OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 07:20:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ionian Village Family Camp  (Read 2426 times) Average Rating: 0
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« on: March 22, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »

IONIAN VILLAGE FAMILY CAMP EARLY REGISTRATION FEES EXTENDED UNTIL APRIL 9, 2010

NEW YORK – Ionian Village Family Camp, a collaboration of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese offices of Ionian Village and the Center for Family Care, has extended its early registration deadline until April 9, 2010 for its inaugural Family Camp to be held July 17-26, 2010.

Families who participate in Ionian Village travel across Greece to venerate the relics of saints, walk in the footsteps of the Apostles, and visit significant sites of Greek history and culture. At the end of the program, families return to their homes with strengthened faith and a greater appreciation for the Church and Greek culture.

For more information about the program or to register for Summer Camp 2010 visit www.ionianvillage.org or contact the Ionian Village Family Camp at 845.424.8175 or the Center for Family Care at familycare@goarch.org.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:39:13 PM »

Sounds like an amazing journey, and I've no doubt that one would return with a strengthened faith.  But, with a seeming emphasis on the Orthodox faith, it's seems a bit odd to hold up Greek culture along with the Orthodox faith as if to say the two are synonymous. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »

They're like peanut butter and chocolate. Two great tastes that are even better together.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:13:23 PM »

Sounds like an amazing journey, and I've no doubt that one would return with a strengthened faith.  But, with a seeming emphasis on the Orthodox faith, it's seems a bit odd to hold up Greek culture along with the Orthodox faith as if to say the two are synonymous.  

For 2,000 years it has been.  However, I don't like adding Delphi, Acro Corinth, etc. to the tour stops - I think it is Western European influence that makes us say "Greek=Plato/Socrates/12 Gods/etc" rather than "Greek=Orthodox."  (The Parthenon I get - it was a Christian church longer than it was a pagan temple).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »

I don't mean to sound contentious, but this is like saying that Irish culture and Roman Catholicism are two sides of the same coin.  They may have influenced one another, but they're not the same.  And so it is with the Greek culture and Orthodoxy.  The two may or may not be entwined (moreso in certain parts of Greece than in others), but I submit that the two are not synonymous.  To me, saying that the two are the same, or at least compliment one another, is an ethnocentric paradigm and A. has no place in Orthodoxy and B. has lead to the jurisdictional problems we're now facing in the U.S.  Again, I'm not trying to ruffle any one person's feathers here, but this way of thinking has got to be dismantled, IMO.  I wonder how such an outlook looks at Galatians 3:28?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:22:59 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
franthonyc

Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »

I don't mean to sound contentious, but this is like saying that Irish culture and Roman Catholicism are two sides of the same coin.  They may have influenced one another, but they're not the same.  And so it is with the Greek culture and Orthodoxy.  The two may or may not be entwined (moreso in certain parts of Greece than in others), but I submit that the two are not synonymous.  To me, saying that the two are the same, or at least compliment one another, is an ethnocentric paradigm and A. has no place in Orthodoxy and B. has lead to the jurisdictional problems we're now facing in the U.S.  Again, I'm not trying to ruffle any one person's feathers here, but this way of thinking has got to be dismantled, IMO.  I wonder how such an outlook looks at Galatians 3:28?

There was a time when Greek culture among the Greeks was all but entirely subjugated to the Orthodox Faith. Since the late 1700's, that has changed, creating what is indeed currently a conflict between a secularized-at-best/paganized-at-worst Hellenism and authentic Greek Orthodoxy. It is THIS current way of thinking that needs to be dismantled, if any.

For all that, while I agree with Fr. George's broader point, it would be a shame to be in Greece and not see the older historical sites. They have significance in terms of history, philosophy, and the development of the mindset that we identify as "Western" and civilized, and besides that are just plain cool. In the same way, I can't fathom going to Rome and visiting nothing but the churches. Just because we're Christians doesn't mean we have to pretend that there's never been anything else. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:00:40 PM by franthonyc » Logged

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »

I don't mean to sound contentious, but this is like saying that Irish culture and Roman Catholicism are two sides of the same coin.  They may have influenced one another, but they're not the same.  And so it is with the Greek culture and Orthodoxy.  The two may or may not be entwined (moreso in certain parts of Greece than in others), but I submit that the two are not synonymous.  To me, saying that the two are the same, or at least compliment one another, is an ethnocentric paradigm and A. has no place in Orthodoxy and B. has lead to the jurisdictional problems we're now facing in the U.S.  Again, I'm not trying to ruffle any one person's feathers here, but this way of thinking has got to be dismantled, IMO.  I wonder how such an outlook looks at Galatians 3:28?

There was a time when Greek culture among the Greeks was all but entirely subjugated to the Orthodox Faith. Since the late 1700's, that has changed, creating what is indeed currently a conflict between a secularized-at-best/paganized-at-worst Hellenism and authentic Greek Orthodoxy. It is THIS current way of thinking that needs to be dismantled, if any.

Bless, Father

You're probably on to something, yet I'd caution anyone who points to a culture when defining Orthodoxy (or any religion for that matter.)

Reverencing your hand...

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:50 PM »

I don't mean to sound contentious, but this is like saying that Irish culture and Roman Catholicism are two sides of the same coin.  They may have influenced one another, but they're not the same.  And so it is with the Greek culture and Orthodoxy.  The two may or may not be entwined (moreso in certain parts of Greece than in others), but I submit that the two are not synonymous.  To me, saying that the two are the same, or at least compliment one another, is an ethnocentric paradigm and A. has no place in Orthodoxy and B. has lead to the jurisdictional problems we're now facing in the U.S.  Again, I'm not trying to ruffle any one person's feathers here, but this way of thinking has got to be dismantled, IMO.  I wonder how such an outlook looks at Galatians 3:28? 

I actually think it was only a one-sided flow: Greek was Orthodox, but Orthodoxy was not fully contained in Greek (just as it is not in Russian, Ukranian, Egyptian, etc.).  Yes, that has changed, and yes, that is significant.  But, as Fr. Anthony points out, "There was a time when Greek culture among the Greeks was all but entirely subjugated to the Orthodox Faith."  I think it is that sort of element that they are using as promotion in the trip - it's not to hold Greek-ness as a paragon of Orthodoxy, but rather to highlight those things that are inherently Orthodox in Greek culture.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »

For all that, while I agree with Fr. George's broader point, it would be a shame to be in Greece and not see the older historical sites. They have significance in terms of history, philosophy, and the development of the mindset that we identify as "Western" and civilized, and besides that are just plain cool. In the same way, I can't fathom going to Rome and visiting nothing but the churches. Just because we're Christians doesn't mean we have to pretend that there's never been anything else. Smiley

I don't disagree generally, but I do think it can be problematic when a trip is marketed as an Orthodox camp.  I suppose it largely depends on how the sites are "handled" with respect to the Mission of the trip/camp.

---------------------
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »

What do you make with the fact the the culture has carried the religion along with it. In the same way the Theotokos carried Christ. Do we do away with the barrier of god in just the same way?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »

Sounds like an amazing journey, and I've no doubt that one would return with a strengthened faith.  But, with a seeming emphasis on the Orthodox faith, it's seems a bit odd to hold up Greek culture along with the Orthodox faith as if to say the two are synonymous. 

You're in Greece. It's an opportunity to learn more about your faith, and learn more about the country you happen to be in.

I mean, it would be silly to travel to a foreign country and NOT learn about the culture while you are there.

I have many friends who have spent the summer volunteering at IVF, and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

What do you make with the fact the the culture has carried the religion along with it.
Has it?

In the same way the Theotokos carried Christ.
You serious, chief?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »

You're in Greece. It's an opportunity to learn more about your faith, and learn more about the country you happen to be in.

Highlight the word and, and you got yourself a date.  Try and make 'em synonymous and you're going by yourself.  Wink

franthonyc

Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »

I don't disagree generally, but I do think it can be problematic when a trip is marketed as an Orthodox camp.  I suppose it largely depends on how the sites are "handled" with respect to the Mission of the trip/camp.

Granted. Smiley

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »

You serious, chief?

Yes, I'm serious. From my point of view. Someone living in a Glass house shouldn't cast any stones.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 04:08:10 AM »

You serious, chief?

Yes, I'm serious. From my point of view. Someone living in a Glass house shouldn't cast any stones.

Your analogy is lost on me.  And I didn't mean to sound as if I were throwing stones.  Pointing out problematic situations isn't the same as throwing stones.  One is meant to correct or qualify, the other is meant to hurt or cause pain.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 04:40:16 AM »

I really thought Mr. Panos' goofiness was just good ol' fashioned parody.  Seems some of y'all really believe it's the ... GospelShocked  Wink 

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »

You serious, chief?

Your analogy is lost on me.  And I didn't mean to sound as if I were throwing stones.  Pointing out problematic situations isn't the same as throwing stones.  One is meant to correct or qualify, the other is meant to hurt or cause pain.

From my point of view a person who is named Gabrielthecelt and is a Fenian through and through isn't the type who is looking to disassociate himself from a culture. Hence the stone remark. Now if the RCC didn't go astray we wouldn't be having this little squabble over culture because you would be very happy with yours. I truly understand that it is difficult for different ethnic groups to fully embrace a culture not of there own even if they believe in the Church that the culture has is true. The real question is if one should lose there identity to satisfy the other or should an Identity be filled with the church individually? I believe it is the latter. But because you can't change the latter "your culture" you direct it to the other "my culture". I believe your animosity should be directed to your people rather than the changing of the unchangeable, an Identity. Make Irish Orthodox priests and bishops and conquer and take back your people my friend. +Kali Anastasi

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »

You serious, chief?

From my point of view a person who is named Gabrielthecelt and is a Fenian through and through isn't the type who is looking to disassociate himself from a culture. Hence the stone remark. Now if the RCC didn't go astray we wouldn't be having this little squabble over culture because you would be very happy with yours. I truly understand that it is difficult for different ethnic groups to fully embrace a culture not of there own even if they believe in the Church that the culture has is true. The real question is if one should lose there identity to satisfy the other or should an Identity be filled with the church individually? I believe it is the latter. But because you can't change the latter "your culture" you direct it to the other "my culture". I believe your animosity should be directed to your people rather than the changing of the unchangeable, an Identity. Make Irish Orthodox priests and bishops and conquer and take back your people my friend. +Kali Anastasi

I think you're missing GtC's point entirely.  He's not trying to denigrate Greek culture or say that people should disassociate themselves from any ethnic or cultural times one may have either by blood or choice.  His point is that, in the 21st century, Orthodoxy and Greek culture are not as intertwined as they were historically.  I know I certainly agree with him that saying a simple visit to Greece (specific Orthodox related sites such as Mt. Athos notwithstanding) will de facto enrich one's spiritual life is a bit much.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

I know I certainly agree with him that saying a simple visit to Greece (specific Orthodox related sites such as Mt. Athos notwithstanding) will de facto enrich one's spiritual life is a bit much.

But it's not a "simple visit to Greece." It's an Orthodox summer camp, designed and led by priests and theologians, including catechism classes, group worship, pilgrimages, and excursions to sites of cultural and historical interest.

Every church-related camp includes "cultural" activities that are of interest to the people attending. Sometimes it's playing football, going swimming, or watching a secular movie. In this case, it's learning about and experiencing firsthand an ancient land. Personally, I'd say the latter option is superior to the former. In either case, such things entice people to come in the first place and offer variety. To paraphrase Hamlet, there are more things in heaven and earth than theology. And, as several holy elders have said, if you want to be a saint, become a human being first.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »

You serious, chief?

Your analogy is lost on me.  And I didn't mean to sound as if I were throwing stones.  Pointing out problematic situations isn't the same as throwing stones.  One is meant to correct or qualify, the other is meant to hurt or cause pain.

I have no animosity towards the Greek culture.  In my limited exposure thus far, I like it.  The music, the food, the coffee- check, check and double check.  But if I could boil my whole point down to a bumper sticker, it'd go a little sump'n like this-  "Greek culture ≠ Eastern Orthodox Christianity". 

No matter how many religious shrines there are in Ireland (and there are many), and no matter how much the RCC has influenced Irish culture, I'm not brazen enough to suggest the two are remotely close to being the same thing.  I don't even think I'd go as far as to say "They're like peanut butter and chocolate. Two great tastes that are even better together."  That's cute, but it seems to imply that they compliment one another.  They do not, IME.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:46:08 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »

I'll have to again disagree with you because the Russians and many eastern cultures have embraced Orthodoxy and they do not call themselves Greeks. And if Greece were to be eliminated today I'm quite sure Orthodoxy would still exist, but I can certainly not deny the fact the 90% of the Epistles in the new testament were in fact written to the Greeks. As to Why God chose the Greeks. You will have to ask him.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »

I'll have to again disagree with you because the Russians and many eastern cultures have embraced Orthodoxy and they do not call themselves Greeks. And if Greece were to be eliminated today I'm quite sure Orthodoxy would still exist, ...
Brother, I don't think you've understood a single thing I've said.

but I can certainly not deny the fact the 90% of the Epistles in the new testament were in fact written to the Greeks. As to Why God chose the Greeks. You will have to ask him.
God chose the Greeks?   

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: