OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:36:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home incense burner questions  (Read 1510 times) Average Rating: 5
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 05, 2010, 01:41:27 AM »

Has anyone ever used "Athonite Charcoal Powder" instead of the more common self-lighting charcoals in their home-incense burner? If so, could you tell me about how it worked out and whether you were satisfied with it? Here is a link describing it:

http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/ccp6/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CHARCOALPWD

Also, does anyone else have trouble getting the incense to burn in a home censer? I was using some self-lighting coals and they always seemed to die down and the incense didn't burn unless I blew on it and I didn't want to have to sit there and tend the incense instead of praying! (When I lived out in the country I also used to just use wood coals from my fire pit and/or wood-burning stove, but of course, that went out even quicker! -- it had the advantage of being basically free.)

I figured it was because I wasn't swinging the censer around like in church that the coal was going out, but when I serve altar at church the coal is always hot and ready-to-go from just sitting there waiting when we put incense on it. We were using the star coals at church. Are they more reliable?

I read that some people suggest putting sand and or gravel in the bottom of the burner to distribute the heat and air more evenly? Anyone tried this?

Also, I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what I'm supposed to do with an incense burner at home? Does it just sit there? It's got a handle: should you pick it up and "wave it around"?

Thanks!

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:58 AM »

Also, I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what I'm supposed to do with an incense burner at home? Does it just sit there? It's got a handle: should you pick it up and "wave it around"?

Most people would pay homage to the holy personages in the icons by censing them at the beginning of a rule of prayer.  During the time when you commence to pray and are saying the Trisagion through to the Our Father, take the hand censer and incense each icon moving the censer to form the sign of the Cross before each icon, up, down, left to right.  If anybody is praying with you, cense them too.

People also go through their house once a week and cense the rooms usually in preparation for Sunday or a Feastday, some people do it every day.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:44:09 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:43:06 AM »

I read that some people suggest putting sand and or gravel in the bottom of the burner to distribute the heat and air more evenly? Anyone tried this?

Let the ashes from the used charcoal build up in the bottom of the censer, to a depth of about 1/3 of a normal hand censer.  Burn the fresh charcoal on top of these ashes.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:38 AM »

Most people would pay homage to the holy personages in the icons by censing them at the beginning of a rule of prayer.  During the time when you commence to pray and are saying the Trisagion through to the Our Father, take the hand censer and incense each icon moving the censer to form the sign of the Cross before each icon, up, down, left to right.  If anybody is praying with you, cense them too.

People also go through their house once a week and cense the rooms usually in preparation for Sunday or a Feastday, some people do it every day.

Thanks for your help (both your replies)! That's actually what I was doing based on my guessing (I know I know I shouldn't just make up stuff, but hey, I guessed right. When in doubt, do it cruciform!) Once, I also censed the seedlings I was growing in my garden this way, while asking God to help them grow; is that kosher?

Christ is risen!

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:41:56 AM »

Such "Athonite Charcoal Powder" actually be used in many monasteries,traditional parish and families(not need to be 'athonite',you can make it by yourself,if you know the method). It's nature,non-chemic,and healthy.
To use this kind of powder,first you should have enough ashes in your censer,then make a "hole" in the middle of it, fill poeder into the hole(as much as you need,one spoon is good enough for cense once. After this,you 'bury'the powder with ashes,only leave a small spot uncovered.Now you have your censer ready.
Almost ten minutes before censing,light the bare spot of powder with a waxed-lampwick(or whatever other stuff,one matchstick for example). You just wait till the whole powder be turned on,then put incense on it.
Tags: incense  charcoal  charcoal powder icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: