OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:51:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appropriate troparia/katavasia for baptism in Paschal time  (Read 728 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

For most infant baptisms that I have chanted, as we process into the church after the exorcisms, the chanters chant both the Theophany Troparion "When Thou O Lord was baptized" and the Pentecost Troparion "Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God."  But as this is the Paschal season, do we dispense with those troparia and instead sing the Paschal Troparion?  Also, after the baptism and the during the vesting, it is customary to sing the Katavasiae of the Cross in tone 8.  Should those also be dispensed with and the Katavasiae of Pascha be chanted instead?

Many thanks, O learned liturgical experts.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »

For most infant baptisms that I have chanted, as we process into the church after the exorcisms, the chanters chant both the Theophany Troparion "When Thou O Lord was baptized" and the Pentecost Troparion "Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God."  But as this is the Paschal season, do we dispense with those troparia and instead sing the Paschal Troparion?  Also, after the baptism and the during the vesting, it is customary to sing the Katavasiae of the Cross in tone 8.  Should those also be dispensed with and the Katavasiae of Pascha be chanted instead?

This must be a very idiosyncratic custom of the Antiochians (?) since the books do not ask for any of these troparia to be sung.
Not that I am a liturgical expert, or any sort of expert, by any means.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:13:55 AM by augustin717 » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »

For most infant baptisms that I have chanted, as we process into the church after the exorcisms, the chanters chant both the Theophany Troparion "When Thou O Lord was baptized" and the Pentecost Troparion "Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God."  But as this is the Paschal season, do we dispense with those troparia and instead sing the Paschal Troparion?  Also, after the baptism and the during the vesting, it is customary to sing the Katavasiae of the Cross in tone 8.  Should those also be dispensed with and the Katavasiae of Pascha be chanted instead?

This must be a very idiosyncratic custom of the Antiochians (?) since the books do not ask for any of these troparia to be sung.
Not that I am a liturgical expert, or any sort of expert, by any means.

Why do you consider this Antiochian practice to be idiosyncratic? Is it because you have looked at the practices of other Orthodox Churches or because the practice in the Romanian Church is different?

Also, while the limited number of on-line service books that I looked at simply jump from the Service of Catechumens to Holy Baptism, what would be wrong if a hymn or two are chanted to bridge the two services?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:28:19 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »

For most infant baptisms that I have chanted, as we process into the church after the exorcisms, the chanters chant both the Theophany Troparion "When Thou O Lord was baptized" and the Pentecost Troparion "Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God."  But as this is the Paschal season, do we dispense with those troparia and instead sing the Paschal Troparion?  Also, after the baptism and the during the vesting, it is customary to sing the Katavasiae of the Cross in tone 8.  Should those also be dispensed with and the Katavasiae of Pascha be chanted instead?

I've never seen a rubric indicating that anything should be chanted between the making of a catechumen and the start of the Baptism proper.  We do in my parish - saying the Apolytikion of Theophany (As You were baptized in the Jordan, O Lord...) three times - but I do not think I've seen it written into any prayer books.

That said - yes, I'd probably switch to singing "Christ is Risen."  I've not seen any indication that when baptisms are performed during Bright Week the hymn of Theophany (or Pentecost, for that matter) should be included.  The entire week is filled with two constants: singing "Christ is Risen" many times, and singing "All those who have been baptized into Christ..." at every Liturgy.  Stick with that formula, IMO.

As to your Katavasiae question: yes, switch.  This is one thing I definitely have seen - in the Priest's prayer book (actually, in two different translations of said book) they include both the Katavasiae of the Cross and of Pascha.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:33:11 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:26 PM »

^Fr. George, as always, I bow before your knowledge of all things liturgical.  thanks. Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: