OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 12:31:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arian Christianity?  (Read 4446 times) Average Rating: 0
Vintage

« on: April 08, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »

Are there any Arianists (Arian Christians) in the world today, and what exactly do they believe?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »

Jehovah's Witnesses.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ndigila

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria (Archdiocese of Kenya)

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »

http://arian-catholic.org/

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »

I checked out the website. All I can say is, ewwwwwwww. I feel like I need a shower now.

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »

This group acts like Evangelicals and is actually invited to participate with them in my city. Note their statement of beliefs clearly denies the divinity of the Holy Spirit, and avoids proclaiming the divinity of Christ.
http://www.abc-coggc.org/statement_of_faith.html
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »

I am not sure though whether Arius opposed the doctrine of the Holy Spirit's divinity. Arius' main theology and heresy were concerned with the origin and nature of the Son (Logos).

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »

Are there any Arianists (Arian Christians) in the world today, and what exactly do they believe?

Jehovah's (actually, Arius') Witnesses
Unitarian Universalists
Christadelphians
(Some) 7th Day Adventists (possibly)

These are the major groups that come to my mind.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »

As a side note, people who consider Islam a heresy of Christian origin may label it basically Arian. This is because the Qur'an teaches that Jesus was given by Allah even the authority to create, but it also overtly denies Jesus' divinity. There are significant signs of Arian and Nestorian influence on the Islamic scripture.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

As far as I understand, the 7th Day Adventist denomination is Trinitarian.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »

This group acts like Evangelicals and is actually invited to participate with them in my city. Note their statement of beliefs clearly denies the divinity of the Holy Spirit, and avoids proclaiming the divinity of Christ.
The dangers of sola scriptura.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:29 PM »

The dangers of sola scriptura.

Well, if they really payed attention to the scriptures in the first place, then they wouldn't be Arian. The need to read John 1:1, though with the English translation, many Protestants have come to believe that the Word spoken about is actually the Bible.  Roll Eyes
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »

They are, but can often be confused with the JWs because both groups make the claim that the Archangel Michael and our Lord Jesus Christ are one and the same.  With the JWs the claim is used to allow Christ to approach divinity without actually being divine. With the Seventh Day Adventists it has more to do with a confusion of the "Angel of the LORD" in the Old Testament with the Archangel Michael, using passages where certain Israelites (specifically Samson's parents) fell down and worshiped in conjunction with the passage in the St John's Revelation where the angel that John attempts to bow to tells him most emphatically not to do so.  So to their mind the Archangel Michael is one and the same with the "Angel of the LORD", and the "Angel of the LORD" receives worship, the Archangel Michael must be divine, and since there is only the Trinity, then the Archangel Michael must be one of the Trinity, specifically the Lord Jesus Christ.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:19:17 AM »

They are, but can often be confused with the JWs because both groups make the claim that the Archangel Michael and our Lord Jesus Christ are one and the same.  With the JWs the claim is used to allow Christ to approach divinity without actually being divine. With the Seventh Day Adventists it has more to do with a confusion of the "Angel of the LORD" in the Old Testament with the Archangel Michael, using passages where certain Israelites (specifically Samson's parents) fell down and worshiped in conjunction with the passage in the St John's Revelation where the angel that John attempts to bow to tells him most emphatically not to do so.  So to their mind the Archangel Michael is one and the same with the "Angel of the LORD", and the "Angel of the LORD" receives worship, the Archangel Michael must be divine, and since there is only the Trinity, then the Archangel Michael must be one of the Trinity, specifically the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Adventists have a very muddy history when it comes to Christology and theology. They were some sort of Arians for a while, at least. Even now, their theology is not Orthodox. They are just a bunch of confused sectarians.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:23:33 AM by augustin717 » Logged
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 04:14:49 AM »

No! Not if you mean in the Apostolic succession sense. The old Arians of the 4th century are gone.

Yes! In the sense everyone else already mentioned.

Christ is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:17:05 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 04:19:28 AM »

They are, but can often be confused with the JWs because both groups make the claim that the Archangel Michael and our Lord Jesus Christ are one and the same.  With the JWs the claim is used to allow Christ to approach divinity without actually being divine. With the Seventh Day Adventists it has more to do with a confusion of the "Angel of the LORD" in the Old Testament with the Archangel Michael, using passages where certain Israelites (specifically Samson's parents) fell down and worshiped in conjunction with the passage in the St John's Revelation where the angel that John attempts to bow to tells him most emphatically not to do so.  So to their mind the Archangel Michael is one and the same with the "Angel of the LORD", and the "Angel of the LORD" receives worship, the Archangel Michael must be divine, and since there is only the Trinity, then the Archangel Michael must be one of the Trinity, specifically the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Adventists have a very muddy history when it comes to Christology and theology. They were some sort of Arians for a while, at least. Even now, their theology is not Orthodox. They are just a bunch of confused sectarians.

Yes, you are correct! You seem to know alot about the history and theology of Adventists. Are there alot of adventists in Romania? I know they are in Russia.

Christ is Risen!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »

Yes, you are correct! You seem to know alot about the history and theology of Adventists. Are there alot of adventists in Romania? I know they are in Russia.

Christ is Risen!

Indeed He is risen!

There are 7-Day in Romania, but many got out during communism: Ceaucescu used them and other Protestants to prove there was religious freedom in Romania because he let them go (yeah, doesn't make much sense, but the US State Dept. bought it from Carter onward to let Romania have "Most Favored" Trading status).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:05 AM »

There aren't that many Adventists in Romania.
What I know about them, I know because I happened to have a bit of contact with few of then many years ago, when they invited me at one or two of their proselytizing campaigns.
It didn't have any effect on me, but with the literature  I got, I learned a bit about them and their funny restaurationist claims, also shared by JW, the Mormons and a few other sects.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:13:11 PM »

There aren't that many Adventists in Romania.
What I know about them, I know because I happened to have a bit of contact with few of then many years ago, when they invited me at one or two of their proselytizing campaigns.
It didn't have any effect on me, but with the literature  I got, I learned a bit about them and their funny restaurationist claims, also shared by JW, the Mormons and a few other sects.

I'm puzzled by how such beliefs get spread abroad like that. Its strange that a religion founded in a city which is a short drive from where I live is spreading in the world. The same applies for JWs and Mormons which are also American made faiths.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

Didn't the Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses start out as the same sect?  Didn't they both descend from the Millerite movement, along with the Branch Davidians, of Waco infamy?  I don't know much about them, but I think one may have spun off from the other.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »

Didn't the Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses start out as the same sect?  Didn't they both descend from the Millerite movement, along with the Branch Davidians, of Waco infamy?  I don't know much about them, but I think one may have spun off from the other.

Yes, they both have roots from the Millerite movement. The only difference is that the Jehovah Witnesses directly broke off from the First Day Adventists........which is a sister church of the Seventh Day Adventists.

The 1st day and 7th day Adventists both came from the Millerite movement, and they went their separate ways over the issue of the Sabbath.....and probably Ellen G. White.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:27 AM »

'Arian Christianity' is an oxymoron for me.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »

'Arian Christianity' is an oxymoron for me.
Agreed

Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »

As a side note, people who consider Islam a heresy of Christian origin may label it basically Arian. This is because the Qur'an teaches that Jesus was given by Allah even the authority to create, but it also overtly denies Jesus' divinity. There are significant signs of Arian and Nestorian influence on the Islamic scripture.

Nestorian influence? How?
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »

Not since 586, when King Reccared I of Spain converted the Visigoths (then rulers of Hispania) to Orthodox/Catholic Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reccared
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »

"A simple fact is that although it is believed Jesus Christ travelled to different countries, there is powerful evidence that he spent most of his life in England "

Well there ya go.  Cheesy

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Alonso_castillo
Elder

Jurisdiction: Arquidiósesis de Guadalajara (México)

Me when younger

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »

The problem with them is that they proclame that St Michael Arcangel is the same Jesus preincarnated.

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit Domum
in vanum laboraverunt qui aedifcant eam
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem
frustra vigilant qui custodit Eam
Tags: Arianism  Arian Millerite Seventh Day Adventist Jehovah's Witnesses heresy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: