OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triduum  (Read 1189 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« on: March 31, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »

I was wondeing if the east had any Concept of the Tridium as it stands in the west.

A Blessed Great week

David

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »

I assume you mean Triduum. There is Holy Week, though I don't know that the last three days are singled out as any more special than the others.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:06:09 AM »

I assume you mean Triduum. There is Holy Week, though I don't know that the last three days are singled out as any more special than the others.
That's an interesting thought.  I would think that the last three days of Holy Week (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) are the reason why we even have Holy Week.
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »

That's an interesting thought.  I would think that the last three days of Holy Week (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) are the reason why we even have Holy Week.
Yes, that's true. My point was, in the Western church(es) it seems like there's Holy Week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then Holy Thursday, Holy Friday, and Holy Saturday. In Orthodoxy Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are also called "Holy" and "Great."

I could be wrong though (and probably am).
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »

According to wikipedia:

Easter Triduum, Holy Triduum, or Paschal Triduum is the period of three days from Holy Thursday (seen as beginning with the service of the preceding evening) to Easter Day. It begins with the Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper and ends with evening prayer on Sunday.[1]

Since the 1955 reform by Pope Pius XII, the Easter Triduum, including as it does Easter Sunday, has been more clearly distinguished as a separate liturgical period. Previously, all these celebrations were advanced by more than twelve hours. The Mass of the Lord's Supper and the Easter Vigil were celebrated in the morning of Thursday and Saturday respectively, and Holy Week and Lent were seen as ending only on the approach of Easter Sunday.

After the Gloria in Excelsis Deo at the Mass of the Lord's Supper all church bells are silenced and the organ is not used. so that the period that lasted from Thursday morning to before Easter Sunday began was once, in Anglo-Saxon times, referred to as "the still days". [2]

In the Roman Catholic Church, weddings, which were once prohibited throughout the entire season of Lent and during certain other periods as well,[3] are prohibited during the Triduum. Lutherans still discourage weddings during the entirety of Holy Week and the Triduum.

Some comments from an Orthodox perspective:

1. These three days are not a distinct period of Holy Week, other than that the Bridegroom Services of Holy Week end on the evening of Holy Wednesday. All of Holy Week is a series which retraces the events prior to, and including, Christ's Passion, Crucifixion, burial and, on Easter Day itself, His Resurrection.

2. Orthodox weddings are expressly forbidden throughout the whole of Great Lent, as well as during Holy Week. Funerals are permitted during all this time, as are requiems during Great Lent. Funerals are permitted during Bright Week (the week between Easter and Thomas' Sunday), but not requiems. The form of a Bright Week funeral is, in essence, a condensed Resurrection Matins.

3. There is a beautiful and reverent Greek tradition for the Matins of Great Friday (the service held on Holy Thursday evening), where a single church bell is tolled at intervals during the chanting of Antiphon 15:

Today is hung upon a Tree, who hung the earth upon the waters. He is arrayed in a crown of thorns, who is King of the Angels. He is wrapped in the purple of mockery, who wraps the heavens in clouds.  He receives blows on the face, who freed Adam in the Jordan. He is transfixed with nails, who is the Bridegroom of the Church. He is pierced by a lance, who is the Son of the Virgin. We venerate Your Passion, O Christ. We venerate Your Passion, O Christ. We venerate Your Passion, O Christ. Show us also Your glorious Resurrection.

4. A Slavic custom of Holy Thursday evening is the tolling of a single bell at the beginning of the reading of each Passion Gospel, with the number of tolls corresponding to the sequence of each Gospel. One for the first, two for the second, etc.
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:25:59 AM »

The Orthodox Paschal Triduum is further distinguished liturgically from the rest of Holy Week in that the Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian is not said at any of the services

The Royal Hours on Holy Friday are, in fact, the Paramoni of Pascha (a Paramoni is normally celebrated on the day before Christmas and Epiphany, but never during a weekend, so when either Christmas or Epiphany falls on Sunday or Monday, the Paramoni, with Royal Hours, is observed on the preceding Friday).

The Orthros of Holy Saturday (Lamentations), because it is a weekend service, does not have the opening chating of Ps. 19-20 with kazion censing, as is characteristic of the Bridegroom services and the Orthros of the Passion, nor the solemn Alleluias before the Apolytikion, but rather is like an Orthros outside Lent, with displacements made for the Lamentations and the Epitaphios Procession.

Peculiar to Orthodoxy is the "First Resurrection" service, a Vesperal Divine Liturgy preceded by appropriate Prophecy readings, including the entire book of Jonah.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:00:20 AM »

I don't have my book here at home, but... I remember from my Holy Week class that the celebration of Holy Week/Lent began as a 3-day (Holy Fri - Pascha), and then slowly expanded to what it is now.  As the celebration/remembrance expanded, so did the fast - from the 3-day, to 1 week, and then adding the 40 day which was originally only for those preparing for a Paschal reception into the Church.  I wish I could say, "I'll get you the reference when I get to work," but this week is a bit too busy for me to be able to follow through with a promise like that.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:05:04 AM »

Yes I did mean Triduum. Thanks Grin

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:49:42 AM »

Thread title changed to eliminate confusion.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »

I found the reference: Fr. Calivas' book, "Great Week and Pascha in the Greek Orthodox Church."  He speaks about the development of the celebration in his introductory section (pages 1-19, but the area of interest here is pages 1-5), touching on the expansion of the fast, the debate about the day (14 Nissan or the Sunday after), and the expansion of the commemorations (into what we now call Great and Holy Week).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »

Thread title changed to eliminate confusion.
Thanks for that

Christ Has Risen!!!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: