OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 09:59:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meat products in church  (Read 692 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: April 08, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »

My church has always forbidden bringing meat products into the sanctuary.  This is most notable at Pascha, when folks who bring baskets to be blessed (filled with kovbasa, ham, etc.) inadvertently bring them into the church.  It's okay to leave them in the Narthex, however, one cannot bring them inside the church proper.

As a rule, our baskets get blessed either outside, or in the church hall.

Perusing the Web, I have noticed many photos of Paschal baskets being lined up inside the churches, awaiting to get blessed (see below).

So, is this just a local custom or is there an actual "rule" forbidding bringing meat into the church?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

We aren't allowed to bring any food into the church outside of the red eggs, the eucharist and blessed bread.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »

We aren't allowed to bring any food into the church outside of the red eggs, the eucharist and blessed bread.

And the kolyva/boiled wheat, and wine and oil, I'm sure.

So, is this just a local custom or is there an actual "rule" forbidding bringing meat into the church? 

Rule? Not that I'm aware of.  Then again, coming from the Greek tradition, we don't bless food baskets in Church typically.  Kolyva, Bread, Wheat, Wine, Oil, Eggs, and Grapes - that list essentially covers all the foods we bless in our Churches.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

Father didn't mention anything about such a rule when he told us to bring the baskets in to be blessed, so I'm not sure.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »

I haven't seen anyone take any boiled wheat, oil or wine outside the Eucharist into the church. That doesn't mean it isn't allowed, just that no one does it. I know that when it comes to blessing baskets of food we do it downstairs in the fellowship area.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »

I haven't seen anyone take any boiled wheat, oil or wine outside the Eucharist into the church. That doesn't mean it isn't allowed, just that no one does it. I know that when it comes to blessing baskets of food we do it downstairs in the fellowship area.

Father does two basket blessings: one on Holy Saturday at the Church Hall and one on Pascha immediately following Divine Liturgy in the temple. (This is to accommodate all the C&E's who only show up on Pascha. Smiley )

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »

Must be a local custom. I know that there was sausage in this particular basket and I've seen baskets with Happy Meals (kids, of course) and McDonald's hamburgers.

All I did was shrink the picture. - Fr. George, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:47:22 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »

It seems to me it is a local custom. My churches over the years held blessings in the Church hall or outside, depending on weather. In the 1960's there were literally 1500 baskets brought for blessing in Binghamton, NY, by a lot of C and E folks, so there were multiple blessings. In the coal towns of Northeast PA, the priest would spend much of Holy Saturday being taken by the cantor to various neighborhoods in the 'patch' as they called it since people were remote from the church and bringing baskets without a car was tough. This was true with the Metropolia, Ukrainian and ACROD parishes in that region. I wonder if that was the case in other regions?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: