OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:56:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip to Miami  (Read 1473 times) Average Rating: 0
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« on: January 05, 2004, 11:30:20 AM »

Hello all,

I'm asking for prayers for myself and my grandparents, John and Olga, as I make my way down to Miami Tuesday morning to see them.  

My grandmother lives in an assisted living home after she suffered a stroke, and my grandfather now lives alone and sees her every day, stays with her all day long.  He is also scheduled to have surgery while I'm down there, so I can look after him, keep him company.  

I don't exactly know what kind of surgery it is, I couldn't understand when he told me because he doesn't speak english that well, and I dont speak spanish that well.  

Please also pray that we can get past this language barrier.  Wink

Kim

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 11:36:39 AM »

May you receive the gift of tongues Smiley And you have my unworthy prayers

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 11:48:03 AM »

and my grandfather now lives alone and sees her every day, stays with her all day long.  He is also scheduled to have surgery while I'm down there, so I can look after him, keep him company.  

That's what love is about, I hope I'm able to love my wife as much as your grandpa loves his.

many prayers
robert

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 11:59:33 AM »

u got mine hun Smiley and yes, gift of tongues, that'd be kewl Smiley Smiley Smiley hehe

~*Donna Smiley

hmmmm...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:13:42 PM »

Prayers for your safe trip and for your grandparents.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 03:41:30 PM »

Many prayers Kim - for your grandparents and your trip

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 03:21:45 AM »

I thank you all for your prayers.  I just returned today (1/14) from Miami after spending so much time with the grandparents.  Abuela is doing fine, the stroke left her with severely impaired speech and an unusable right arm.  

Like I said before about my grandfather, his entire life is dedicated to taking care of her, with little regard for himself.  He is very religious in his own "rite" (pardon the pun).   He is evangelical, I believe, and spent most of the time telling me to read the Bible and saying that the pope is a malicious gestapo and that praying to Mary or to any saints at all is useless because they won't hear you, and that i should take the crucifix off of my neck because it has Jesus on the cross. (He's not there! He was ressurected! --I know grandpa, I know He is.)

"Ningun religion te salva.  Solo Dios puede salvarte" he would repeat to me. (I don't know Spanish, this is me trying to remember what he said...)  I understand what he's trying to get across, but I pray he'd spend less time and energy criticising other groups of people, especially me!

Thank goodness I got back safely from the flight into the blizzard.

Please continue to pray for my grandfather (and grandmother, at that), he is a good man in his heart, he just talks too much Tongue

Kim

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 03:06:26 PM »

May God hold your grandmother and devoted grandfather in the palm of his hand.

Peace to you.

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 04:22:52 PM »

Amen to that, and glad you got back safely

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up