main site.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »
It can be done. My late mother in law used to sew all of the dalmatics for the altar boys in her parish and my wife made a pair of vestments once for my father. It is difficult, but if you hang in there it can be done. There are a number of sites online where you can obtain the fabric and trim, even local fabric stores may have stock that might be appropriate or have books to order from. Good luck!

FYI, my wife used the old vestments for more than a pattern, she took off the metallic galloon and emblem as well as the clasps and reused them in the new set. The remaining material was later burned with other old liturgical items by my father at the Church.

Offline ilyazhito

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »
Have a look here http://kwvestments.com/opinionated_tailor/ and at her main site.
Thanks! The book links are very interesting