OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: im torn on what to do now  (Read 349 times) Average Rating: 0
jewish voice
High Elder

« on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

I never heard back from the priest of the eo church in my town. Only other close orthodox church is coptic to me at 40 mi away. Should I try there? Part of me don't want to drive that far when I'm home as my job is already driving everyday. Part of me thinks maybe I should just go to the rc church that I can walk to if I wanted. I like orthodoxy though but don't like the jumping through hoops feeling  I seam faced with.  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:31:46 PM by jewish voice » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »

When I've reached out to priests (e.g., phone, email) and they haven't responded, but I knew for sure the parish had services on a given day and time, I just showed up and chased him down after the service.  Smiley

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »

Have you tried going to one of their services during the week (don't have to be Sunday if you're busy that day)?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

When I've reached out to priests (e.g., phone, email) and they haven't responded, but I knew for sure the parish had services on a given day and time, I just showed up and chased him down after the service.  Smiley
be nice but I'm nnot home much. I haven't been home in 3 weeks.
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from reporting
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »

A lot of priests are just notoriously bad with answering emails. Just go to the Liturgy, you'll be fine.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »

Have you tried going to one of their services during the week (don't have to be Sunday if you're busy that day)?
just don't ever seam to get home when there are services
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »

A lot of priests are just notoriously bad with answering emails. Just go to the Liturgy, you'll be fine.
I'm a otr driver. Over the road trucker. I'm just never home much
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »

If you were to take a wild guess, how often would you get to go to church?  Once a month?  Once every three months?  A couple of times a year?

jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »

If you were to take a wild guess, how often would you get to go to church?  Once a month?  Once every three months?  A couple of times a year?
couple times a year. I think I'd be thanksgiving Christmas Easter goer not by choice but my job
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »

couple times a year. I think I'd be thanksgiving Christmas Easter goer not by choice but my job

I thought so.  That's a tough situation.

Is there any chance that, while you're on the road, you would be able to go to a church on Sunday?  Like even if you were just passing through town and were not a member of the parish?

quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »

Are you in specific cities during specific times of the month?  Do you have different loads all the time and go all over the country or do you have specific contracts?  If you are anywhere with any kind of regularity you can find a church in the city you are currently in if you have some time to stop (?) and peek into a church and just introduce yourself to a priest.  Let him know that you are a otr driver but you may be back and that city more and are really very interested in talking to him.  Ask him then if you can contact him once a week by email. 

Who knows - maybe? 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

I thought so.  That's a tough situation.

Is there any chance that, while you're on the road, you would be able to go to a church on Sunday?  Like even if you were just passing through town and were not a member of the parish?

very hard to do so. Some truck stops have chapels but there not orthodox or Catholic. Maybe something the church could look into doing. I meet lots of Russian folks out here driving.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »

wow, that's tough, that's like people who work on ships and who are at sea most of the time.
it would take a lot of organising to work out where you will be at a time there may be services ahead of time, i pray God will guide you with this.
some churches have regular liturgies at different times, e.g. one of the coptic churches in london has services at 5am on Tuesdays and Thursday, and another church i know (my 'home' church) has regular saturday evening prayers with a talk by the priest following it and people hanging out afterwards for tea and coffee.

maybe you could map out your route and look on the internet for service times of churches on the way. maybe you'll bump into other drivers on the way and encourage each other.
but don't give up looking.
i am sure that if you keep looking, you will find what you are looking for.
our Lord loves all people on the earth and is searching for you to have a deep and peaceful relationship with you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »

You could start by buying an icon and placing it in your truck. Not as good as actually attending a church but better than nothing.

jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »

You could start by buying an icon and placing it in your truck. Not as good as actually attending a church but better than nothing.
yes st Nicholas seams to be the orthodox saint of truck drivers. I'm trying to make sure before I buy one though make sure he is

Would like to get something started cause one never knows. I don't want to be buried as a Muslim not that it would matter till resurrect time then have to run by demons  be kinda like the toll house lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:56:19 PM by jewish voice » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 03:13:27 AM »

He seems to be considered as a patron of travellers in general. Our system of patron Saints is not as systematized as that of RCs. Judging by the fact that most icon stores sell mostly just icons of Christ, the Mother of God and St. Nicholas you can't go wrong with St. Nicholas. Maybe he's a super-Saint for everything. Tongue

My friend had an icon which had St. Nicholas on the other side and Christ on the other side hanging from his car's rear-view mirror.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 04:58:49 AM »

St Nicholas is indeed a kind of "patron saint of everything": children, unmarried girls, orphans, mariners, travelers, those in prison or on trial, and that's just the start.

Russians have a saying, which is not only not intended to be irreverent, but shows just how highly this saint is venerated, and how powerful an intercessor he is: If anything ever happened to God, at least we'll have St Nicholas.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

Russians have a saying, which is not only not intended to be irreverent, but shows just how highly this saint is venerated, and how powerful an intercessor he is: If anything ever happened to God, at least we'll have St Nicholas.

LOL.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »

very hard to do so. Some truck stops have chapels but there not orthodox or Catholic. Maybe something the church could look into doing. I meet lots of Russian folks out here driving.

My advice is to call, write, and/or email any Orthodox bishop/priest you want and explain your situation.  I'm not sure what can be done in your circumstances, but that's probably just my ignorance.  There must be someone out there with experience ministering to people in situations where regular church attendance is not possible for good reasons.  I have my own ideas about what you could do, but I think it's better to try a real cleric.  And by "any bishop/priest you want", I really do mean any.  If they are popular online but not living in your country or even on your continent, I'd still try them.  If nothing else, they might know someone.     

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

One time I heard Ancient Faith Today from AFR and a caller complained how she is an old handicapped Orthodox woman who has been neglected by the priest to minister to her.  So they said that they will be willing to help her, and they graciously had her stay on the line with someone else, taking her information and seeing how they might reach out to her.  Some priests may have a lot on their plate to handle, but in other times, I do feel there is no excuse that any servant in your area shouldn't be available to help in some way or another.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: