OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:20:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bright Week traditions?  (Read 2037 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 05, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »

One of the many aspects about Orthodoxy that I love is the fact that Pascha isn't just one day and then it's back to the same 'ol same 'ol.  If I understand correctly, the entire Bright Week is supposed to be a festive occasion (witness that there is no fasting all week).  I thought it would be nice if Orthodox Christians could all share Bright Week traditions with each other.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:22:13 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »

Unfortunately I've never been able to take off from work/school for Bright Week.

I have heard of the below Ukrainian (and Russian, I think) tradition:

On Easter Monday, the men and young boys visit the homes of their friends where they throw water on the women, usually on their hands. In doing do they say "Christos Voskres!" (Christ is Risen!) while the girls reply "Voyistynu Voskres!"(Indeed He is Risen!). Many times the young men like to have fun when they go "polyvaty" and go beyond the bounds. They probably will pour buckets of water on the girl or lead her to a well and give her a good soaking. Easter Tuesday is the time when the women take revenge on the men. That is their day for "polyvanja". This custom is a very sociable one since it brings together the young people. Also as a result of it, enemies forget their differences and become friends. It is considered bad luck if a home is passed by during the "polyvanja.”

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:45:20 PM »

Not really a tradition, perhaps, but my fondest (and most romantic by far) memory of Bright Week was visiting a remote and delapitated monastery in the outskirts of Kyiv on a Bright Tuesday. I met a novice there, with whom I had become friends. He was very cute and we spent the whole afternoon on a long walk through the forests and he showed me all his favourite spots and took me around the neighbourhood to meet all the local grannies, etc. He gave me a gift of monastery honey and pulled chunks of Pascha bread from his pockets, which we ate together. I wasn't yet Orthodox then, and I remember telling him about my church and him shaking his head and saying, "But you can't force people to live like that!". He took me to the bus stop and as I prepared to board it, he bowed and said "Christos Voskrese!". It was one of the best days of my life. Not a tradition, as I said earlier, just a fond, sentimental memory of happier times...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »

@ Handmaidenofgod - what is the symbolism of throwing water?

Also, more of a liturgical tradition:  the prayer to the Holy Spirit, "O Heavenly King", said in almost every Orthodox prayer service is NOT said from Paschal matins (the first service of the Pentecostarion), which begins at midnight on the Sunday of Pascha, until the Vespers service for Pentecost. Anywhere this prayer occurs it is omitted, and until Ascension Thursday, is substituted with the Paschal troparion (Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life), sung three times. We are like the Apostles during this period, "waiting" for the Holy Spirit to come, and the absence of this prayer makes a strong statement of our profound need for the Holy Spirit. http://www.orthodox.net/questions/bright_week_1.html

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »

I'm not sure. Perhaps Christ washing away our sins? This old tradition dates back to pagan worship of water as the life-giving element. (Sort of how the tradition of Pysanky goes back to Pagan times and has been "Christianized.")

I remember when I used to attend an OCA parish they used to squirt one another on Bright Monday with water, so I'm assuming that both Russians and Ukrainians do this. I could be wrong, since the parish was made up of Russians, Ukrainians, Romanians, and Georgians.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:23:26 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »

Also, more of a liturgical tradition:  the prayer to the Holy Spirit, "O Heavenly King", said in almost every Orthodox prayer service is NOT said from Paschal matins (the first service of the Pentecostarion), which begins at midnight on the Sunday of Pascha, until the Vespers service for Pentecost. Anywhere this prayer occurs it is omitted, and until Ascension Thursday, is substituted with the Paschal troparion (Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life), sung three times. We are like the Apostles during this period, "waiting" for the Holy Spirit to come, and the absence of this prayer makes a strong statement of our profound need for the Holy Spirit. http://www.orthodox.net/questions/bright_week_1.html

Also, no kneeling until Pentacost!

Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:06:43 AM »

Does that include no prostrations? 

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:15:00 AM »

Not much work this week, traditionally Wink
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »

Also, more of a liturgical tradition:  the prayer to the Holy Spirit, "O Heavenly King", said in almost every Orthodox prayer service is NOT said from Paschal matins (the first service of the Pentecostarion), which begins at midnight on the Sunday of Pascha, until the Vespers service for Pentecost. Anywhere this prayer occurs it is omitted, and until Ascension Thursday, is substituted with the Paschal troparion (Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life), sung three times. We are like the Apostles during this period, "waiting" for the Holy Spirit to come, and the absence of this prayer makes a strong statement of our profound need for the Holy Spirit. http://www.orthodox.net/questions/bright_week_1.html

Does that include no prostrations?  
Indeed it does.

One local custom in my parish:  Those of us who show up for Divine Liturgy on Bright Monday morning will go out for breakfast at one of the local restaurants afterward.  I ate a three-egg sausage and brie omelette this morning.  Quite good.  (Burp!)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:26:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:17:36 AM »

In the EOTC we have a 50 day Feast period after Fasika/Easter until Pentecost. This is the only time of the year that we do not have to fast on Wednesdays and Fridays. Smiley

Selam
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:18:39 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »

I've always thought that hosing each other off on Easter Monday is typical Polish tradition and I never heard that it's common in Ukraine too, especially while it's unpractised by Orthodox minorities in Poland (Belarusians, Ukrainians, Lemkos, Podlachians). I think it has pagan origins and is not related to Christianity at all. Every excuse to make young girls soaking wet is a good one.

We only visit cemeteries during the first two weeks after Easter.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:00:47 AM »

Theres a Tradition in my parish that on Bright Monday after the liturgy we all gather in the parish hall for a brunch  and the younger kids go outside and soak each other with water it went on for hours Smiley

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »

We throw water at girls on St. George's day (on Eastertide most of the time, anyway), but in other regions of Romania they do it on the second day of Easter. The Hungarians do it too, on that day.
Also, they used to start holding the  village Sunday dance, on Easter, after the interruption caused by Lent.
Chacci

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »

My Antiochian Church gathers with the Russian Church at a nearby park to have a BBQ every year for Bright Monday.  THere is usually some kite flying, some flag football, and some music.  This year it was too cold to have it at the park so we met at my Priests house.  Some of us more hardcore manly types still stood outside tending the BBQ untill it got a little to unbearably cold - then we went inside. 
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »

I'm not sure. Perhaps Christ washing away our sins? This old tradition dates back to pagan worship of water as the life-giving element. (Sort of how the tradition of Pysanky goes back to Pagan times and has been "Christianized.")

I remember when I used to attend an OCA parish they used to squirt one another on Bright Monday with water, so I'm assuming that both Russians and Ukrainians do this. I could be wrong, since the parish was made up of Russians, Ukrainians, Romanians, and Georgians.

It is a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition, water recalling our being "buried with Him and rising with Him" in our baptism, and our continual renewal of it each year at Holy Pascha.   At Pascha we celebrate the illumination of the newly baptized, on bright monday that the whole Bride of Christ was cleansed and born anew in this same waters.     
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »

A follow up question:  how many parishes have any significant number of people showing up to have bright week traditions?   
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »

My former Byzantine Catholic parish tried to make it fair by having the girls doused on Monday and the boys doused on Tuesday Smiley

The most common Bright Week tradition in my mission is eating lots of ham all week long.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »

Bright Monday is Shamm al-Nasiim (smelling the breeze) in Egypt.  We pic nic in the cemetary and you are supposed to eat eggs and fasiikh (rotten fish: now some people settle for canned tuna).  I can't stand either, and eat Pascha leftovers.

We used to color eggs on Shamm al-Nasiim, but my sons said that they were too old this year, and I don't eat eggs.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »

My Bright Week tradition is to eat at every fast food joint in my general area, and try to have the strength to fast from anything that even remotely resembles a bean or a vegetable.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »

My Bright Week tradition is to eat at every fast food joint in my general area, and try to have the strength to fast from anything that even remotely resembles a bean or a vegetable.

YES!!!! You da MAN!! Pizza, burgers, roasts, kebab, ....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:26:24 PM by LBK » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »

It is a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition]It is a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
It's rather a Central European / Austro-Hungarian tradition shared by all peoples of the former empire. Possibly even more.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:01:25 AM by augustin717 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

It is a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition]It is a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
It's rather a Central European / Austro-Hungarian tradition shared by all peoples of the former empire. Possibly even more.

It is a Central/Eastern European custom. I recall when i lived in Buffalo, NY, home to a large Polish American Catholic population that Easter Monday was called 'Dingus Day' with a large parade and parties withthe splashing of water on young ladies being a featured part of the activities. (The best smoked kolbasa/kielbasi was from the Broadway Market! Wonder if they still have it?)  My father was pastor of several Carpatho-Rusyn parishes in the northeast and lived in New Jersey as a boy and he told me that the observance differed from region to region and was not universal, probably depending on what sort of neighbors shared the village or region in the 'Old Country.'
Tags: Pascha Bright Week 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: