Author Topic: Widower Priests  (Read 869 times)

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
Widower Priests
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
In the case of widower priests, do they often continue functioning as parish priests, or do they instead enter monastic life?  Is it perfectly acceptable for a widower priest to not enter monastic life (perhaps for health reasons)?  Just wondering. 

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
Re: Widower Priests
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
Depends on the priest.

Most priests in the US have some sort of Health Insurance paid for by the parish through the Diocese, so I don't see why their decision would be based on health.

Just because a priest retires from the priesthood doesn't mean he has to pack up and move to Mt. Athos!  ;)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
Christ is Risen!
Ta Criost eirithe!

If a widowed priest feels called to the monastic life he will be able to test his vocation in a monastery.   The final decision as to whether he becomes a monk or not will lie in the hands of the abbot in consultation with the monastery's council of elders.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »
In the case of widower priests, do they often continue functioning as parish priests,

Yes.  I know of two cases in my metropolitan area where a widowed Priest continued to serve after becoming a widower.

or do they instead enter monastic life?  Is it perfectly acceptable for a widower priest to not enter monastic life (perhaps for health reasons)?  Just wondering. 

A widowed Priest is eligible to be elevated to Bishop.  However, in the USA, widowed Priests do not enter monastic life.

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »

A widowed Priest is eligible to be elevated to Bishop.  However, in the USA, widowed Priests do not enter monastic life.

Thank you for this information. 

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »
Christ is Risen!
Ta Criost eirithe!

Is there a reason for that in the USA?  In the "home" countries widowed priests have the option of monastic life if they feel that God is calling them to it.  It's seen as a normal thing to do.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »
And there is also the Greek custom of bestowing the honorary title Archimandrite to a retiring widower-priest, even though that priest has not entered a monastery. It's like a military officer gaining an extra rank on retiring.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline observer

• High Elder
  • Vivre die Raznitsa!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
The title Archimandrite is often given to celebate priests who are not monks
Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)

Offline Cymbyz

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:40 AM »
I know of one GOA widower priest who is on the official list of priests certifiably eligible to become bishops.  I actually met and know the man; he'd make a great bishop, IMHO.
The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »
Christ is Risen!
Ta Criost eirithe!

Is there a reason for that in the USA?  In the "home" countries widowed priests have the option of monastic life if they feel that God is calling them to it.  It's seen as a normal thing to do.

Bishop Nikon, Bishop of Boston, New England, and the Albanian Archdiocese, is also a Widowed Priest.  The OCA and GOA feel it is appropriate to elevate Widowed Priests to Bishops via Economia.

Bishop Nikon's Biography from the OCA