OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 3-D Image: The face of Jesus? (from the History Channel)  (Read 4025 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: April 01, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »

Deesis/Hagia Sophia

A youtube on the History Channel's new computer image from the Shroud of Turin can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X-v53WYwYI
I have always thought the Shroud images were a dead ringer of the Pantokrator, gold coins from Justinian's reign, etc. (see below), but wow, this new image really looks like Christ Pantokrator to me. What do you guys think?

ICONOGRAPHIC IMAGES OF JESUS
Pantocrator or Pantokrator (Παντοκράτωρ) is the title used by the LXX to translate the Hebrew title El Shaddai ( אל שדי‎); Christians ascribed the title to Jesus.

The most common translation of Pantocrator is "Almighty" or "All-powerful” Pan, "all" + κρατος, “strength”; omnipotent; it may also be understood as denoting Ruler/Sustainer (κρατεω "to sustain”).

In the NT παντοκράτορος is used once by Paul (2 Cor 6:18, of the Father) and 9X in the book of Revelation, also of the Father (παντοκράτορος or παντοκράτωρ). Rev 21:22 says of the New Jerusalem, “I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God, the Almighty, and the Lamb, are its temple.” The Father and the Son are its temple –Gk. singular!

What did Christ look like? During the sixth century a variety of images of Jesus were said to be derived from an image "not made with hands"/αχειροποίητα; cf. Mk 14.58; 2 Cor 5:1). Comparing the images below, notice how the photo of the Shroud of Turin, the image of Christ from a gold coin during the reign of Justinian II (dating between AD 692 and 695), the Pantokrator icons from Hagia Sophia in Constantinople (built under the personal supervision of Emperor Justinian I), and the monastery at traditional Mt. Sinai etc. all look similar.

The Eastern Orthodox Church still observes a feast commemorating the transfer from Edessa to Constantinople of a relic known as the Holy Mandylion "not made by hands" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_of_Edessa

Ian Wilson suggested the theory that the object venerated as the Mandylion from at least the sixth century was in fact the Shroud of Turin, folded so that only the face was visible and enclosed in a frame (Wilson, Ian, The Turin Shroud: The Burial Cloth of Jesus Christ?). A tenth century codex, Codex Vossianus Latinus Q 69 refers to an eighth-century description of an imprint of Christ's entire body left on a canvas kept in a church in Edessa: "King Abgar received a cloth on which one can see not only a face but the whole body" (in Latin: [non tantum] faciei figuram sed totius corporis figuram cernere poteris). Subsequent studies attempting to date the Shroud still remain highly controversial and subject to divergent interpretations.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:58:58 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:18:53 PM »

I saw the program and was moved. Most impressive.  I have always believed that the shroud was the burial shroud of Christ.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »

Beautiful!!!

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »

I've always thought the same thing
look at this comparison photo side by side. Hey xariskai You've beaten me to being the first one to make a topic on this on this forum.

http://www.shroudofturin4journalists.com/pantocrator.htm

Personally I think what happened was: the shroud of Edessa was stolen by the crusaders so that's why the Roman catholics have the shroud.
http://www.shroudofturin4journalists.com/history.htm

But that's just my opinion. someone please tell me what really happened.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:50:17 AM by Christianus » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:28:26 AM »

I always thought the shroud was an invention of the Middle Ages.  Fortunately, our faith is not based on a piece of cloth.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »

I always thought the shroud was an invention of the Middle Ages.  Fortunately, our faith is not based on a piece of cloth.
Good point.  It's nice to think that the Shroud of Turin can bolster our faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, but if we don't believe the witness of the Church, I don't think the Shroud is going to help.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »

I always thought the shroud was an invention of the Middle Ages.  Fortunately, our faith is not based on a piece of cloth.
Good point.  It's nice to think that the Shroud of Turin can bolster our faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, but if we don't believe the witness of the Church, I don't think the Shroud is going to help.
C14 is reliable enough over the range where it is calibrated by dendrochronology etc., however as it turned out the dating was again called into question after one of the original scientists who did the dating demonstrated in a peer reviewed publication that the Shroud portion which was used as a sample had been rewoven in the Middle Ages  http://www.shroud.com/late05.htm#rogersc14;
 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tca.2004.09.029

The possible relationship to iconography and the Mandylion is intriguing once again considering the early literary descriptions and the re-opening of the issue of dating. As a "verificationalist apologetic" it will likely always remain inconclusive. I don't claim to know it to be the authentic burial cloth of Jesus, but the final chapter in the scientific analysis of the Shroud has yet to be written. http://www.shroud.com/

Hey xariskai You've beaten me to being the first one to make a topic on this on this forum.
Hey Christianus, you snooze you loose ;-)  Actually I posted just before the shut-down for Pascha rather than after; sometimes the last will be first ;-)

Quote from: Christianus
Personally I think what happened was: the shroud of Edessa was stolen by the crusaders so that's why the Roman catholics have the shroud.
http://www.shroudofturin4journalists.com/history.htm

But that's just my opinion. someone please tell me what really happened.
I haven't done primary research on this so I can't fully vouch for it, but there is an interesting attempt at possible history/historiography of the Shroud here  www.shroud.com/pdfs/sorensen2.pdf

As to Peter's and Gamliel's remarks to the effect that our faith does not rest on a piece of cloth I fully agree. Whatever scientific assessment of the Shroud ultimately concludes at a bare minimum we can still confidently affirm this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:24:54 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:41:43 AM »

Good point.  It's nice to think that the Shroud of Turin can bolster our faith in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, but if we don't believe the witness of the Church, I don't think the Shroud is going to help.
Then why do you have all these relics of the saints?
Like bones and stuff?
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:51:17 AM »

Similarity to the Pantokrator icons aside, I can't help but wonder if southern Italian rather than middle eastern skin tone was interpolated by the person (southern Italian?) doing the computer reconstruction rather than being a quality suggested by the image itself.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:51:54 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »

Very interesting (and pointed) consideration. Does anyone here have the computer savvy to enhance the two images from the program and restore a more Middle Eastern complexion?
Layman Dan

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »

Kind of looks like Jim Caviezel.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/127213040_efbd368cf5.jpg
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:57:53 PM by Layman Dan » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »

Like bones and stuff?
We don't believe in the resurrection of the dead because of what we believe about relics of the saints.  We believe what we believe about relics of the saints because of our belief in the resurrection of the dead.  If Jesus had remained dead, we would have no saints, hence no wonder-working relics.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »

This is what convinces me: 1) it's a photographic negative image, and 2) it is functionally a topographic image, which one of the posted images above demonstrates. Neither of these are found, in the form of art or otherwise, until the modern day, because both depend on modern technology. It's highly unlikely some enterprising artist could have possibly made this, whether in the Middle Ages or the First Century.

Not that my faith depends on it, but I do believe it's the real deal. Very cool images, I will have to watch for this show to air again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:25:48 PM by bogdan » Logged
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »

They carbon dated the medieval resowing (repairs) on the shroud of turin.
The original shroud of Turin wasn't carbon dated.
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »

They carbon dated the medieval resowing (repairs) on the shroud of turin.
The original shroud of Turin wasn't carbon dated.
Which is something I'm sure they knew in the first place, which is good evidence FOR the Turin that it wasn't 1700 something, etc.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 02:17:52 AM »

Like bones and stuff?

Are relics used to bolster a wavering faith, or for some other purpose... oh, well then...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 02:37:17 AM »

I'd somewhat wary of anything shown on the Hysteria Channel.

Proverbs 22:7
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »

Perhaps this deserves a bump considering the recent scientific analysis suggesting a first century date.

Silly Stars
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »

Interesting. I can't believe I missed this. Thanks for sharing.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »

Interesting. I saw this a couple years back. It's not too new. But anyhow, I was surprised by how remarkably similar the face looks to some of our Icons of Christ. For something that's like almost 2,000 years old, that looks pretty similar.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 05:02:12 AM »

Here's a discussion of the most recent dating (by three methods) of the shroud pointing to the first century:
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/inquiries-and-interviews/detail/articolo/sindone-23579/

As I noticed the above link to the History Channel video above is now broken here is another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNJPJ4JwHeE&feature=youtu.be

Silly Stars
Tags: Shroud of Turin King Abgar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: