OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Older Movies  (Read 2301 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »

Wuthering Heights

Didn't care much for what they did with Wuthering Heights.

My favourite version remains the 1992 one with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche, but the old one had some stunning B&W photography, and Laurence Olivier, who totally owns Heathcliff.

Interesting, I guess I haven't seen that version. I saw the old one (which I thought changed too much of the story); and I also saw another version (1970 I guess?) -- which was truer to the original story, but I found I didn't like it much anyway.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »

Nice thread btw. I'm afraid the really long threads that lump together all movies (or all TV shows or all music) don't do a lot for me.

I do not know what you want exactly. Do you want a description of each movie and why it is special? I am game for that, but I do not know how to enforce it in this thread. For my part I would have to watch each movie again anew (not a bad thing, but it would end up being one movie per month). I find it remarkable how much time people have available for watching movies.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »

Nice thread btw. I'm afraid the really long threads that lump together all movies (or all TV shows or all music) don't do a lot for me.

I do not know what you want exactly.

What I want?  Huh

I guess I want to post my opinions, same as anyone else.

Do you want a description of each movie and why it is special? I am game for that, but I do not know how to enforce it in this thread. For my part I would have to watch each movie again anew (not a bad thing, but it would end up being one movie per month). I find it remarkable how much time people have available for watching movies.

How does what you just said relate to my post?

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »

I do not know what you want exactly.

What I want?  Huh

I guess I want to post my opinions, same as anyone else.

Do you want a description of each movie and why it is special? I am game for that, but I do not know how to enforce it in this thread. For my part I would have to watch each movie again anew (not a bad thing, but it would end up being one movie per month). I find it remarkable how much time people have available for watching movies.

How does what you just said relate to my post?

Thanks for clarifying. I read your statement as a complaint about the posts that have already occurred in this thread.

The remainder was just me being talkative.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »

I LOVE old movies...almost any and all of them.  They just don't make them like that any more!

But, just like Pete J, I don't have time to watch.

I don't have cable/satellite so it just what the digital antenna can pull in.

This Christmas I actually went online and bought all these wonderful old B/W Christmas movies.  I couldn't wait for them to arrive so I could sit and enjoy.

Needless to say....they arrived....and are still in their wrappings.  Sad

Maybe, next year.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 04:43:18 AM »

Thanks for clarifying.

My pleasure.

Smiley

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »

Thanks for clarifying.

My pleasure.

Smiley

Thanks for the kind word, although I have this thing against smiley faces.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »

I am still trying to decide whether the 1960s represents older movies for me, since I was alive at the time.

This weekend I watched  Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (1967).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buU3cijsBdU&feature=em-share_video_user

I saw this movie about 30 years ago and it did not make much of an impression on me, with the exception of the piano concerto theme, which I started playing by ear and I did attempt to find the score with no success.

I have a different impression now and I watched the entire movie twice this weekend and I liked it better the second time.

It is a visually and aurally a beautiful movie. For me it was the right movie at the right moment in my life. It was the movie that I needed. There is no complexity to this movie, it is about the joy of life, about hope and about faith.

This is a  Jacques Demy movie that was remastered with Catherine Deneuve, Françoise Dorléac (Catherine's sister who died shortly afterwards), a very young Jacques Perrin (and like me you might not recognize him if you have only seen Cinema Paradiso, and I think he got the best song in the movie), Danielle Darrieux, with dancers George Chakiris, Grover Dale and Gene Kelly. Among the actors I was more impressed by Darrieux, Chakiris and Dale. I am not sure why yet.

One difference between now and 30 years ago is that Michel Legrand recitatives now constantly run through my veins so I emotionally connect with his songs which was not the case earlier.

fin

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »

The Omega Man

Cheesy

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:06 AM »

I'll keep this to 1980, but only because of the rest of the thread already took it into that territory.

To avoid much rehashing, I'll lump my first category together (with a few clarifications): Anything with Bogey- with special focus on his Sam Spade and Philip Marlow work, and Casablanca has some of the best dialogue ever.

Marx Brothers movies- Groucho's one-liners have yet to be topped.

Abbot and Costello movies.

Errol Flynn movies.

The Mark of Zorro- the only movie which has possibly topped the duel between Powers and Rathbone is The Princess Bride.

I didn't see them listed in my browsing of the earlier posts- Sergio Leone's loose trilogy featuring The Man With No Name (with of course much appreciation of Kurosowa's Yojimbo and whole output).

Monty Python gets a +1.

Early Mel Brooks. A world without Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles is a poor place indeed- Brooks would also end up on a list of favorite older tv shows, thanks to Get Smart.

Early Kubrick gets a +1.

Connery Bond, and I liked Lazenby as well.

I forgive what Richard Lester did to Superman based on A Hard Day's Night and How I Won the War.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

Planet of the Apes.

The Godfather parts I and II.

Apocalypse Now.

Batman. No, not that one. No, not that one either, they would both be too late in the time line. That one, the one with Bat Shark Repellant and Lee Meriwether.

Superman.

The Great Dictator.

Forbidden Planet.

This Island Earth.

Bruce Lee. Everything.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Don't judge me.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 04:50:24 AM »

The Maltese Falcon came on yesterday and I was super excited, right up to the point I fell asleep and missed all but the first 10 minutes.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2013, 03:02:25 AM »

^ this happens to me as well sometimes Kerdy.

This evening I watched My Man Godfrey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Men_fKEhzPA&feature=em-share_video_user

Last weekend I watched My Fair Lady. (Taken off of youtube for copyright infringement).

I preferred My Man Godfrey.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »

^ this happens to me as well sometimes Kerdy.

This evening I watched My Man Godfrey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Men_fKEhzPA&feature=em-share_video_user

Last weekend I watched My Fair Lady. (Taken off of youtube for copyright infringement).

I preferred My Man Godfrey.
Me too.  It's a great movie!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: