OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:03:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions regarding Guardian Angels  (Read 848 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 01, 2010, 02:15:37 AM »

What do the Eastern Orthodox Holy Traditions tell us about our guardian angels?  How many does God assign to us?  Is it possible to behave or act so sinfully that our guardian angel(s) flee from us?  After repentance, will they return?  How do they guard us and from what do they guard us from? 

I respectfully request that if you are not sure of what Holy Tradition in the Eastern Orthodox Church teaches, please refrain from answering.  Thank you, friends. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:38:37 AM »

We are assigned one guardian angel at baptism. A look at the prayers to one's guardian angel, the canon to one's guardian angel (found, for instance, in the Jordanville prayer book) and the baptismal service should provide many answers.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:48 AM »

^^ Thank you, brother.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:59:19 AM »

I hope you don't mind me answering here. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church teaches that upon baptism we receive two guardian angels, one for the day and one for the night.

I too am very interested in learning more about the function of these guardian angels, as well as whether there are any specific prayers to these angels.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:15:32 AM »

The prayer said frequently at Compline (after the prayers in front of the icons of the Theotokos and Christ, near the end of the Compline):
O holy angel that standeth by my wretched soul and my passionate life, forsake not me a sinner, nor shrink from me because of mine intemperance.  Give no place for the cunning demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body, strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation.  Yea, O holy angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body, forgive me all wherein I have offended thee all the days of my life; and if I have sinned in anything this day, protect me during this present night, and guard me from every temptation of the enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin.  And pray to the Lord for me, that he may establish me in His fear, and show me, His servant, to be worthy of His goodness.  Amen.

The beginning of a prayer from the making of a Catechumen (this one comes right after the 3rd exorcism):
You, the Existing Sovereign Master and Lord, Who made man after Your own image and likeness and gave to him power of eternal life; and when he had fallen through sin did not disdain him, but did provide for him through  the Incarnation of Your Christ, the salvation of the world. Redeeming this Your creature from the yoke of the Enemy, receive him (her) into Your heavenly Kingdom. Open the eyes of his (her) understanding, so that the Illumination of Your Gospel may dawn upon him (her). Yoke unto his (her) life a shining Angel to deliver him (her) from every plot directed against him (her) by the Adversary, from encounter with evil, from the noon-day demon, and from evil dreams...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:16:04 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:20 AM »

All the Orthodox I know are very aware of the presence and the protection of their holy Guardian Angel and besides the regular Prayerbook prayers at morning and evening they pray to them during the day, to ask for help with an approaching problem or danger and to thank them when the danger is past.

A popular book is "The Holy Angels" by Mother Alexandra.  This covers the work of angels in the Old and New Testaments, their place in tradition and in the Liturgy and their work of protecting and guiding the souls to whom God assigns them.

"The Holy Angels" should be in your church library.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0932506100/holytrinity-20/002-7139132-1181654

"This book is a well-researched study of the Holy Angels from both the Eastern and Western Christian perspectives. Mother Alexandra's study begins with angels as presented in the Pentateuch and looks at them throughout the Prophets, the New Testament, and Church history. It also looks at how angels have been imaged throughout the ages in Orthodox iconography as well as Western Christian art. This study was prompted when Mother Alexandra was a young girl and actually saw her Guardian Angel. Before Mother Alexandra died, I was blessed to hear her speak about this experience. She writes about this experience in her book. "I'm as sure of it now as I was then," she says. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in learning more about angels and their purpose both in Heaven and on earth."

The Princess Ileana was born, Baptized, and Christmated in 1909 in Bucharest, Romania, the youngest daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Marie. She lived through WWI, and soon followed the example of her mother in works of charity. At the age of 22, she married Archduke Anton of Austria, with whom she had six children. In March 1944, she moved her family back to Castle Bran in Romania to escape Nazi oppression during WWII. There she built a hospital in honor of her mother before moving her family to Argentina, then the United States. When her children were grown, through college, and married, Princess Ileana devoted her life to God by becoming a nun. Mother Alexandra served as abbess of the Orthodox Monastery of the Transfiguration in Ellwood City, PA, until her repose in the Lord in 1991.

Mother Alexandra was blessed to actually see her guardian angel as a child - the angel who would protect and guide her throughout her difficult but faithful life.

Tags: guardian angels 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: