Author Topic: Growing up and Confession  (Read 127 times)

Offline Dan-Romania

• High Elder
Growing up and Confession
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:05:08 AM »
After a certain age many people stop going to Confession and seing much point in it. They realise that having a few parties, going to prostitutes, gambling a little and so and so on, do not hang any weight upon their conscience, on the contrary it even makes them feel good and makes them happy and it is part of their becoming. So what point is there for them to go to Confession?
This user no longer posts here.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
Re: Growing up and Confession
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
Confession isn't just about feeling guilty. I often confess even when I feel no remorse whatsoever for my sins. It's about that effort to be better even when you don't fully understand or want to. Furthermore, we believe that a real sacramental mystery takes place at absolution by which God truly does work something that is beneficial for our salvation, even if we blow our confession off.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • and dilatory dilettante
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
After a certain age many people stop going to Confession and seing much point in it. They realise that having a few parties, going to prostitutes, gambling a little and so and so on, do not hang any weight upon their conscience, on the contrary it even makes them feel good and makes them happy and it is part of their becoming. So what point is there for them to go to Confession?

In case such sons of Belial (do you really know that many?) might still be saved. Other than that, you are right, there would be no point.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:36:20 PM by Porter ODoran »
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:43:11 PM »
Confession isn't just about feeling guilty. I often confess even when I feel no remorse whatsoever for my sins. It's about that effort to be better even when you don't fully understand or want to. Furthermore, we believe that a real sacramental mystery takes place at absolution by which God truly does work something that is beneficial for our salvation, even if we blow our confession off.

What do you mean, "blow our confession off"?  There is a difference between "not feeling" remorse and "not caring". 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »

Well, it's probably better for priests when people confess from some funny interesting stuff and not bore them to death.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »
Isn't that called searing the conscience? And there is admonition on that, no?
I can justify any sin I or others do, no prob but as James and others pointed out, that ain't the point.

I must confess I personally did run into something similar while growing up. Religious upbringing, schooling and such. Teen years were tough and sin ran amok. As I grew up I found confession could be an almost hourly deal, so phtttttt I piffle, said I.
I learned to "rationalize" my issues for the next half-century. So it is now automatic and requires arduous mentation. Lots don't want to do such, so searing the conscious is so much easier.
Lent is a drag in that sense as it is a time of true reflection on one's self for the purpose of the realization of God and us.  Of course it is also a joy as well when one recalls we asked to be enlightened by way of His illumination.
As today is Forgiveness Sunday, those that gamble, whore, drink, sin proudly and such have to much Pride to ask forgiveness all while needing it badly. Their "feeling good & happy" is the illusion.
Pray for them as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:57:12 AM by LenInSebastopol »
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • and dilatory dilettante
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
Isn't that called searing the conscience?

Straightforwardly, yes -- altho that is technically a quote from St. Paul, prophesying to St. Timothy about the rise of heresies and false asceticisms.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:06:26 PM by Porter ODoran »
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus