OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:32:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritual Drought  (Read 753 times) Average Rating: 0
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:44 AM »

I feel like I'm quite literally in the middle of a spiritual drought, it feels very dry.
My prayers feel empty even with meditation.
And I mean and try to feel everything that I ask for and I pray just as much and maybe even more, but after the prayer it feels like nothing was ever said.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »

"Do not be cast down over the struggle--the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant" - St. Siloan the Athonite

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:01 AM »

Do some LSD, have an incredible life-changing spiritual experience, and then return to normal life spiritually regenerated.

EDIT: Actually, no. Don't do drugs. Nonetheless, some sort of spiritual experience could be just what you need. I find such experiences in prayer, in the liturgy, in the ecclesiastical chant of the Orthodox Church, and in studying theology. There have literally been times when the beauty of the liturgy has nearly reduced me to tears - during the Bridegroom Matins on Holy Tuesday, I was utterly blown away by the choir's powerful chanting of the Alleluiarion. As I listened to those powerful voices chant that incredible inspired melody all I could think about was my love for God, and all I could feel was the most incredible assurance of God's existence (something which I need, because I often struggle with doubts, unfortunately). Once after a theology class I stayed back to talk to the lecturer (A Catholic priest) about some of the things which had been discussed in the class, and I left feeling overwhelmed with love for God and passion for my spirituality.

Also, good works bring about spiritual passion, as Tolstoy could surely tell you in his book 'Resurrection.'
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:22:36 AM by Feanor » Logged
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »

I feel like I'm quite literally in the middle of a spiritual drought, it feels very dry.
My prayers feel empty even with meditation.
And I mean and try to feel everything that I ask for and I pray just as much and maybe even more, but after the prayer it feels like nothing was ever said.

Do not let it bother you.  According to my Godfather, a monk in the ROCOR, prayer is often most beneficial when you feel just as you do now.  By continuing your prayers when the feeling is dead, you pray for the sake of praying and not because it makes you feel good.  Rejoice that you are being tempted this way.  The devil does not tempt those that are his.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:12:29 AM »

The word for this is accidie:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14479.msg206002.html#msg206002 

Just continue to pray as best you can.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:43:12 AM »

I hope that one day you will become like me. Every time I pray I experience the radiance of divine light. All my troubles melt away, and I have no more worries. I feel the immediate presence of God, and I have great peace. I know that my prayers will be quickly answered, and sometimes I can see the halo above my head. When I finish praying I go and shower my wife with kindness and sacrificial service. I instantly forgive all who have wronged me. All thoughts of lust and passion are dissipated, my body feels strengthened, and it feels like I am in the third heaven with St. Paul. This is what I experience every time I pray, read the Bible, fast, and attend the Divine Liturgy.

Yeah, right. If only... Wink

Selam   

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Tags: accidie 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: