Author Topic: I know true Christianity now......  (Read 9072 times)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: I know true Christianity now......
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
I did not realize that the Patriarchate of Antioch was openly in communion with those outside our Church.  Other might be encouraged by this, but frankly I am disturbed. I know that I am in no position to judge as I haven't the slightest idea how hard it is to be a Christian in the Near-East. I realize that there is a very limited access to any Christian Church at all in many areas. But even still, I am bothered by the implications of this decision. However, I am not a bishop, let alone baptized, so these matters are supposed to be beyond my areas of concern.
He is not in communion with them. There are no joint services. Believers are only allowed to participate in sacraments.

Yes, but the agreement effectively recognizes the efficacy in what the Orientals believe are the Mysteries of Christ. The Orthodox Church in Antioch is agreeing that taking these so-called Mysteries are to the benefit of the salvation of their faithful Christians. I think that the implications behind this are dangerous.

So as not to be offensive to or misunderstood by the Oriental posters, I am not saying that you do not have effective so-called Mysteries outright. I am simply trying to avoid explicitly acknowledging the validity of such so-called Mysteries, because of the huge theological problems that it would create to outright acknowledge them as such, when they are beyond of the visible parameters of the Orthodox Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:38:30 AM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Christianus

• Elder
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:32 AM »
Well I know that Jesus taught that the Eucharist was his body, but I have a hard time believing in the Eucharist.

Me: I know that Jesus taught it, but I frankly don't believe it yet. (in a way I want to)
Protestant: doesn't believe that Jesus taught that, and believes "fully" in Jesus.

I remember one time, my roman catholic mother took me to Church. I ate the eucharist (even though I wasn't baptised in the church, because of my Dad's protestant's family's side) and I felt good even though I didn't understand it.

But now that I understand it, I have a hard time believing in the Eucharist.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »

That's interesting, because it's exactly the opposite with me: I believe in the Eucharist, but I don't understand it.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Christianus

• Elder
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »

That's interesting, because it's exactly the opposite with me: I believe in the Eucharist, but I don't understand it.

Selam
I meant; I understood what it means.not how it worked.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »

Selam

Okay.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:12 AM »

Don't sweat about the "how it worked". It's a MYSTERY. The bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ. Period. Orthodoxy is full of stuff which is beyond rational comprehension. And, before anyone accuses me of being some ignorant sort who is ignorant of science and reason, I have been trained in, and have worked in, for the last 24 years, in a discipline which is based on high-grade science. Yet, I have no problem accommodating science with Orthodoxy.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Christianus

• Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »
Could I be a rich orthodox believer?
Doesn't Christianity hate rich people and money?

Offline Christianus

• Elder
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »

Don't sweat about the "how it worked". It's a MYSTERY. The bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ. Period. Orthodoxy is full of stuff which is beyond rational comprehension. And, before anyone accuses me of being some ignorant sort who is ignorant of science and reason, I have been trained in, and have worked in, for the last 24 years, in a discipline which is based on high-grade science. Yet, I have no problem accommodating science with Orthodoxy.
High grade science?
What exactly?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Doesn't Christianity teach to love one's neighbors and enemies as oneself hate rich people and money?

Hate is such a strong word.   ;)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »
Doesn't Christianity hate rich people and money?

Some emperors and tsars were wealthy and were still saints.

Christianity hates the love of money, not money itself. Look at all of the gold and silver in the Orthodox temples.

The more you have financially, the more responsibility falls on you for almsgiving and charity, as well as donations to churches and monasteries.